Author Topic: Mecha of all types.  (Read 17738 times)

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
Mecha of all types.
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:39:45 pm »
Considering the tangent covetred in the SRW thread, it may be far simpler to confine such talk to a single thread, but a single note may be in order:

While "Mecha" is commonly used to describe humanoid (or at the very least, zoologically-based) war machines, the term's actual meaning ac be defined to mean any manner of mechanical object. However, for purposes of simplicity, I'm allowing it to cover any manner of war machine. Warships, tanks, humanoid, all of these have a place here.

Anyhow, since there was already such discussion underway, I'm sure that there will be little priming needed by me at the start of this thread.
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
Re: Mecha of all types.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:12:34 pm »
Yeah, mecha is pretty general as a term if you go by the dictionary definition.  However Mecha (i.e. Giant Robots) are awesome.  The main reason I tend to like Mecha is mainly their flexibility as a war machine (particularly humanoid ones or ones with hands) in so far as they can switch weapon types and have the ability to reach just about any firing angle.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:13:12 pm »
I think, however, that Mecha, in the colloquial definition, are underused as merely part of a combined arms focus. I only really know of four instances where this is the case, and three of them are tabletop wargames. Also, it's not good to generalize that all humanoid combat machines have the same weapons-switching capability. While the Gundam-style machine is the one most commonly thought of, take a look at this:

Now, here's where I don't see any hands, but Battletech may not be the best example, given that the only common hand-held weapons are melee, so an anime example would probably be needed. Given that I haven't been able to find one yet, however, leads me to think that the hand-less main combat unit is fare more common on this side of the Pacific.

And now, my peculiarities: I have a tendency to designate warships by real-world definitions, i.e., I will call a Star Destroyer a battleship, because that's the role that it fills. With Star Trek it's far easier, because they use standard naming conventions.

Freespace, however, may get a little confusing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 06:24:29 pm by R-9 »
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 09:08:08 pm »
Yes, but will you need all those weapons in a single battle?  The ability to switch out gear at a moments notice or to even craft your gear to the situation is useful.  Also it reduces the net weight of your mech.  While an armless model may have the advantage of no flailing apendages I think it has been shown that arms are an advantage not a disadvantage.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:26:25 pm »
Yes, but will you need all those weapons in a single battle?  The ability to switch out gear at a moments notice or to even craft your gear to the situation is useful.  Also it reduces the net weight of your mech.  While an armless model may have the advantage of no flailing apendages I think it has been shown that arms are an advantage not a disadvantage.

Well, in Battletech, yes. BT armor is fairly hardy stuff, and could shrug off hits that would blow up most anime machines. Besides, I was talking about how humanoid machines can't be generalized as having hands.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:20:20 pm »
Hot damn. I've actually found myself arguning against the idea that mecha should have special bonuses in Starmada X, so i thought I'd actually share that here.

The big thing about space combat in anime is that, for the most part, it operates on what I call "Wing Commander Physics": As in, vehicles in space must maintain constant thrust for constant velocity. As such, fighters tend to be denied some of the crazy moves they could pull in space, such as traveling in one direction while firing in another, as seen in Babylon 5 and Terminus.

Mecha tend to dominate in space combat largely because space fighters in anime tend to be built on an atmospheric model, not to take advantage of the practically unrestricted newtonian motion of space.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 05:31:45 pm »
True.  However anime that involve Mecha tend to get away from the WC Physics and more towards the real world physics.  The question is will a mecha be more useful in real physics combat than say a Starfury.

TUIII

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:31:37 am »
Escaflowne?

xD
Kore ga Chikara da!

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 04:46:53 pm »
What about Escaflowne?  The image you have there is broken from what I can see.

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:11 am »
I used to have a badass-looking movie poster of Escaflowne a few years back, but I think I may have lost it after moving in and out of the campus dorms one time...  either that, or it's hidden amongst the piles of random crap in my room...  =/

...but yeah, I don't see a picture or anything either, TUIII.  What's the deal??

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 05:46:06 pm »
Escaflowne is an awesome series.  I love the fact the Van basically has infinite blood.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 10:32:54 pm »
Now, here's where I don't see any hands, but Battletech may not be the best example, given that the only common hand-held weapons are melee, so an anime example would probably be needed. Given that I haven't been able to find one yet, however, leads me to think that the hand-less main combat unit is fare more common on this side of the Pacific.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following Battlemech's that have hand-carried non-melee weapons: Stinger, Phoenix Hawk (a Robotech rip), Griffin, Wolverine, Charger, Battlemaster, Vixen.  Battletech's explanation on pumping electric output from the engine to all weapons that need it contradict the theory of hand-held weapons though, which probably explains why you don't see many hand-based non-melee weapons in BT, and the ones you do are almost exclusively some of the earliest designs.  The best explanation is that they're fed power through some kind of link cable.  The weapon can be abandoned (blow explosive bolts on the link and drop the gun) but can't be wielded again except as a club.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »
Off the top of my head, I can think of the following Battlemech's that have hand-carried non-melee weapons: Stinger, Phoenix Hawk (a Robotech rip), Griffin, Wolverine, Charger, Battlemaster, Vixen.  Battletech's explanation on pumping electric output from the engine to all weapons that need it contradict the theory of hand-held weapons though, which probably explains why you don't see many hand-based non-melee weapons in BT, and the ones you do are almost exclusively some of the earliest designs.  The best explanation is that they're fed power through some kind of link cable.  The weapon can be abandoned (blow explosive bolts on the link and drop the gun) but can't be wielded again except as a club.

The Stinger and PHX are both Macross-based, and the Wolverine and Battlemaster are from Dougram. Also, the idea of hand-held weapons seems to have been dumped utterly after TRO: 3055.

TUIII

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 05:31:41 pm »
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2453/escaflowneac0.jpg
Mecha of all types.

And th Dragon Mode

I'm seeking the manga, exist 2 versions, a shonen and a shojo.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:35:40 pm by TUIII »
Kore ga Chikara da!

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 01:02:17 am »
Okay, now I can see the pics.  I love that show, however I kind of wish the dragon mode had a little beefer wings, but that's just my preference.

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 11:59:50 pm »
lol When I think of Mecha I alwats remember Goldorak(I think in english his name was Grandizer).

Trapani21

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 06:32:11 pm »
Robotech was the first mecha and anime I had ever seen when I was a kid.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 03:22:17 pm »
Same here.  Robotech is a lot of fun.  The Veritech's are very cool.

P.S. Yes, I know that Robotech is just a redub of Macross, but I like the protrayal of the characters in Robotech better.

EnsignRyusei

• Mechaphile
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 04:25:17 pm »
So, has anybody else here already watched the first 2 episodes of Gundam 00 yet?
Concentrate your mind
Mutter the spell to Mini-Hakkero tenderly
Aim at someone you don't like
Now unleash your annihilation of love!
!MASTER SPARK!

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 12:46:14 am »
I have.  Not sure of the direction it's heading, but it's seeming like a mix of GSD and GW.