Author Topic: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)  (Read 207716 times)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
Re: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)
« Reply #380 on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:51 am »
The Gamecube version was supposedly the superior version of TP.

The differences aren't monumental from everything i've seen in BotW comparison screenshots.

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2017, 04:28:46 pm »
I'm still keeping my Zelda Wii U pre-order juuuust in case it ends up becoming a collector's item sometime down the line.

It'll be right at home next to my unopened copy of Rodea the Sky Soldier! :D

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
The Gamecube version was supposedly the superior version of TP.
I don't know about superior, but the authoritative version. Nintendo chose the GC version's alignment vs the reversed alignment of the Wii version for the HD remake.  Personally I preferred the reversed Wii version because Twilight Princess is already too much like Ocarina of Time, and having forest/starting area on the right side of the world map and desert on the left draws yet one more parallel.

The differences aren't monumental from everything i've seen in BotW comparison screenshots.
From what I read both will run 900p/1080p (black bars top and bottom like most other 3D Zeldas), but Switch will have fluid 60fps while Wii U will struggle to keep up at 60fps when there are a lot of enemies or rain/snow. One of the review sites said fighting a crowd in the rain on the Wii U slowed to a choppy 12-15fps.  We'll probably know more this time next week.

That Wii U version might indeed be collector's item some day.  My Best Buy put out dozens upon dozens (maybe 70-80) preorder cards for Switch version, in two different locations in the gaming section, but I didn't see any for Wii U version. (Also maybe 20-30 for 1-2-Switch.)  With that many preorder cards available, the Switch version should be ridiculously common and easy to find.  By comparison, games for which I've seen other preorder cards, like Halo 4 or Halo 5, have also only had 20-30 cards on shelf.  So Best Buy is apparently expecting a LOT of Switch Zeldas to be on hand at launch.

Also, I bet Switch to be uber popular, and ultimately squash Scorpio and PS4 Pro. Not because I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but history is on my side. Just thought of this today. All it really takes for a Nintendo home console to be a success is a Zelda at launch, or pretty close thereafter. In fact, the earlier a non-remake Zelda game comes along, the better, while dragging it out a few years spells disaster.  Discounting the NES (which won its generation despite no Zelda until mid-life)...

SNES: Link to the Past not a launch title, but only a few months out. SNES now generally accepted to have won the generation war over Genesis. (It's top games have certainly aged better with time.)

Virtual Boy: No Zelda game. Total flop.

N64: Ocarina of Time was about 2 years after launch. Lost generation war to PlayStation.

GameCube: Wind Waker was about a year and a half after launch. Lost generation war to Playstation 2 and Xbox.

Wii: Twilight Princess at launch. Won generation war over PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (at least by sales)

Wii U: No 'new' Zelda game until very end-of-life. Badly, badly lost generation war to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. (And yet, still not as badly as the Vita has fared against the 3DS/2DS series.)

Switch: Breath of the Wild at launch. Good omens.

HellotoYouSir

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2017, 10:52:38 pm »
Even if Virtual Boy have Zelda, as console it inherently suck.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »
Now eagerly awaiting Moge's review of the Switch.

Meanwhile, a gold rupee sticker :goldrupee for him for the nowinstock.net tip. No luck on the console yet but I come close twice.  In stock when I get to the webpage but they fly away before I can check out. :chicken

A smaller victory obtained though.  (I just hope it doesn't get cancelled or retracted over the weekend.)

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2017, 07:36:32 pm »
Switch came in from Best Buy, but my Zelda and Hori screen protector were delayed. Honestly, I'm more annoyed by the latter, since I prefer to apply those things ASAP.

But, yeah, at this rate, I am doomed to playing Waku Waku 7 tonight and obsessively cleaning my expensive toy's screen before applying a transparent sticker to it tomorrow. Life is so hard!

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:13 am »
Went to Best Buy to pick up my Switch and saw a person asked if Breath of the Wild was in stock. Rep told him they only had the Wii U version in stock and then he walked out. Crazy that there are Switch owners who couldn't get Zelda due to scarcity and cancellations.   

I have almost nothing but positive things to say about the Switch :o

It's an incredibly sleek system on par with the best from Sony and Apple. You don't know how much i absolutely loathed the glossy plastic Nintendo has been using for a decade; makes their products look like Fisherprice kids toys. All the buttons feel great, however i'm no fan of the Z shoulder buttons; they're nowhere near as easy to press as the Gamepad or Wii U Pro Controller's. The + and - buttons also don't feel great. They're small and the plastic they used for the buttons are uncomfortable.

I highly recommend anyone who buys the system to absolutely NOT attach the wrist straps to the Joy-Cons. For some reason they're incredibly hard to remove off the rails, unlike the rails on the Dock or the Grip.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2017, 07:06:01 am »
(I just hope it doesn't get cancelled or retracted over the weekend.)

Apparently I've lucked out and managed to get one of these rare beauties.  Got a tracking number now. ;D

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »
#winner  #itsreal  #hoorayforme  #nowjustneedtheconsole  #holyshitthatsabigbox

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #389 on: March 09, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »
That's a really sweet case for the Switch. I decided to settle with just using a Club Nintendo Pouch.

I see you finally caved into the hype, JGOO :bigtran

BotW is soooooooo good. Not since Wind Waker have i been floored by the graphics of a Zelda title.

Here's mah Switch

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2017, 07:19:06 am »
What's really 'wild' (pardon the pun), is that my game case insert doesn't have the rating on the front or any details on the back. Its a photo of a guardian firing its laser.

Earlier games, whether special editions or just a packaged in a larger box with bonuses, have always included the standard game case inserts. Ones I can think of off the top of my head include Twilight Princess HD , Star Fox Zero, Super Mario Maker, and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I wonder if this would make it harder for resellers like GameStop to handle selling this version without the rating info. (Not that I'll try to find out.)  Of course, they could try to sell it in the original special edition box, but they'd need to open another store first because holy shit that's a big box.

Asukachan

• VIPER Animator
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-CTR, VIPER-F40
    • Now Playing:
      ・Popful Mail (Sega CD)
    • VIPER ANIMATION Blog
« Reply #391 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:41 pm »
Breath of the Wild just might be the best game I've ever played. Been hooked on it since the Switch launch day. :goldrupee :chicken

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2017, 07:05:56 am »
I think i might catch Splatoon Withdrawal symptoms if i sell my system

Finally decided to put up my Wii U for sale on Amazon and the two physical games in my library.

No doubt Switchmas was exciting for you, Moge. But how about the upcoming Splatoon 2 Global Testfire this weekend? Finally excited to get a chance to ink stuff again?

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #393 on: March 23, 2017, 05:42:39 am »
I can't believe how good Breath of the Wild is. Last time i was truly blown away by a game in this series was Ocarina in 98 :o

I'm absolutely dying to play some Splatoon again. Sure as hell will play every testfire this weekend :carreraface

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2017, 07:26:59 am »
Now that you've had a day or two to recover from weekend festivities, how was the testfire?  I saw one review popup on my Google+ feed on my phone that someone said they preferred the control scheme of the Wii U to the Switch.  The button placement on Switch does seem to be a little counterproductive to games requiring fast reaction times, but obviously haven't been able to try it myself.  Local Best Buy doesn't even have a Switch for display/trial - just a big video screen.  It's nearing end of March when I wanted to get one and hardly any have come up for sale since launch.  And distribution of the new Zelda amiibos seems quite weak too - only seen the Bokoblin at my store.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:59 pm »
It's more Splatoon. I wouldn't call it 1.5, but so far it looks like a Mega Man X to X2 sort of sequel. Net play was buttery smooth and amazingly i didn't see any laggy on-screen characters. The Switch's upgrade to 5 Ghz wifi is much appreciated from someone who occasionally had problems with the Wii U's 2.4 Ghz wifi

Even though i haven't played Splatoon in nearly a year i was winning most of my matches. Demo could of used more weapons for us vets, but otherwise it was a very fun demo/beta/whatever.

Here's the thing about the Switch: the Pro Controller is absolutely a must buy for anyone who plays the system at home. The Joycons are decent in their own right (especially when attached to the system), but the position of the left analog stick being slightly higher and the strange shoulder button shape makes them feel a bit unnatural.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2017, 11:28:28 pm »
The Switch's upgrade to 5 Ghz wifi is much appreciated from someone who occasionally had problems with the Wii U's 2.4 Ghz wifi

That is encouraging. Since the Wii U doesn't automatically channel shift and I don't believe you can configure channel yourself, it results in exceptionally poor download speed. A game update on Xbox 360, One, or PS4 is anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.  When I put a new game into the Wii U I expect a good 45 minutes to hour before its downloaded the update to let me play it for the first time. (I do rather wish companies would let you download the updates before putting game in unit for the first time to speed up the turnaround time.)

Here's the thing about the Switch: the Pro Controller is absolutely a must buy for anyone who plays the system at home. The Joycons are decent in their own right (especially when attached to the system), but the position of the left analog stick being slightly higher and the strange shoulder button shape makes them feel a bit unnatural.

I'm expecting to have to buy one.  I'll give the regular setup a go but looking at it worries me.  I was hoping my local Best Buy would have one for demo to give the regular setup a try.

Nintendo usually does quite well with controller comfort on the consoles too, at least once they offered the rubber grips for the Wiimote. (Handhelds leave a little to be desired yet but being smaller its harder to do right.)  Microsoft currently the king even though the triggers on the One aren't as good as the 360.  PlayStation still lagging far behind for having really poor trigger placement and those ridiculous rounded grips. (Dear Sony, my palm is not shaped like a 2inch wide inverse hemisphere. No one's is. 20+ years and still blowing it.)

Why we can't get really great, proper ergonomic controllers like the N64, model 2 Genesis 6-button, or Xbox 360 anymore astonishes me. Nintendo dumbs down 3DS to 2D to protect kids' eyes, but still willing to ruin their hands with rectangle controllers on the NES Classic instead of the better dogbone style (not to mention a stupid 3 foot long cord)

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 31, 2017, 11:38:33 am »
I haven't had any problems with the normal controller myself. Placement hasn't bothered me.

Not having a map screen you can just glance down at takes getting used to if you played a lot of Splatoon 1. Getting a quick, general idea of your team's ink progress and placement that way was ultra convenient. Pulling up a map quickly and dismissing it with a button is probably fine and a matter of getting used to, but I'll miss it. It was also disorienting that the map button is what the jump button used to be in the first game, buuut that's another thing that just takes getting used to...

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »
Got my Switch today and agree that the placement is tolerable on the regular controllers.  I would need to hold a pro controller in my hands to know if I like it better (and undoubtedly it will be sold in a box to prevent exactly that.)

My biggest problem is exactly the issue I have with a lot of games since the introduction of double shoulder buttons became a thing: hitting the wrong one. Maybe not a problem in shooters if I mistakenly reload when I don't need to or fire off a round by accident. But I must have thrown my sword or axe twenty times today when I meant to ready my bow. That got annoying.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #399 on: June 22, 2017, 05:01:10 am »
Hands down the biggest surprise for myself was Dragon Ball FighterZ :o

Been too long since i was super pumped for a fighting game. Well okay, i was pumped for Street Fighter V, but it turned out to be a burning heap of garbage (much like the state of Capcom these days).

The direction 3D Mario has taken is also very surprising, and it all looks amazing. They somehow brought back the GOAT Mario girl (hint: it's not Peach).

5. Beyond Good & Evil 2
4. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
3. Yoshi Switch
2. Super Mario Odyssey
1. Dragon Ball FighterZ