Author Topic: Otaku  (Read 24340 times)

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
    • ROCK AND ROLL STRIKES BACK!
Otaku
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:30:41 pm »
This is for discussion of otaku. I personally detest them. There's a fine line between playing video games and watching anime, and posting stupid shit on a message board at Hyperguy's expense (literally; he pays money so you can act stupid).

What are your views on otaku culture, or lack thereof?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 08:31:16 pm by H Giddy »

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
Re: Otaku
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:18:27 pm »
I think that anyone who uses the word "Otaku" casually doesn't know what the word actually means.

Albert Einstein loved science, but Nikola Tesla actually forgot who he was when he was engrossed in his work. An "Otaku" would be the fanboy equivalent of Tesla. Or a Red Sox fan. True Otaku will self-destruct on their own. The rest aren't worth directing even the tiniest measure of impotent rage towards. I have real concerns that leave me no room for such a wasteful indulgence.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 03:35:14 pm by R-9 »
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

tsar

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • EVERYBODY DANCE!
    • deviantART is for fags
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:07 pm »
Let's deport them. They're on the wrong side of the Pacific.

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:04:14 pm »
Khris you said it wrong. I thought I made it clear that it will always be the wrong side of the Pacific.

Jesus.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:11:59 pm »
Now that I have finished my Plutarch, I can now enact a more complete summation of my feelings on this issue.

The anime fandom is not deserving of any more scorn than sports, nor wrestling, or any other fandom that inspires fierce devotion in its followers. They have not attempted any harm to me, including but not limited to the following.

-They have not attempted physical injury upon me, my fellows, my family, nor the porperty of all listed.

-They have not spread lies, nor sullied my honor in any other way.

-They have not pushed upon me intoxicants, any manner of smokable leaf, halluciogenic reagents or pills, opiates, nor any powder or stone created from the coca plant.

-They have not pushed upon me any form of religious conversion.

-They have borne not other malice against me, lasting or otherwise.

It is perhaps noteworthy that most of the other denominations of society have attempted one or more of such actions against me previously. To give in to a paleolithic proto-emotion would show an unforgivable weakness of character on my part. My mind, thankfully, is ruled by reason.

A single point, however, may be conceded: Giving in entirely to the stereotypes and preconceptions of one's culture or subculture does one no boon. In my interactions with the greater fandom, I have indeed met many charming ladies. While not exactly "fantasy girls", I believe I was better off knowing them and enjoying their company. If you can't look past something as trivial as yaoi, there is really little more to say.
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

lumberjack33

• OK
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Dojinmule
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:10:42 pm »
...I was under the impression that the stuff on the other thread was sarcasm, TBH.

As R-9 said, otaku are mostly harmless, so there's no real issue for me.

The real problem is that for more or less anybody who isn't part of the gaming or anime communities/cultures will view anybody who plays games/watches anime at all as "otaku" whether they choose to use or even know of the word or not.

While attitudes to gaming at least are improving, certainly within my own age group (ref: all that game legislation of late) it can still be problematic- I have a T-shirt with a generic anime-style character on it, which lead to a few awkward conversations with some friends-of-a-friend when i wore it to a house party said friend was holding, which can make it difficult to make friends outside of games-and-anime groups, which has the knock on effect of recieving few influences outside of the two.

It's not like they're the only things that suffer this (I have also been accused of being a pill-pusher and a flaming homosexual for liking electronic/dance music, and there's always British football hooliganism), but they do get it a lot more than others.

I'm sure I've got a greater point to make, but I've never been any good at this 'writing' lark.
DOJINMULE - dojinshi on the emule network, now with over 400 dojins

lumberjack33

• OK
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Dojinmule
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 07:12:57 pm »
...I was under the impression that the stuff on the other thread was sarcasm, TBH.

As R-9 said, otaku are mostly harmless, so there's no real issue for me.

The real problem is that for more or less anybody who isn't part of the gaming or anime communities/cultures will view anybody who plays games/watches anime at all as "otaku" whether they choose to use or even know of the word or not.

While attitudes to gaming at least are improving, certainly within my own age group (ref: all that game legislation of late) it can still be problematic- I have a T-shirt with a generic anime-style character on it, which lead to a few awkward conversations with some friends-of-a-friend when i wore it to a house party said friend was holding, which can make it difficult to make friends outside of games-and-anime groups, which has the knock on effect of recieving few influences outside of the two.

And, of course, it's a lot easier when your interests are already wildly popular- it's easy to meet sports fans when your local pub knows it can pull in some punters by sticking the football on. Doesn't work so well with anime.

It's not like they're the only things that suffer this (I have also been accused of being a pill-pusher and a flaming homosexual for liking electronic/dance music, and there's always British football hooliganism), but they do get it a lot more than others.

I'm sure I've got a greater point to make, but I've never been any good at this 'writing' lark.
DOJINMULE - dojinshi on the emule network, now with over 400 dojins

LordRyunson

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »
Exactly what I was going to say, R-9 and lumberjack.

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:38:56 pm »
to me, an otaku is simply someone who loves anime, video games, or generally all things Japanese.  they don't necessarily have to be 101%-OBSESSED with these things.  in fact, i consider myself an otaku.  if i'm correct, i believe the actual translation of "otaku" is "fan," as in "i'm a fan of Naruto," etc.  if i am an otaku, then i am simply a fan of the above-mentioned things.  nothing more, nothing less.

however, i DO believe that some otakus are more extreme than others.  in such cases, i would just call those people "hardcore otakus" or simply a ____ nerd, where ____ is whatever series/game/fetish/etc. that person is into.  i also believe there is a difference between terms such as "nerd" and "geek" as well; to me, "nerd" is a more extreme term, but i'm sure other people would disagree with my opinion.

otakus, extreme or not, are all people who love a certain thing, just the same as how an athletic person may love sports, or how an alcoholic loves booze.  they can help or harm someone just like anyone else can, to varying degrees.  but in the issue of how they can keep you from getting girls and what not, that's just a generalized characteristic of the otaku culture - a stereotype, if you will.  and, as much as i hate to admit it, stereotypes ARE real...  but people of a certain stereotype aren't necessarily confined to it.  an otaku CAN hook up with a supermodel, whereas a muscly jock may also have an artistic side.

so, whether you enjoy watching anime on Adult Swim every once in a while, or you've memorized all the measurements of each girl on a Viper hentai game, you're an otaku in my eyes.

LordRyunson

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »
You are so right, Tetsaru. I'm not speaking in a sarcastic tone either, since part of me is an otaku....

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:41:55 pm »
The word otaku is an insult in Japan. If I called you a loser retard, I'd be accomplishing the same goal as just calling you otaku.

LordRyunson

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 08:47:16 pm »

No wonder why this forum is falling apart. In my opinion, those who have nothing better to do in their lives than make fun of the otaku's are bigger loser retards than the victimized. Next time you want to start making fun of someone in a hurtful way, I suggest you keep those comments to yourself.

Or better yet, don't say them at all.

HMD

• Lots of Good Things
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Love and Punk
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:26 pm »
Oh um. Wow. I wasn't really trying to insult anyone with that post, but if you want me to, I will.

The reason the forums are falling apart is because George Bush doesn't care about black people.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »
My entire problem with anime fans/otaku is that the don't act like anime fans. A fan of something usually has enough restraint to not overwhelm people with what it is they're a fan of.

For instance, my dad's a major fan of football, but when mom's got company, he doesn't irritate them with the details of the last football game he saw. He knows they don't like it, or at least don't care one way about it, and doesn't bother them with it.

But these anime fuckers! They just won't shut up! I had this kid go on and on and ON about Naruto, even after I told him I really don't give a shit about the series. In the end, I had to throw him bodily out of the room I was in. He just didn't get the clue.

This is the problem with most people who don't like or don't care about anime. The people who do like and care about it just plain won't leave it alone and talk about something else. It's all they've got to live on, apparently, which is where all the derision starts.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

LordRyunson

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 10:26:55 pm »
On a non-offensive note, do anime makers count as otaku themselves? Cause in real life, I intend on making an anime with all the knowledge I gained as an otaku....

tsar

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • EVERYBODY DANCE!
    • deviantART is for fags
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 10:34:04 pm »
I all I can say is "Good Ruck Wit Dat."

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 10:39:34 pm »
I also can't stand how anime fans will use random Japanese words or phrases in the middle of english sentences.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

LordRyunson

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 10:49:43 pm »
What about Vice Versa? So far, in my opinion, the only anime fan allowed to say such things is Sodom from Street Fighter Alpha 3. He is the inspiration of all game fans. No really, He IS!! He says that in the game.

Doctor_Raven

• Lone Guardian of Cybertron
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 10:54:33 pm »
I also can't stand how anime fans will use random Japanese words or phrases in the middle of english sentences.

I can't stand it when they use ENGRISH names in sentences.
ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:50 pm »
Until I meet a japanese person that speaks japanese to me with random english words in their speech, the japs can get away with it.