Author Topic: NO MORE LISTS  (Read 11848 times)

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
NO MORE LISTS
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:53:52 pm »
Lists do not generate discussion. Lists do not generate interest. Lists generate only more lists.

Therefore, there will be no more threads that begin with lists. Posts containing lists should also include something that says why the list is composed the way it is or some other entirely different line of discussion. Naturally, it would be best if you could write the post in some way that expressed the top X games or characters you like without the use of a list.

Current posts with lists only or threads starting with lists will be left alone, but future threads need to follow this rule I've posted. Ex-post-facto is lame.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
Re: NO MORE LISTS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:08:17 am »
*looks at importgamer13*

>.>

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
    • ROCK AND ROLL STRIKES BACK!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:26 am »
Have I told you how much I love you, Roommate?

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:06:59 am »
No you haven't.

Also, this was not created because of one poster's actions. I'm not calling names, I'm not singling anybody out. Even I've made list-posts, so I'm not clean of this either. I just want a little more discussion, and less of stuff that resembles my day-to-day list of chores.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

importgamer13

• The Professor Tomoe of the forum
  • Fan-fic writer. Anime/manga fan. Import gamer.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:37:39 am »
*looks at importgamer13*

>.>
..maybe i should just stick to nothing but fics...

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:35:35 pm »
Lol, I was just joking :o

Yeah Roomate, we all did list posts. I still don't mind doing them but eh..

importgamer13

• The Professor Tomoe of the forum
  • Fan-fic writer. Anime/manga fan. Import gamer.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:46 pm »
Lol, I was just joking :o
sorry...i'm still a bit rattled from the last time someone chewed me out about list topics....

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:44 pm »
One extra thing; let's not hijack the forum-rules stickies please.

EDIT: Moved the hijack to Community Chest. Couldn't figure out how to leave the bits that Tetsaru and the other posted, so it's in the new topic, but they agreed that lists need discussion with them. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:27:55 pm by HGsIndestruc.Roommate »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 11:26:52 pm »
Have I told you how much I love you, Roommate?

Maybe you should list all the ways.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:28:09 pm »
But you have to talk about them if you do.

Qwerty1

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 10:49:37 pm »
Lists do not generate discussion.

Lists do not generate interest.

Lists generate only more lists.
Lists have generated as much discussion as any other topic.

Lists generated my interest in this forum.

Lists generate an awareness of other fellow member's thoughts and opinions, interests, likes and dislikes; act as ice-breakers; and are extremely informative, especially considering they're concise. I did a number of Google searches based on what I read in lists here.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:53:53 pm »
I don't want a forum with a million threads that are nothing but lists. Rarely has anyone seen a list topic and bothered to make any discussion beyond making their own list. There's been no ice-breaking. Breaking the ice would lead to discussion. And why need ice-breakers anyhow? There's no ice to break.

In my discussions with other members of this forum, the opinion weighed heavily to the side of "List topics are crap". So I have instated these rules to clean it out of this forum. So, no more lists. That is the final word.

Qwerty1

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 09:01:27 am »
A  million threads that are nothing but lists? wtf?

Breaking the ice would lead to no discussion? That's like a complete contradiction.

Like I said, they broke the ice for me, but I wouldn't want to speak for anyone else.

Here's what should have happened:

PM from HGsWimpy.Roommate:

IG13, think you could hold off on the lists for a few? Let things settle down a bit.

Thanks!

Instead, Barney Fiffe syndrome took over and we have a sticky, a sticky mind you, "NO MORE LISTS."

That's basically why I made this thread.  My opinion's such that I don't particularly like threads like those, but that's also no reason for people who do like them to stop making them or posting in them.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 11:36:05 am »
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT IMPORTGAMER13. Everybody has made list threads or list posts at one point or another. This is not to single anybody out. This is to let the entire forum know that the lists are getting out of hand, because the entire forum is filling threads with lists that don't do anything but encourage piles of lists.

Do not sass the mods, thanks.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 03:25:37 pm »
How about...

======

PM from Qwerty1:

Dear ROMate,

Hi, I'm PMing you so that we can discuss lists.  I hope we can meet some common ground, because although as of late there have been many, in my opinion they're a valid form of discussion and we should continue to be able to post them without reprimand.

Thanks!

======

PM from ROMate:

Dear Qwerty1,

Thank you for PMing me.  I appreciate it since people have already tried to derail the sticky once already.  This way we can discuss our individual beliefs in a civilized and timely manner without the tension present from other people observing.  Personally, I don't care much for lists.  Actually, it's not so much lists I don't like so much as bad lists, and worse, bad threads made from bad lists.  Lately there have been lots of lists, and the current climate is such that until it dies down, I don't wanna see another list like Oprah doesn't wanna see another chocolate cake.

======

PM from Qwerty1:

Dear ROMate,

While Oprah does not want to see chocolate cake, she can't deny her yearning for it.  I believe this is because deep down inside, she knows she loves chocolate cake.  As for lists, I think they help break the ice when no one's posting.  When someone posts a list, someone reads it, and they post a list, and so on.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and neither is chocolate cake.

======

PM from ROMate:

Dear Qwerty1,

I disagree, but I respect your opinion. Chocolate cake pwns the Mother Theresa.  But, when someone posts a list, no one gets a chocolate cake, but everyone gets the ingredients for it.  I don't want ingredients! I want cake!  Give me cake!  Actuallly, I wouldn't mind topics that read off like an ingredients recipe if they had the chocolate cake included in the content.  Ingredients are nice, but chocolate cake is so much better, for example:

These are some parts that I think are really swell:

Autoparts: I like autoparts because because they fit on autos.
Planeparts: Wait, what do you care whether I like autoparts or not?
Trainparts: They make locomotives as fast as Superman.
Leonardo Da Vinci's Flying Machine parts: These parts are need to be imported and cost many Euros.

Know what I mean?

======

PM from Qwerty1:

Your butler wears combat boots!  I need to know all 20 of the things 'Poster A' likes!

That was in jest.  Seriously though good chap, while there have been many lists of late, I do not think that some are without merit.  It's when the lists are about things that people like instead of things that many find esteemed that they introduce an element of disinterest.  While this is indeed possible, we must keep DNA testing open for future generations of lists.  Yes, there have been some three eyed lists, but that doesn't necessarily mean all lists are bad, though the format does lead itself to quick overuse.  Chicken wing pot pie.

======

PM from ROMate:

Ah, I see your point, and while I'm inclined to agree in some respects, I'm going to get a soda.

======

PM from Qwerty1:

I hate you Gekiganger! You killed my brother Rokuro!

======

PM from ROMate:

I did it because I love you!

======

Post by Hyperguy:

In all seriousness though, I think any discussion beyond this point should be in another topic, or even better, taken to PM.  I'd lock this topic, except for the possibility that someone might follow with Viper Thumbnail Theatre quality content later.

Qwerty1

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 07:16:55 pm »
Do not sass the mods, thanks.
LOL!!! There are like, 20 members here! HA!! What a bitch.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:09:25 pm »
Actually there are 547 members.

Cole Tyger

• The Dark Lord of Overkill
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Master of the K-girl Fanfic
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 07:06:40 pm »
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ColeTyger/Posters/motivator33586c86ab8ea25b09a606663f.jpg
NO MORE LISTS

and now that that  has been said, i grant you this bit of wisdom

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ColeTyger/Posters/shutup.jpg
NO MORE LISTS

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 04:21:42 am »
I think this notice has been up long enough.  We should probably take it down now that the point's been made.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 01:08:31 pm »
Do what you like.