Author Topic: Arcade Sticks  (Read 5682 times)

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
Arcade Sticks
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:06:15 am »
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting an arcade stick for my PS2.

Why?

Earlier today I was with my girlfriend, we went to the arcades. I usually just play some plane games, or.. whatever, but I felt like 3rd Striking it. I thought, "Why 3rd Strike here when I can do it at home?"

I answered, "You don't know how to use a stick. Now's your chance.

I played this dude who had an average Ken. I was watching him a bit and all he really knew: strong>fierce xx SAx. I thought I could take him on, so I popped in 3 credits (yeah, they boosted it to 3 here) and hit START.

I got raped.

I could barely shoryu, hados came out 3/5 and I looked like a total idiot whiffing like a 'tard. I laughed, smiled at the guy and apologized for being such a whimpy opponent. I walked away and wondered why I couldn't fricken super, or even fucking special.

I thought, "The stick was weird, it was like it was loose! Hmm... maybe that's why? Less precision?" and "LOL THE STICK WAS BROK'D".
After a bit I remembered I already knew how to play with a stick... it was just the ball one. The one I played with was a... "common" ARC stick if you know what I mean.

So... I could play with the ball sticks but not the normal ones. I did some research, I remember that the ball sticks are supposedly JAP and the normal ones are American.

Correct?

Is there any difference between the sticks, how you hold them? For the balls, I split my four fingers into a "V" and squeeze the ball between them. I push the stick forward with my index and middle and tighten the grip with my ring and pinky. When I played today with the normal stick, I held it like a pencil.

Haha. I tried to explain in detail but I'm tired, I just got off CS and I'm dead thirsty/hungry/tired etc.

So yeah, haha. How do you guys use a stick? And how do you fricken super? And what's with people doing 360's all the time? After rounds, before them, selecting a character...

Ah. I lost... 5 or 6 times, and won only twice. Haha. I tried to play Makoto/Ibuki, but the guy kept using his Ken so I just went back to Ken. I could've killed him a couple of times but I got too confident haha... so yeah.

Okay, I'll wait a bit for an answer and go to sleep. xD

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Arcade Sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:35:56 am »
I hold the ball by just pressing my palm onto the top of it and rolling it around that way. A "common" stick I hold in a similar fashion, but slightly at an angle. To do motions, I just make a solid, somewhat forceful motion. I make sure on dragon-punch motions to tap the forward then roll the rest of the motion. Often the stick doesn't register the forward and shoots a fireball or whatever, which is why I tap it strongly.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

elevator_kart

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:05:56 am »
OH! I remember those Arcade days :)

Actually the Arcade stick is the best to do hard moves and other things than the normal console joysticks

For me I start playing Arcade games and using these Arcade sticks nearly from 1991
And I really got experiance in those sticks  :P

Each person have his/her own style in holding the stick...for me, I've tryied many things and
the best thing that I've found now is the one shown in the image.   

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5048/okokoktw4.gif
Arcade Sticks

It's between the Middle and the Fourth finger and my hand is facing up similar to the image
(sorry for the cheap editing in the picture *But this is how I hold it*)

I've challened alot of guys in Third Strike and the best one was when I've won was against an Indian guy.
and he's afraid to challenge me again 0_o

BTW, I've got DreamCast Arcade Stick (Espically to play Street Fighter III: Third Strike)
And I got PS1 Arcade Stick (Put it in PS2 and play Tekken games)

And what's with people doing 360's all the time? After rounds, before them, selecting a character...
lol... I do the same thing and also pressing all the buttons randomly, It's a waiting style in Arcade :)

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:12:07 am »
I hold the stick in an odd way.

index finger and middle finger on top of ball, thumb on side of ball, for quick motions I use the bottom edges of my fingers.

I never use my palm.

But I actually quit playing Arcade Games aside from DDR. So..you guys have convinced me to maybe go try and play Tekken 4 or something.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:28 am »
We have two Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection machines over here. I didn't get to play T5 much so I'm afraid to go and play some.

So it seems elevator_kart holds the stick the same way I do. Maybe my hands are just too slow or something.

HGIR: Yeah, I felt like when I'd more the stick it wouldn't register, and I was a but scared I'd break the stick cause it was -really- loose, that's why I didn't tick the directions.

As for the 360 motions and whatnot, I think I get it now. I was doing the "random button mashing" thing, hahaha...

Cool cool. So I'm not that much of a scrub, huh!

I wanna go back to practice but I'm scared of wasting too much money. Haha.

So should I just buy a stick for my PS2? Where can I get one? (please note I'm a poor pacific islander who can only buy stuff online with his mom's credit card, lmfao)

I did a little research -- some say this certain type of stick it good, and others say it's crap. Normal sticks or ball sticks?

Thanks again.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:19:04 pm »
If anyone comes across a similar addon to attach neo*geo arcade controllers to a PS2 or PC, I'd be interested to hear about it.

elevator_kart

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:47:46 am »
I wanna go back to practice but I'm scared of wasting too much money. Haha.

lol... These days I don't waste too much money on Arcades... only trying to use one coin to beat the game.

But I can remember when me and my brother were playing an arcade game in nearly (1993), it was:
The Combatribes (Technos 1990)
We were like crazy.. and it cost us $21 0_o

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:36:57 am »
Hahaha... I wasted 7 dollars on House of the Dead. It was after my capoeira session with a friend, and we didn't wanna go home cause both our parents were nagging at us in the morning. So, to pass the time, we spent the rest of the day at the arcades, haha.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 04:11:27 pm »
I usually hold both the same, or in similar ways.  Sometimes, with the ball, I'll push it further into the crevice of my thumb against my hand.  I like to keep my hand in the pencil-esque fashion.  I give more control to teh tips of my index and thumb in the cylinder stick, but you can get the same control if you wrap your thumb entirely around the ball.  It fits kind of snug in most cases.  Or mayb ejust for me because i have big fat thick fingers.

Every once and a while though I'll fit the top of the ball into the space between my index and middle fingers, and jostle it around like that. (by hooking my index and middle fingers around and to the underside of the ball - with my thumb to one side, and my ring finger on the other - kind of like you, but I use tip of index and middle to pull back, and palm of hand to push forward))

Wow I'm getting way too descriptive with this.

TheS3rpent

• The Serpent!?
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • The SPACE
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 03:53:32 pm »
I use to have the same problem. But the way I hold the stick is simialar to the picture above but my pal is facing down at an angle and the stick is to the left of my middle finger. Sounds weird, but it's where I'm most comfortable.
My signature

importgamer13

• The Professor Tomoe of the forum
  • Fan-fic writer. Anime/manga fan. Import gamer.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 09:01:50 pm »
lol... These days I don't waste too much money on Arcades... only trying to use one coin to beat the game.

But I can remember when me and my brother were playing an arcade game in nearly (1993), it was:
The Combatribes (Technos 1990)
We were like crazy.. and it cost us $21 0_o

i used to play Donkey Kong,Donkey Kong Jr.,Mario Bros.,a bunch of the Pacman games,Zaxxon,Super Zaxxon,the TMNTs,Simpsons and Centipede and Millipede in the arcades.Those were fun.

tsar

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • EVERYBODY DANCE!
    • deviantART is for fags
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 04:55:27 pm »
I hold both pretty much the same, in between my second and third fingers with my thumb on top. Though, after holding an American/Happ/Baseball bat style stick like that for a while, it tends to hurt and I end up getting a sore in the area I'm holding the stick between.

JG00: There's always the NG PS2 controller that you could use, and then I think there's an adapter for converting NG to PS2, or the other way around, can't remember.

Personally I don't like the NG stick, the stick motion just doesn't feel right. It's kinda... blocky.