Poll

Well, do you?

What's a GameFAQs?
0 (0%)
I still remember the time the GFaqs board and the Gamespot board merged and since I had accounts on both they turned my more-oft used GameFAQs account from Riktar to R1ktar and then refused to help me merge them.
0 (0%)
No, I wasn't alive in the 1800's.
1 (14.3%)
Bang Doll complains too much
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Remember when GameFAQs was useful?  (Read 8457 times)

MMX

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Bang the doll slowly.
Remember when GameFAQs was useful?
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:42:39 pm »
I guess they're too busy nowadays with their spamboards, their game pages trying to be everything - Yahoo! answers, a wiki for every game (wtf seriously), media for every game, a database for every user showing off the games they own so they can brag... instead of the useful thigns like ACTUAL GODDAMN FAQs and/or reviews for games... the two useful things... nowadays half the games don't even have either anymore.

Having to go to GameFAQs boards asking for help... so annoying... what was once a trip borne out of boredom now a necessity when contributors have the same issues they've dealt with since its conception... needs to be a site that actually works to ease the responsibility on the FAQ-writer... like a wordpress esque editor toolbox for video games...

Who bothers writing FAQs for GameFAQs anymore?  Don't you know?  It's just a giant BBS where you swing your eSchlong around talking about how much video game X sUx more than video game Y.  Board invasions a common thing.  Social boards and strategy boards constantly being mixed when inappropriate.  It's not a FAQ site, it's a site devoted to "hurt and heal" topics!  YEEEY!

I don't know if you've figured it out yet, but I'm venting today.  It's fucking Labor Day, and I hate my fucking job.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
Re: Remember when GameFAQs was useful?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:47 pm »
Ahh, back when GameFAQs was independent.... now they've sold out and sold the company.
BlackShadow

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »
Just looked at a faq for Little King's Story today, and i can't say i've noticed any drastic changes in the site in the past decade.

There's also the strategywiki if you hate GameFAQs.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:33:41 am »
While the user submitted FAQs at Gamefaqs are indeed useful, I wouldn't use any other part of the site at all.  The community's a joke and the rest of the site's features are mediocre efforts compared to sites that actually specialize in those areas.

And truthfully, I didn't even notice the Gamespot merger until after you just mentioned it.  Gamespot as I recall was another game's site comprised of stupid shit nobody cares about.  The merger was genius on their part!  Now instead of having to ignore the content of two websites, I only have to ignore one!

Mirai Doft

• Hero
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • *¬*
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 04:24:41 pm »
Yeah, the boards are awfull, and those questions are for lazy people who don't know how to use ctrl+f, but the faqs are still nice...
I like big bOObs and I can not lie!

BubblegumCake

• Cynical Pink
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Frosting~!
    • My ACP Page
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:40:59 pm »
HOW DOES I CONTROL+F?!?
Always....
Alyson
<3 <3 <3

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »
YOU NEEDS TO DO ALT+F4 FIRST.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 07:24:13 pm »
no.. it's [CTRL] + [W]
BlackShadow

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »
Naw you need to open up a command prompt and type fdisk and hit 3 and yes to any further options.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
While the user submitted FAQs at Gamefaqs are indeed useful, I wouldn't use any other part of the site at all.  The community's a joke and the rest of the site's features are mediocre efforts compared to sites that actually specialize in those areas.

And truthfully, I didn't even notice the Gamespot merger until after you just mentioned it.  Gamespot as I recall was another game's site comprised of stupid shit nobody cares about.  The merger was genius on their part!  Now instead of having to ignore the content of two websites, I only have to ignore one!

Yes a site designer such as yourself would be keen on such design flaws.

As much as I hate them both sites just like them always tend to pop up on the top of the google rankings... IGN, Gamespot, Gamefaqs, Cheatcentral, *planet, etc. etc. I could go on all day.

GameFAQs used to be one of the few I actually used to use.  I lament the observed-though-not-necessarily-objectively migration of useful contributors ("Spikes" as I believe some may call them... if you've ever frequented a Bethesda forum... at least before they turned to the dark side and released Oblivion) away from the one useful aspect of GameFAQs, the GameFAQs, and towards... well I have no idea where or what to, I really wish I knew so I could follow them.