Poll

Who is your favorite?

Asuka (Northern Lights series, V10/CTR)
6 (42.9%)
Julietta (RSR)
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 07, 2009, 09:30:19 pm

Author Topic: Asuka (2) vs Julietta (3): VGOTY2009: Green Division Semifinal  (Read 6666 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
vs.

Princess Julietta disposed of Asuka's childhood idol, Shiori, in the previous round.  Can she make it two in a row over Northern Lights girls or will Asuka's charm carry her to victory and vengeance for her fallen hero?

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
Re: Asuka (2) vs Julietta (3): VGOTY2009: Green Division Semifinal
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:22:09 am »
Julietta beat Shiori? I suppose that's the advantage of getting porked in full view of everyone, rather than in an obscure wee novel.

When did Shiori come into being anyway? Was she mentioned for the first time in that novel, or was she referred to before then?

Saika

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Viper CTR, Viper RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online and EDOPro
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:03:03 pm »
I hat Asuka and Like Julietta.

so it very easy.XD
Miki,#1 girl in VIPER CTR

Archman

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »
Julietta is good, but she just doesn't do enough.  Jota has a better case to move on than her.  Asuka is probably a bit overrated, but definitely good enough to move on.  Vote for Asuka. 

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:32:52 pm »
When did Shiori come into being anyway? Was she mentioned for the first time in that novel, or was she referred to before then?

Shiori only showed up in the novel.  She's 8 or 10 years older than Asuka, I can't remember which, and at the time, Asuka is about 8, putting Shiori at around 16 or 18.  Asuka think's she's perfect and wants to be just like Shiori when she grows up.  Shiori is walking Asuka home or something one night and they're beset by a gang - they rape Shiori and force Asuka to watch.  Afterwards, Shiori leaves the dojo, never to return.

This is meant to setup Asuka as untrusting toward men and determined to be strong enough to never allow a man to do to her what was done to Shiori.  This is the Asuka we see in V10.  It's also meant to make her wary of gangs, a sentiment apparently shared with Miki in the novel, and also precludes Miki's own rape by Osamu's gang late in the CTR half of the story.

CTR was getting quite large, and at the time diskettes were still more popular than the brand new CD-ROM technology, so it seems Sogna drew the line at 40 diskettes (forty!), and had to drop the Asuka/Shiori/-fear-of-gang-rape backstory to make it work.

Shiori is most recognized know from her apperance in one of the promotional fan art pieces (see the image I just posted on Carrerachan).  Uneducated folks look at this image and say, "Who the hell is that?"  Well now you know.

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:57:50 am »
Well, thanks. I was curious about that.

Pity Shiori got cut. She would've been a nice addition to the game, and I'd sort of like it if they gave her story some sort of epilogue. I know she's barely even a minor character, but I would've liked if they'd given her story some sort of happy conclusion too.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:12:18 am »
That's what fan works are for.

Rai

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-M1
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:45:49 am »
I can't believe Julietta walked all over V10 so easily. She just has one scene while Asuka's starred in two games and cameoed in so many more. Does the stand-alone popularity of RSR outweigh the entire rest of the series or what?

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:00 am »
I can't believe Julietta walked all over V10 so easily. She just has one scene while Asuka's starred in two games and cameoed in so many more. Does the stand-alone popularity of RSR outweigh the entire rest of the series or what?

Seriously...

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »
RSR is very popular.  I'd say only Rise is more so.  One could argue The Devil Came is just as popular but if you look at the VIPER doujinshi and fan works coming out of Japan in the last few years its all Rise and RSR.  Akira and Cala dominate while Carrera is mostly resigned to cameo roles now.

This could spell bad news for all you Miki fans who think she's just going to coast to the championship.

And don't say Julietta advanced this far solely on behalf of her chest size. In Round 3, Mika, Carrera, and Miki (yes, Miki) all advanced past girls who are typically drawn with larger chest sizes than theirs.  And of the #1 seeds, only Akira has a larger chest than her competition in Round 4.

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:56 pm »
I think the small number of people voting might be a bit of a factor too.

To be honest, I didn't much care for either character anyway, so I can't really see one being significantly better than the other.