Author Topic: VARIABLE GEO: High resolution artwork?  (Read 5779 times)

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
VARIABLE GEO: High resolution artwork?
« on: June 28, 2008, 09:19:58 pm »
I apologize if this has been gone over somewhere else before, but this place is even more of an unnavigable mess than it was three years ago.

I'm looking for some high resolution Variable Geo artwork. I'm talking about the old, Takahiro Kimura era stuff and not that newfangled bullshit after '98 that looks like they paid some amateur date sim artist to take over. I'm working on a custom project and I need stuff that'll look nice when printed out at a fairly large size.

I'm already aware of the scans of the VG artbook at Yuka Takeuchi Fan's thingy or whatever its called, but they're far too small. The best stuff I've found so far has been here and at Be Your True Mind (dokuganryu.net) - specifically, from the Takahiro Kimura artbook and certain parts of his scans from the Variable Geo artbook. As is that scanner's usual deal, neither are complete book scans and they vary wildly in actual size (mostly with the VG book).

I could probably work with some of the stuff I've already found, but I want to know if there's any more good high res stuff out there or that could be whipped up or something.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: VARIABLE GEO: High resolution artwork?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:12 am »
There's some higher quality scans at Blade and Epsilon's, and before my hard drive died I had an art CD of high quality commercial artwork from Variable Geo that was given to me by YeldellGW.

He's the only person I know of who had a copy of that disc.  We're going to have ask him if he can reupload it for us.  As a head's up, it was produced in a time when computer's  resolution was 640 x 800, so I think by "high resolution back then's" standards, the highest are in the 1024 range.  Still! They're clean bitmaps of almost all of the covers of Variable Geo video games and some other merchandise.

Oh! One more thing.

There's a Takahiro Kimura artbook called 'Risky Dolls' that has high quality Variable Geo artwork in it.

And I know there's a high quality scan of it available because I've seen a few of the pages on 4chan!  But it looks like it was uploaded a really long time ago.  Sadly, I was only able to find a rapidsearch download of a lower quality version.

I hope this helps.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:58 am »
Oh yeah, and if you need any artwork rips from any of the games, just ask.  I've got tools for ripping sprites from most of the games.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:12:57 am »
Here's a download link to the low res version of Risky Dolls that I found:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b84f05/n/Kimura_Takanobu_Risky_Dolls_rar

And here's a sample image from within:

The image sizes are large, but are ridden with artifacts.  There IS a higher resolution version on the web.  It's just a matter of finding it.

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:22:25 am »
Ah, that's the one the random, really high res Dokuganryu.net scans come from. Pretty silly that he wouldn't put the actual name of the damn artbook on there (he even cropped out those side panels). Anyway, it seems all the VG art that would be usable to me was scanned by him, so I'm in no rush to get bigger scans of that, as nice as it'd be.

That CD sounds interesting. Not useful for my purposes at that size, but regardless, I have been trying to collect any and all VG art for some time now anyway.

Also, I would obliterate an orphanage for translations of Kimura's comments at the end of that book.