Author Topic: Japanese games and the things that are hilarious  (Read 5908 times)

KernelSanders

• Casual VIPER Fan
Japanese games and the things that are hilarious
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:59 am »
Have you ever really noticed in fighting games how the characters always announce their attacks? Its especially true in most Japanese series. Whats up with that? If I was in a fight, and had some "special move" - I certainly wouldn't telegraph it for my opponent to know what I'm doing.
Some of the funniest shit from the 90's was when people misheard Japanese words -
E.g. Tatsu-maki-senpuu-kyaku (hurricane kick) which basically sounds like "Tattoo mack, sin poo kat".
Even funnier, is badly translated English, or English spoken very poorly with a heavy accent. (example: Sonic Boom = Soniku Boo (SFII), Break = Brick (KOF), Game Over = Game Ahver (DOA)

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
Re: Japanese games and the things that are hilarious
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:50:18 pm »
While true, it could be that they have to yell out the attack name to activate it.  That and they may know that the enemy can't do anything about it even if they know and therefore do it to look cool.

Trapani21

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:08 am »
Except M. Bison. Bastard never said a word, just burned your ass with every move, and then laughed over your broken body.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:04 am »
While true, it could be that they have to yell out the attack name to activate it.  That and they may know that the enemy can't do anything about it even if they know and therefore do it to look cool.
Just like in real life.
I yell out "PUNCH!" before I throw a punch, same as "KICK!". I could never do a "Backflip-Kick", thou... it always comes out "BackFlip-OOUFH!! OW! I THINK I BROKE ME BACK!! ow! ow!"
BlackShadow

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:18:31 pm »
lol I prefer when they YELL the technique's name.Just like in Super Robot War serie.Its just amazing.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
Have you ever really noticed in fighting games how the characters always announce their attacks? Its especially true in most Japanese series. Whats up with that? If I was in a fight, and had some "special move" - I certainly wouldn't telegraph it for my opponent to know what I'm doing.

You know, we even see that in VIPER-V16, too.  (Punch-punch-punch!! Kick-kick-kick!!)

Although, one could argue though that a truly superior warrior could still defeat thier opponent even if the opponent knew exactly what was coming in advance.

Even funnier, is badly translated English, or English spoken very poorly with a heavy accent. (example: Sonic Boom = Soniku Boo (SFII), Break = Brick (KOF), Game Over = Game Ahver (DOA)

That's the proper pronunciation of adopted English language words in Japanese.
ソニック ブーム = sonniku bu-mu = Sonic Boom
ブレーク = bure-ku = Break
ゲーム オーバー = ge-mu o-ba- = Game Over (although alot of Japanese would know to pronounce this is o-va- instead)