Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV  (Read 17111 times)

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
Soul Calibur IV
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:41 am »
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3168337

I've been waiting eagerly for this game to come out - 4 more days!  I loved playing II and III, and I'm anxious to see how much better this sequel is.  I've posted a link to 1up.com's coverage of the game; they recently added a review and a video of each character's Critical Finish (lol at Cassandra's).  I was disappointed that the added-in manga characters were just reskins of some of the main fighters, though...  >_<

Anyway, the game looks amazing, and I can't wait to kick some ass.  Anyone other SC fans around here?

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Soul Calibur IV
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
Will your game come with Yoda or Vader?

I'm not much for the Soul Calibur series. Character designs are fantastic, but 3D fighting games confound me. All the same, we'll probably pick up a copy just to have something else to do with our PS3.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

prominence

• God-Emperor
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:25:37 pm »
Thanks to Xierfrogs, i got sc3 on my birthday, and I've always had fun playing 2 with him and our crazy friends.  I imagine 4 will be very good, but right now, i'm concentrating on 3 and the other games they got me(castlevania and kingdom hearts).
The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.  -Dune-

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:14:24 am »
I absolutely love the SC series, but I SUCK.

I can never remember to guard impact unless i spend the whole match trying to do that, and then I die because I mess up the timing. I always dodge the wrong way and get hit in the face, and I can never choose a character to stick with-I always end up using at least 4, and none of them that well.
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:50 pm »
Yeah, I tend not to guard much in fighting games but rather use the faster characters and unleash a flurry of blows in order not to allow my opponent to counter attack.

SC4 looks impressive, I can't wait to get a crack at it.

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 01:37:26 pm »
Can't say I'm great but I know how to defend myself =P I mostly play with Seong Mina (not sure how its spelled) since the first SC~

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:02:21 pm »
Her name's been spelled like...five or six different ways since the series started. XD Don't sweat the spelling.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 03:12:17 pm »
I'd have to say my best characters, at least from SC3, were Zasalamel and Kilik.  I always did better with the ranged guys.  I'm also pretty decent with Talim, and sometimes I use Voldo just to freak out people.  =P  Curious to see how they've changed in this game...

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:43:33 pm »
Yeah, I tend to do well with Sophitia, Cassandra, Rapheal and Seung Mina.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:00 am »
YAAAAAY, today's the day!  I just hope Wal-Mart has it...  I didn't see any copies of it in the backroom lately...  Man, I remember going apeshit when we had that Super Smash Bros. Brawl display case FULL of copies, and I couldn't get one for several days since it was date-sensitive, lol...  >_<

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:26 am »
I'd have to say my best characters, at least from SC3, were Zasalamel and Kilik.  I always did better with the ranged guys.  I'm also pretty decent with Talim, and sometimes I use Voldo just to freak out people.  =P  Curious to see how they've changed in this game...

Kilik is a douche.

Zasalamel is hardcore.

And Talim is still scary as Sh*t.
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:30:32 pm »
Will there be again some secret characthers from others game? (Tekken?lol)

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:16:36 am »
Will there be again some secret characthers from others game? (Tekken?lol)

Well, besides the Star Wars characters (Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller), there are a few manga characters thrown in (Angol Fear, Scherazade, Shura, Ashlotte, and Kamakirimusi).  Unfortunately, they have the same movesets as some of the original characters.  Hilde and Algol are also new.  Look around in the site I posted, they should be in there.

The Create-A-Soul mode is INSANE compared to SC3.  I probably spent a good hour making a character with near-starting equipment!  Not only is there TONS more customization, each part you use can affect your character's performance in some way.  Afaik though, the old weapons/disciplines that you could choose from SC3 (wave swords, lance, sword and shield, etc.) are no longer present; you have to choose an original character's moveset.

I'm pissed at how Zasalamel is in this game...  all the old moves I used most often have either been changed, nerfed, or taken out completely...  >_<  However, he DOES have a lot of new moves.  I'm gonna have to re-learn him again...

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:56 pm »

The Create-A-Soul mode is INSANE compared to SC3.  I probably spent a good hour making a character with near-starting equipment!  Not only is there TONS more customization, each part you use can affect your character's performance in some way.  Afaik though, the old weapons/disciplines that you could choose from SC3 (wave swords, lance, sword and shield, etc.) are no longer present; you have to choose an original character's moveset.

Sound pretty interesting.I like customization even if it takes me hours~

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »
Is this game worth getting?  I'm not sure if I should since it has Vader and Yoda... yeah I know everybody's all like "wow vader & yoda sweet" but I'm like....

Jesus, I dunno... I mean fucking lightsaber versus sword? How the fuck does sword win?

IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT, YO.  Force has no equal.  Vader in a game should just be like:

Opponent: Let's fight!

Vader: *force choke*

Opponent: Hurk! *die*

prominence

• God-Emperor
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 06:18:57 pm »
I feel the same way.  People keep asking me whether i'm going to play as yoda or vader and my answer is neither.  I'm sure they'll be fine characters, but i'll stick with the classics thank you.  I dislike people exclaiming over all the new amazing features as if they would make the game so much better.  In my opinion, most of the time it's the tried and true stuff that makes the game good.
The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.  -Dune-

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 12:45:14 am »
Is this game worth getting?

I'd say so.  Even though the Star Wars characters are out of place, and some of the older modes are no longer present, I think that the custom character creation and online modes make up for it.

I'll admit I haven't been playing much lately, but that's only due to Max Attack G going on in PSU right now - trying to keep my kill count up so I stay on the leaderboards.  I'll get you yet, Spread Needle/G!

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 02:24:06 pm »
Is this game worth getting?  I'm not sure if I should since it has Vader and Yoda... yeah I know everybody's all like "wow vader & yoda sweet" but I'm like....

Jesus, I dunno... I mean fucking lightsaber versus sword? How the fuck does sword win?

IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT, YO.  Force has no equal.  Vader in a game should just be like:

Vader: *force choke*

Alternately it could go:

Vader: *Parries attack cutting opponent's sword in half. Then stabs them.*

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:05 am »
Alternately it could go:

Vader: *Parries attack cutting opponent's sword in half. Then stabs them.*

GUARD CRUSH THAT SHIT

MONGOLIAN WARRIOR SQUAD REPRESENT

BubblegumCake

• Cynical Pink
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Frosting~!
    • My ACP Page
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 01:03:08 am »
Oh man, I've been playing so much Soul Calibur that my thumb is pretty much raw. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm damn good. I can own pretty much anyone. Especially with Talim. I, of course, created myself in the game. ^^ I use Amy's fighting style. Tonight I just made Harley Quinn, and she's using Asataroth (or however you spell it)'s fighting style, .. Mostly because I equipped her with his joke weapon, a gigantic squeeky hammer. And she's has Tira's annoying voice, but lower. She kicks so much ass.
Always....
Alyson
<3 <3 <3