Author Topic: Hong Kong attacks!  (Read 17051 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: Hong Kong attacks!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:54 pm »
I dunno guys, how do you feel about donations?

The gif gallery was removed today to conserve bandwidth. :bigtran

Doctor_Raven

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Lone Guardian of Cybertron
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 02:03:57 pm »
DAMN YOU HONG KONG!

We got bum rushed by horn dogs. I feel dirty =__=
ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.

frost

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 06:56:58 pm »
Your not the only one having problems. It seems do to all the Traffic Japanation.com is having a hard time staying a float to. The only thing they have left is Forums do to traffic, & the expense.

Doctor_Raven

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 07:12:28 pm »
It's an image crawl and plunder conspiracy!

It might be the berserkers! berserkers! berserkers! (OH GOD THAT'S AN OLD REFERENCE)
ಠ_ಠ

Cole Tyger

• The Dark Lord of Overkill
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Master of the K-girl Fanfic
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 11:46:45 pm »
It's an image crawl and plunder conspiracy!

It might be the berserkers! berserkers! berserkers! (OH GOD THAT'S AN OLD REFERENCE)

*Hammerhand cracks the doc on the top of his weird helmut* "QUIET! You'll give away the joke!"

kirby

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 12:21:48 am »
well its been a long time since i posted and what i got to say is WHY!? are all ASIANS perverted....i mean i know america is perverted but we are america thats our excuse...whats theres and it can't be because there asian! anyway great to have it back at the expense of pictures...i say we make a backup site that HG doesn't pay for or we could donate but you always have a chance of exceeding bandwith or a site that is completly deticated to gifs and gifs only that way if HG losses anything he won't have to rebuild from scratch for the 4th? time

thats my plan and im sitcking to it!

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2005, 08:56:35 am »
You ever consider blocking out .hk and .zh domains?  Or at the very least, prevent them access to the galleries.
That might work.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2005, 03:34:07 pm »
well its been a long time since i posted and what i got to say is WHY!? are all ASIANS perverted....i mean i know america is perverted but we are america thats our excuse...whats theres and it can't be because there asian! anyway great to have it back at the expense of pictures...i say we make a backup site that HG doesn't pay for or we could donate but you always have a chance of exceeding bandwith or a site that is completly deticated to gifs and gifs only that way if HG losses anything he won't have to rebuild from scratch for the 4th? time

thats my plan and im sitcking to it!

Humans are perverted.  Everyone has sexual desires, and their quantity varies from person to person.

To the rest of what you've said, I'm just going to have to extend a hearty, "Wait, whut?"

A backup site that I don't pay for?
Donations?

About having to rebuild galleries; if the gif gallery ever gets resurrected a third time it'll be after I've installed the latest version of Coppermine.  The latest version has a feature that lets you shut down individual galleries and even lets you control what usergroups have access to which galleries.  The reason why I haven't considered implementing something like that until now is because, well, the latest version of Coppermine just came out. :D

I like the idea of a website dedicated to Viper gifs, except that there'd be a catch; a site like that would require tantamount amounts of bandwidth.  From experience and not factoring growth, I'd say a site like that would require at least 248 GB of bandwidth each month to stay afloat.  Because of the large amount of upkeep and the cost of bandwidth, I think I could only do something like that if I had a large amount of money for an initial investment and an advertising program powerful enough to pay for the expensive bandwidth costs.  Or I could just get my own server and not have to pay bandwidth fees.  I think I'll try getting my own server after learning how to manage one.  That'll probably happen in three years or less.

You ever consider blocking out .hk and .zh domains?  Or at the very least, prevent them access to the galleries.
That might work.

I'm a little sketchy on how I'd go about doing this.

Doctor_Raven

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 04:48:17 pm »
I'm a little sketchy on how I'd go about doing this.

It's sorta like how some Japanese sites can block internet users from the US.  Of course I'm not sure if its an IP trace or the use of magical practice or just a giant internet ogre whack our isp's hand when it approaches the site.
ಠ_ಠ

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 06:09:05 pm »
Modern browsers send information about the country and language the user "says" they're from, but those aren't foolproof.  Instead, big companies would purchase a database that maps IP adresses to general locations, usually down to country level, maybe to state or regional level for some countries.  They'd take an IP, determine if it was category A, B, or C, and then check the database for the location where that IP address would reside.