Author Topic: New High Prices for Viper Artwork  (Read 5949 times)

uphillbattle

• Sucker of Collectibles
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper GT/B/S/1 & RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth & Street Fighter 6
Re: New High Prices for Viper Artwork
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2024, 10:07:21 am »
New set put up. Just under 2 days left remaining for these.

they're pretty low overall, but I'm expecting some of them, especially the Viper Sampler Vol. 1 cover art and an H scene frame from F-40 (for some reason) to skyrocket during the last half hour. But I'm going to see If I can snipe one or two. If anyone from here also plans to try and claim some let me know so we can avoid a bidding war with eachother lol.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024, 07:58:35 pm »
shame i couldn't bid on this round, i put in like 5000 yen on the miki drawing, but i was traveling during the ending times
BlackShadow

uphillbattle

• Sucker of Collectibles
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper GT/B/S/1 & RSR
    • Now Playing:
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 03:15:05 am »
Seller made just about $3900.  :o

They were all relatively low, with one frame selling for just over $100. The auctions were extended by almost 2 hours because of sniping wars for a few frames. The Viper Sampler Vol. 1 promo art shot close to $1000 in a span of like 2 minutes. I was auto outbid immediately as well for the CTR and RSR frames after I put in a max bid of $150.

Time to wait and see what line work he has for next month  :rolleyes

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2024, 01:05:22 pm »
I put about $200 toward the CTR and M1 art but lost them.

On the other hand, no one else seemed to notice a couple of other real gems pass though during the same hour: a pair of posters (or double-sided?) for original Guyna-rock and Reserve. I got them at base price, 1000 yen each (or about $9 for the pair) because no one else noticed how utterly rare these must be after about 33 years. (I'd never seen a set of either in the nearly 20 years I've been buying up Sogna/VIPER goodies.)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:19:48 pm by JG »

uphillbattle

• Sucker of Collectibles
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper GT/B/S/1 & RSR
    • Now Playing:
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2024, 02:47:40 am »
Those posters are great JG, I'm jealous. I honestly would probably value those even more; literally because of the fact they are very rare but official Sogna merch. :o

And honestly, as much as I'd love to win and own one of these "original" pieces at auction that are constantly going up once a month, it just makes me ponder the authenticity of them even more. We know it comes from the same seller who we can confidently assume is a freelance work-for-hire artist, possibly the real deal and has been doing it for decades, at least to the point he knows how valuable Sogna stuff are.  :P

I get it, there can be hundreds of slides per game, and he probably has done work for all of them, but so many promotional and cover art production pieces are being put up every month as well; there can't be many of those compared to animation slides. For all we know, this guy could be replicating the pieces and passing them off as original production pieces when he puts them up for auction. If he doesn't have any leftover stock of animation sheets, one can still buy cel sheets (more expensive now, but still available) and the animation paper that goes with them too, including the ACME style hole punched ones. So it can be a little sketch (pun intended) when bidding on these. But a lot of the pieces he puts up do have wear and tear marks over the years and really do look like the real deal, I probably just have sore loser auction syndrome  ;D  Oh well, I can't help it and will probably keep putting in bid attempts anyway ;D :rolleyes
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 03:21:13 am by uphillbattle »

uphillbattle

• Sucker of Collectibles
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper GT/B/S/1 & RSR
    • Now Playing:
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2024, 03:15:28 am »
Talk about timing, but I checked right after my last post, and true enough, a new batch is on auction with about 4 days left! This is a pretty good batch if you ask me! One of them is an actual painted animation cel for Viper BTR!

uphillbattle

• Sucker of Collectibles
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper GT/B/S/1 & RSR
    • Now Playing:
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2024, 03:18:34 am »
I think i'm going to try and focus on getting this piece.  ;)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2024, 11:32:35 pm »
So I did win an art auction lately, but not one from that seller whose bids tend to reach 40,000 yen or more.

I got this one for a more "bargain" price of 27,280 yen ($183.87) - which I think is fair given that it's unique art and not one frame of a sequence. Plus its one of the few The Devil Came arts I really like because of the facial expressions.

This was the only Sogna piece they offered at the time (along with a dozen or so other animation draqings, most of which were animes I didn't recognize) and they haven't posted more so I think it was a one-time seller.