Author Topic: It's about time we talk about a good anime series!  (Read 11097 times)

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
    • ROCK AND ROLL STRIKES BACK!
It's about time we talk about a good anime series!
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:15:14 am »
Enough with the harem shit already! Let's generate some discussion on a real man's anime. People, I'm talking about-

MOTHERFUCKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR

Now, there's no major philisophical discussion (although if you're watching anime for enlightenment, you're fucking retarded), shoujo-esque love stories where the two main characters are batshit insanely in love with one another but then NEVER GET TOGETHER AT THE END, giant robots that do fucking cartwheels or some stupid shit like that, unfunny comedy, intelligence insulting plotlines designed to thinly disguise the fact that the female leads aren't wearing a whole lot of clothing or about two hundred episodes where nothing in the plot advances.

But what FotNS (Hokuto no Ken for those of you who have to have the authentic Japanese experience) DOES have is what scientists have labeled, "Fucking Awesome on Celluloid." Manly men making girly men explode using only their thumbs (as seen here).

Now wasn't that just the awesomest thing you've ever seen? I know some of you right now are grasping the sides of your head and screaming in terror and how EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER BEEN TAUGHT WAS A LIE AND I STILL LOVE FULL METAL ALCHEMIST!

You'll come around. You'll come around.

Anyways. Any men here watch this?

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: It's about time we talk about a good anime series!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:22:19 am »
Only that clip, but I've been sold on the utter manliness of this series for a long while. The fighting game of it was also brutally, aggressively manly.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

tsar

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • EVERYBODY DANCE!
    • deviantART is for fags
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:31:05 am »
I can't get into the game, it's too much like GGXX meets MVC2.

But, the game is fucking awesome to watch, at least when you've got two good players going at it. The action either goes back and forth like you would see in the show itself, or completely one-sided.

Also, the music rocks. Just like the show's.

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:31:19 am »
Christ, I forgot about the music!

The song title is even called "Tough Boy" for fucks' sake!

And it was apparently so badassed, an Italian heavy metal group (HIGHLORD) even did a cover!

The cover

And as Roommate mentioned, the new fighting game is amazing. With the exception of that game, Punchmania and the game for the Playstation, all the games have been absolutely terrible. Some pussy-ass developers fucked up the concept of making things explode with your bare hands in Last Battle, and I don't even want to get started on those jokes on the SNES.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:43:07 am »
I can't get into the game, it's too much like GGXX meets MVC2.

But, the game is fucking awesome to watch, at least when you've got two good players going at it. The action either goes back and forth like you would see in the show itself, or completely one-sided.

Also, the music rocks. Just like the show's.
I've seen videos, they're even more stupid crazy than GGX2. I actually think I'd like it due to the similarities to GG, but I'm not sure about the MvC part of the comparison. Didn't much like those games.

You know what else makes this anime so fucking badass? Other anime reference it. Onizuka in GTO dresses like Kenshiro and beats the fuck outta this gang of pussies.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

tsar

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • EVERYBODY DANCE!
    • deviantART is for fags
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 01:15:30 am »
GTO is another awesome series, but on topic:

The game is very MVCesque in that fights become "WHO HIT FIRST!?"

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:20:01 am »
Fist of the North Star was good, though the desert/post-apocalyptic setting put me off.  I watched it in Hong Kong in '93, when it would air right before DBZ around midnight.  I have to second GTO and Full Metal Alchemist as two of the best rounded series of all time.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:23:20 am »
Yeah, ok. I can understand that. I wish I knew more about the series, because I saw one match where it was Kenshiro vs Someone Else, and Someone Else laid on the pressure so thick from start to finish that Kenshiro didn't have a chance.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 06:48:08 am »
Watched up through episode 83 so far, and read through book 20 of the manga. Still need to get more. It's really the only fighting series that I can stand watching for prolonged periods, mainly because the fights don't last any longer than they have to. The longest fight I've seen so far has been 1-1/2 to 2 episodes long.

Also, no character comes back to life after being killed. Ever.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 07:04:05 am by R-9 »
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 01:02:50 pm »
Yeah, I've always wanted to check it out.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
www.heartofmadness.com

Fansubs are fun.
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 05:28:04 pm »
I guess I will have to check this out.

Honestly the best fighting anime I've seen so far is Yu Yu Hakusho.  I loved the fight sequences in that.

I will also concur that FMA is an awesome show and at some point I will have to see GTO.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 05:35:08 pm »
GTO is glory. Hakusho...Kuwabara was about the only thing in that I liked. Otherwise, it's just another DBZish thing. FMA is played the hell out. So sick of that anime.

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 10:37:45 pm »
GTO was one of the few anime comedies that is actually funny (Genshiken and Shin Chan notwithstanding). Also one of the only roles I can hear Steve Blum in without tearing out my hair.

As for FMA, I pretty much watch it off and on, and they always seem to follow the same formula:

- Ed and Al are looking for the Philosophers Stone.

- The military tries to look for the brothers, which means they stand around and look confused until the two end up in the exact same place.

- Edward cries about something.

- The teacher beats the crap out of everyone and coughs up a lung.

Anyways, the point of this post is thanks to R-9 for the fansub link.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 10:55:30 pm »
Did FMA originate/have ties with Shonen Jump? Everything they put out follows this repetitive formula.

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 11:26:28 pm »
I just looked it up. It started out in a competing magazine that Enix put out (Monthly Shonen Gangan). Apparently, the anime is done, whereas the manga is still going on.

King Zarkon

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Planet Doom Represent
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 03:37:27 am »
i dont recall any shonen jump stuff involving coughing up a lung...

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 07:21:08 am »
Another thing I'd like to note about the FoTNS, of course, are the villains. Not just for any specific qualities, but because Buronson and Tetsuo Hara had no qualms about making some of the most despicable villains ever found in manga/anime. They aren't afraid to make enemies with no redeeming qualities that the audience is unsympathetic to. Fist villians are not "misunderstood", and Kenshiro, whether he's breaking them in half or punching their skeleton out through the back of their body, is giving them what they damn well deserve.

Also, there are enough differences between the anime and manga to make the manga worth a look. I'm going to pack up the scanlations I have and see if I can put them on Rapidshare or something.

Another thing that gets me: FOTNS wasn't broadcast on TV here in the US, but it was in (at least) France and Italy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:32:57 pm by R-9 »

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 05:09:59 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find the first 40 eps of this?  The fansubbers didn't have them unless they have been licensed.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:17 pm »
You can xdcc them from the HoM IRC channel. They have a bot set up for that.