Author Topic: DBZ Confession  (Read 20297 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: DBZ Confession
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 10:45:18 pm »
Well, if they have go-karts, then why call it the home of infinite losers?
That's something you'll have to ask the boy's mother.  Piccolo just wants to gobble him up. D:

LordRyunson

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 10:55:46 pm »
That's something you'll have to ask the boy's mother.  Piccolo just wants to gobble him up. D:

I don't remember that in DBZ. However, I do remember that Goku and Chichi were fighting (read, arguing) about certain things. Then, Piccolo mused, saying that, "This is a fight even Goku can't win." It was also featured in DBZ Bukokai 3 too! It fits perfectly!

Also, from my knowledge, Namekians don't eat. They only drink water.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:27 pm »

LordRyunson

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 01:20:33 am »
WHAT, NINE THOUSAND?!

Seriously, the author of the Nine Thousand Video has made a few others that aren't quite as overused as this one, but at least they were great nonetheless. The search engine in Youtube is temporarly disabled, and I still haven't figured out how to post vids yet. 

blah_blah

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 11:18:41 am »
It's over nine thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD I like that line :P

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 12:05:12 pm »
Nyoro~n

LordRyunson

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 03:35:57 pm »
Here's some more DBZ Humor! Listen carefully and you'll probably laugh if you taken your grammar courses. 

[youtube=425,350]LbSjKjjObLg[/youtube]

If the nine thousand joke got old, here's the next big thing. Plus, Chibi Nappa forgot his next line after Vegeta said the internet phenominon! All it was is a Nyoro-n.

Aphelion

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 12:13:45 pm »
Are they still on Namek?

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 07:37:17 pm »
Are what still on Namek?

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 01:31:09 am »
Frieza Saga is the longest part of DBZ. "Are they still on Namek?" refers to the incredibly stupid amount of time Krillin and Gohan spent on the planet. Usually people ask that when an anime or manga series spends a fucking ridiculous amount of time on one event or place. For example:

In Bleach, they're in Soul Society for like 50 years.
In Naruto, they're doing Chuunin exams for 20.
In One Piece, they fight Don Krieg for at least 100 years.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 03:08:04 pm »
Frieza Saga is the longest part of DBZ. "Are they still on Namek?" refers to the incredibly stupid amount of time Krillin and Gohan spent on the planet. Usually people ask that when an anime or manga series spends a fucking ridiculous amount of time on one event or place. For example:

In Bleach, they're in Soul Society for like 50 years.
In Naruto, they're doing Chuunin exams for 20.
In One Piece, they fight Don Krieg for at least 100 years.

Oh, okay.  That joke just went over my head for some reason.  You are right they do spend a retarded amount of time on Namek.  Most of it powering up.

blah_blah

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 02:09:33 pm »
That is so true.....I hated the Namek Sagas, and the Frieza sagas, all I did was watch the fight between SSJ Goku and Frieza.

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 12:37:40 am »
And it takes 30 something episodes for 5-10 minutes to pass.

I appreciate the eye-candy, but not when there's 1000... minutes worth of it and causes the plot to slow to a crawl.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:12:31 am by Cashino »

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 05:14:41 pm »
That is definitely true.  While time dialation is frequent in anime (possibly due to the massive speeds (i.e. large Lorentz factor) involved in many actions in anime that get dialated) it usually doesn't happen to that extent.

YunaChou

• Your friendly, neighborhood Repo Woman
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Im only living out a lie!
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 09:16:05 pm »
I used to try to catch it along with Sailormoon....cuz I ama chick and believed in woman power  http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/YunaChouChan/Emoticons/hardgay.gif
DBZ Confession

I miss those shows http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/YunaChouChan/Emoticons/frere.gif
DBZ Confession

Mediocrity

• Idea Factory Fan - PLEASE IGNORE
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • the neverending sunlight is so blinding it's cruel
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 12:24:08 am »
My DBZ-related confession is that I've never watched an episode from beginning to end. I can't.
"My son is sixteen, my wife is dead, and you're an asshole." - Jessie to Citan, Xenogears: A Rope of Robots, Part 19

YunaChou

• Your friendly, neighborhood Repo Woman
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Im only living out a lie!
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 12:55:04 pm »
My DBZ-related confession is that I've never watched an episode from beginning to end. I can't.

Looks like I need to go over dere and make that happen http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/YunaChouChan/Emoticons/I20cut20you20bad_bonus.gif
DBZ Confession

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
Not a confession, but interesting
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 08:59:43 pm »
Found some interesting info:

(Son) Goku is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese Sun Wukong, more commonly known as the Monkey King in the West, from the Chinese epic "Journey to the West." This explains a lot of his powers (at least in the original Dragon Ball series). A list of similarities:

The monkey tail (if I need to explain this, I will whack you with a laughing gnome that's high on helium)

The staff (it can grow to absurd lengths, although in Journey to the West, it could shrink to the size of a sewing needle and weighed 6,750 kg, among other things). Also notable: the staff was said to go as high as the heavens. Goku had to extend his staff to get to Kami's Lookout for the first time in the Dragon Ball series (which can be equated as "heaven" in the living world).

Sun Wukong had something called the "Cloud Summersault," which allowed him to jump ~54,000 km. He also had a pair of cloud-walking boots. This is parallelled by the Flying Nimbus and, later, the ability to fly.

Sun Wukong was able to defeat 100,000 soldiers, the Four Heavenly Kings (four really powerful guys with really long life spans), Erlang Shen (warring deity), and Nezha (trickster deity). Parallelled by Goku's exploits in beating many powerful opponants.

Both lost their masters due to a problem with them, although Wukong lost his (or rather, was "disowned" by his) due to his arrogance vs. Goku killing his [surrogate grandfather/master] due to his monkey transformation.

Both came from the mountains and were born unnaturally. Wukong came from a stone made of primodial chaos while Goku is an alien.

They have to protect and help people throughout their journeys.

They also cheat death a few times, although Goku actually dies once (in the beginning of DBZ)

In both endings (for Dragon Ball, the GT sub-series ending), they ascend to higher levels (Wukong attains Buddhahood; Goku effectively becomes of a comparible level to Shen Long [the Eternal Dragon])

They both have a pig companion who lusts after women and can transform. (Oolong in Dragon Ball series). On a side note: how they meet and become companions is VERY similar. Wukong and the priest he was guarding went to a town and subdued to lustful pig there, who joined the journey afterwords; similar deal with Goku and Oolong.

On a completely unrelated to DBZ note:

Sun Wukong had a headband that would cause him a lot of pain that triggers by a special chant by the guy he was to protect; this is VERY similar to Inuyasha's necklace and Kagome, not to mention the usage (IE used whenever they become irritating or otherwise annoying).

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 09:53:32 pm »
I think Akira Toriyama has been pretty open about the influences of Son Wukong and the travelling monk Xuangzang myth in dragon ball.  I mean in Asia you can't really get away with that since everybody knows about the monkey king story ^^

PS.  I forgot this thread even existed until today.  Yey!

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 11:52:25 pm »
Toriyama has stated that Dragonball was inspired by monkey king story.