Author Topic: Prince of Persia  (Read 8968 times)

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
Prince of Persia
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:37 pm »
I just finished Sands of Time and I've gotta say this game is awesome.  The dialogue is definitely the best part of the entire game.  I love the exchanges between Farah and the Prince.  Also the time reversal mechanic for not falling to your doom in the platforming portions is very nice.  Not to mention that even Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation Fame) liked it which says something in itself.  What do you guys think?

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
Re: Prince of Persia
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »
I need to make time to play this game.  I played the first Splinter Cell this year and absolutely loved it. 

dontpanic

• RSR Fan
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:08:50 am »
That one is definitely worth playing, as is the brand new one.  Avoid Prince of Persia: Angst of Angstiness and Prince of Persia: I wear lots of mascara, they're nothing like the first one from last gen's trilogy.

The new one is really interesting.  It's very much about the art and the flow; you can't die, for example.  I'm probably about halfway through and it's definitely been worth my time so far.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:51 pm »
you can't die

This is good.  You died enough the first time around.  I remember in the early 90s when the very first PoP came out and you died, on average, every 15 to 20 seconds.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:34:45 am »

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:48 pm »
Which is why I liked the Sand mechanic because it gave you a limited number of retries before you bit it.  I know I was freaking out alot in the middle of certain platforming stages and battles when I was low on Sand or didn't have the dagger.

dontpanic

• RSR Fan
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:36 am »
ITT Games for Pussies.

Back when I was concerned about my ePeen I might've agreed, but in some games I see death as just an unnecessary barrier to fun.  In this game, death would feel out of place.  In a brutal game like Ninja Gaiden it makes more sense.  The new PoP isn't Ninja Gaiden or anything like it.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:36 pm »
I concur with that.  Sometimes all death does in the game is break the flow of what you are doing.  Other times death is meant to be a penalty for screwing up or a threat that instills fear in you (which is the case for Sands of Time as I still get freaked out when I mess up on a section and fall to my doom).

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
This is good.  You died enough the first time around.  I remember in the early 90s when the very first PoP came out and you died, on average, every 15 to 20 seconds.

What are you babbling about.  That was the point of the series.  Are you saying PoP wasn't a fantasy-themed dungeon suicide simulator?  Then why was it so fun to jump onto a shaky floor tile and plummet ten stories, through another shaky floor tile, down another five tiles, all the while being hit by trap darts mid-air and finally falling onto a pit of spikes with a skeleton sitting impaled directly next to your corpse until finally your sword catches up to you and tears through the top of your own skull?

Huh?  I ask you that!

Now for Bang Doll's review:  It fucking sucks.  Sands of Time fucking sucks.  It all fucking sucks.  It is a slight against the original series.  It makes me angry.  I hate you all.  Die.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:40:59 pm »
What are you babbling about.  That was the point of the series.  Are you saying PoP wasn't a fantasy-themed dungeon suicide simulator?

Because I'd played that game enough already.  It was called Dragon's Lair.  You mighta heard of it.

Protodude

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:48 am »
I'm getting this game for Christmas actually. From what I've read it sounds like a more linear experience then Ubisoft led on with their whole "lol you can totally change the direction of the game depending on what you do!" or whatever. If nothing else the art style at least looks fucking gorgeous on the eyes.

And Patrick fucking Stewart's voice was in the commercial. Come on, that has to mean something.

dontpanic

• RSR Fan
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:33 am »
You can connect the dots in whatever order you want, but it's still the same picture at the end.  It's still a helluva time though!

connect the dots, la la la la...

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »
Because I'd played that game enough already.  It was called Dragon's Lair.  You mighta heard of it.

shit, i fail =(

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 08:34:30 pm »
Fucking Digital Leisure took down the Youtube step-by-step video guide to DL.  Shitfuckers them.

... and now I'd link you to the robot chicken parody but fucking youtube just swallowed my soul.  brb

BubblegumCake

• Cynical Pink
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Frosting~!
    • My ACP Page
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »
The sequel should be called 'Princess of Persia'. lol. amirite?
Always....
Alyson
<3 <3 <3

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:56:34 am »
Meanwhile, we're still waiting on Nintendo to realize Super Princess Peach 2 would be a good idea...

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:00 am »
I never played Super Princess Peach.  I never played a lot of games I knew about and knew were awesome.

In the past I had an excuse, I was new to the gaming world, I nver heard of a Commodore 64 or a PC-98
or I couldn't read japanese or didn't know how/didn't have a credit card to import games
or i always had a macintosh and thus couldn't play pc games

byut nowadays i don't have an excuse... i just don't buy games, and complain when i'm bored and how good games are never made anymore.
It's kind of like there's this mountain of good games throughout history that I feel the need to play but I have a compulsion to play them "in order", as in the order of publication but feel that that is such a momentous task I give up on day zero and just replay the same old games I do happen to have like fuck I dunno I don't even play those anymore...

... honestly what the fuck who gets depressed over playing video games wtfux.