Author Topic: The Congress of Awesome Rewritten  (Read 22328 times)

Mirai Doft

• Hero
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • *¬*
Re: The Congress of Awesome Rewritten
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »
White wtf, put some black in here xP

Also, everything seems so... tight in the front page. Or maybe it's my resolution, 1024x768 >___>
I like big bOObs and I can not lie!

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 10:56:35 pm »
I like the new color scheme altough it is currently difficult to tell what threads have new posts.  Also the Shoutbox and other stuff only appears on the front page for me and not on any of the others.
Threads with new posts will have the NEW icon next to them.  I still gotta configure front page blocks to appear on forum.  So far the problems I'm having is that they scrunch up the forum's layout and turn the descriptions into big blocks of text.  I may end up having to stretch out the layout vertically some.

White wtf, put some black in here xP

Also, everything seems so... tight in the front page. Or maybe it's my resolution, 1024x768 >___>
It's tight.

Okay!  I'll try modifying the layout's colors so it's more like reddish and blackish, though it may take a while.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:42:56 pm by JG »

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
    • ROCK AND ROLL STRIKES BACK!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 07:33:19 pm »
I barely post anymore and yet I am still in the top posters rankings.

Does it rank by postcount or by attractiveness?  :bigtran

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »
I looked at the code and it looks like it ranks by REALNESS.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 03:46:41 pm »
Nice, that's the way it should rank.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
      ・Unicorn Overlord
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 02:46:12 pm »
 :qcf the top posters!

It aught to be the most recent posters.  Lots of those guys no longer post here and are thus no longer relevant.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:23 pm »
I suppose that is true.  IG13 hasn't posted in years and he is still one of the top ones.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:24 am »
I know I'm supposed to be working on the layout, but right now I've been spending a lot of time on my latest MMO addiction, Emil Chronicle Online.

It's really sad actually.  Every time I neglect CoA it's because I'm off playing some MMO.  Whole Bakunyuu thing would have been handled more promptly had I not been playing Ragnarok Online instead, after that large amounts of inactivity on my part were attributed to WoW, etc.

After having tried so many different mods/CMSes on the site I'm at a bit of a loss right now as to what direction to take the site in.

So, help me out guys.  After some quiet contemplation I think that Bang Doll was right about what he said earlier that people just don't "have enough time for this shit"(in reference to article creation), and I think if I'm in the minority about writing up articles and such that instead of trying to mold the CoA into some kind of magazine nonsense I should just pull my head out of my assput that shit somewhere else(that is, write my own stuff and put it somewhere) and stop mucking with the forum's innards(to the dismay of regulars).

I think instead I should focus on making this a better forum first and foremost and that we'd have a much merrier time just striking up discussion about things we're interested in on a fancy.

But if there's one thing that irks me, it's that I feel like the layout's half finished, or that we could do with a better theme.  I think I'll end up keeping TinyPortal and modifying the DS-Natural theme with CoA colors.  After that, I'm going to lay off the modding for a while and get back to posting. X_o

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
      ・Unicorn Overlord
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 01:41:33 am »
Sad, but probably true: this forum's sole purpose has always been JG00's unofficial Viper forum.

Instead of trying to branch off in a different direction you aught to just improve what we already have here.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 07:49:15 am »
That was never the intention. It's just fallen that way, due to diminishing interest in once popular boards (like Revenge of the D-Pad)

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »
Yep.

Part of the reason why I think the Viper board's been so successful is because it fills a niche.  It's pretty much the only Viper Games forum online that's actively updated.

Things like General Discussion(Lurker's Haven) and General Video Games Discussion(Revenge of the D-Pad) are things you can find on most online forums elsewhere; the only real advantage to choosing to post on one website's forum one over the other is being able to discuss these general topics within a specific community.

I really should take that as a lesson in forum design and create more subforums that either offer the internet a unique discussion topic or through context warrant discussion.

Board making is seriouz biznass. O_o

At this point I'm pondering if a subforum dedicated soley to 90s anime would be successful or not. >_>

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
      ・Unicorn Overlord
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Ambition and effort are two separate matters though.  I'd like to one day rip out out the entire Erogos collection, but that'll require a Mt. Kilimanjaro of effort.

90s anime roXXor

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
EH?!  Can't you just rip out the entire set with Aniplayer in one fell swoop?

Reanimating them into swf would probably take the most time.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41:49 pm »
... the only real advantage to choosing to post on one website's forum one over the other is being able to discuss these general topics within a specific community.

I really should take that as a lesson in forum design and create more subforums that either offer the internet a unique discussion topic or through context warrant discussion.

I think you were on the right track with the Fighting Games forum when it was on the verge of becoming primarily a Guilty Gear/Jam Kuradoberi board.  Then your fighting games playing members (nost notably ROMate) disappeared and the board regressed into a general state of unuse.  Another attempt with equally narrowed focus might be worth a shot.

Aniplayer

http://sircus0001.hp.infoseek.co.jp/soft/softe.htm

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 01:45:05 am »
Not a bad plan.  Niche boards might work out quite nicely.  What other niches can we fill that the current user base would interested in?

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 09:18:10 pm »
Here is how the internet should works.  One person tells everybody else what's important, what to think, and what content to consume.

Web 2.0 is shit, it has caused the utter morass of infantile bullshit that strangles teh intarwebs on a daily basis.  It gave everybody a voice, and all anybody has to say is inane, contrived, wonton statements produced solely for the purpose of glorifying the speaker and his/her ego.

My only problem with your idea is that it seemed to fall closer to the latter end of the spectrum I have thusly defined:  Useful intarnetz <---> web 2.0

PS.  I am currently listening to Dido's White Flag on repeat for the past half hour.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 02:07:25 am »
I see.  I was thinking of something more along the lines of iMockery or SA, but that caters to otaku culture and satirizing the games, anime, and characters therein.  The format mind you, not the tone.  Kind of like the articles we already submit here, but with a purty layout.

Quote from: Bang Doll
It gave everybody a voice, and all anybody has to say is inane, contrived, wonton statements produced solely for the purpose of glorifying the speaker and his/her ego.

Couldn't agree more.  This is part of why I agonize over quality control so much.  There simply is too much garbage on the web.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:37 am »
Thats what moderators are for.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:29 pm »
Well I really don't mind some types of content so long as they're entertaining.  Like if someone did make an article that really was a superflous blog post, but was about something interesting like their cat dying getting sick because it swallowed the berserker head of their EVA Unit 01 Revolvetech figure.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:17 pm »
Made a backup, and then condensed over half of the boards.  Considering posting has slowed down, I figured we could lump more of the same types of topics into more general categories.  Also updated Tiny Portal and did some minor fixes on CSS, namely link colors for articles showing up as orange and the background on articles showing up as black.

Also removed the custom banners block.  I'd like it if we could make new ones with 'congressofawesome.net' on them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:36:53 pm by Hyperguy »