Author Topic: Visual Novels  (Read 45101 times)

EnsignRyusei

• Mechaphile
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
Visual Novels
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:51:35 am »
So, anyone else here that has played any visual novels?
I'v played a few of them with my favorite one being Tsukihime
Concentrate your mind
Mutter the spell to Mini-Hakkero tenderly
Aim at someone you don't like
Now unleash your annihilation of love!
!MASTER SPARK!

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: Visual Novels
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:15:38 pm »
I play visual novel games and I'm currently making one. :O

My favorite's Tokimeki Check In.

The two software I know of that allow you to make your own are Renpy and Blade Engine.

You can download fan made visual novel games here: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Ren'Py_Games

And here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:59 pm »
I can't wait to see your visual novel, I would make one too if I didn't fail so hard!

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:07 pm »
Make your own visual novel? Sound nice!

MMX

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »
My favorite's Tokimeki Check In.

That's one of my favorites too.  One of the few ADV/visual novel type games I can actually get into.

I dunno I just have this weird problem with certain games of the genre.  I just lose interest.  I think it's a combination of not knowing any japanese and being totally desensitized to the little ecchi they divvy out at the slow pace they do.

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:39:16 pm »
If it doesn't have gameplay of some sort, I tend to shy away from it unless it's REALLY good (as in something I've never seen/thought of before...and I've seen pretty much everything there is) or is at least comedic.

The only reason I don't make these or write books for that matter is because of my overwhelming laziness. I got some pretty crazy ideas in my head that'd make for some interesting reading.

Mirai Doft

• Hero
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • *¬*
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:19:51 am »
Do H-games count? The first one I played was Bible Black. At the time I was like "zomg h-games roxx!!", but the ones I played after it didn't even get close to how much I enjoyed Bible Black, 'cause they either had shitty story or bad CGs...
I like big bOObs and I can not lie!

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:51:38 am »
I can't wait to see your visual novel, I would make one too if I didn't fail so hard!
I'd like to see it too!  Making a good visual novel is hard work!

But I haven't gotten to that point whether it's good or bad or not!  I'm still putting it together!  Though, I think what I've planned so far looks promising.

That's one of my favorites too.  One of the few ADV/visual novel type games I can actually get into.

I dunno I just have this weird problem with certain games of the genre.  I just lose interest.  I think it's a combination of not knowing any japanese and being totally desensitized to the little ecchi they divvy out at the slow pace they do.
Speaking of Tokimeki Check In, this image needs to be reposted:

I've rarely seen choices in a game that arbitrary, which in a way kinda feels like a parody of how lightly the concept of rape's taken in h-games.  Literally, a rape button.

You're right though.  Just like reading a book, it takes a little bit of patience to get to the good parts of a visual novel.  If the beginning's written badly or if the initial choices you can make are confusing you might not make it to the middle or even care when you get there.

If it doesn't have gameplay of some sort, I tend to shy away from it unless it's REALLY good (as in something I've never seen/thought of before...and I've seen pretty much everything there is) or is at least comedic.

The only reason I don't make these or write books for that matter is because of my overwhelming laziness. I got some pretty crazy ideas in my head that'd make for some interesting reading.
I think it's interesting how in an RPG I'll spend hours of playing enduring gameplay just to get to the story parts, which are more or less either a few lines of text or in the case of the FF games a long cinematic.  What I recently realized was that VN games are like entire games just based on those little story parts, or rather, like an RPG but without gameplay for better or worse.

And yeah, writing takes energy.  And patience.  And wheaties.  It's easy to write but it's difficult to write something good on your first try everytime.

Do H-games count? The first one I played was Bible Black. At the time I was like "zomg h-games roxx!!", but the ones I played after it didn't even get close to how much I enjoyed Bible Black, 'cause they either had shitty story or bad CGs...
Erogames do count.  Commercially there's probably more erogame visual novels than any other type.  But, erogames are just a genre within the format of visual novel.  There's really no limit to what kind of story you can make.  Speaking of which, I've seen some weird ones.  Like for example, Marry Me Misato, an english fangame where the objective is to get Misato from Evangelion to marry you. O_o

Edit: Just now, I downloaded and played Marry Me Misato.  I've got to say, anyone who's ever felt strong feelings for a character should play this game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:07:46 am by Hyperguy »

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:51:37 pm »
Speaking of which, I've seen some weird ones.  Like for example, Marry Me Misato, an english fangame where the objective is to get Misato from Evangelion to marry you. O_o

AND JUST WHAT THE HELL IS SO WEIRD ABOUT SUCH A GAME!?

Misato-sama is just the single greatest female character in any fictional story ever created, bar none.  I mean... pssh.  Why do you think my favorite Winamp skin is of her U_U

And... and other stuff.

And.... and.... SCREW YOU CULT OF THE CROSS PENDANT AND BEAUTIFUL ALCOHOLIC AND DEEP PURPLE FOREVER!

And all those other sites built for worshipping the eva goddess that existed before the vile Rei-Asuka coalition rose up together and destroyed its temples and salted its farmlands.  DAMN THEM TO HELL!!

Also that is like one of the best, and probably most iconic, scenes in that entire game.  Poor Ayumi takes so much crap in that game ^^  But she does have one of the best good endings I believe.  You know, in one of the few storylines where she doesn't get violently raped, and you and she end up in that garden or whatever at the end.  That was sweet.  Then again you might have had to rape her to get to that storyline, I forget.  Haven't played it in a long while.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:00:39 pm »
AND JUST WHAT THE HELL IS SO WEIRD ABOUT SUCH A GAME!?
Aside from the concept of an honest to goodness crusade of a flesh and blood mortal attempting to marry an anime character, the ways in which he does it are particularly weird.

Wait, what am I saying?  YOU MADE THIS GAME, DIDN'T YOU! :X!!

Also that is like one of the best, and probably most iconic, scenes in that entire game.  Poor Ayumi takes so much crap in that game ^^  But she does have one of the best good endings I believe.  You know, in one of the few storylines where she doesn't get violently raped, and you and she end up in that garden or whatever at the end.  That was sweet.  Then again you might have had to rape her to get to that storyline, I forget.  Haven't played it in a long while.
She does!  And the role reversal at the end's just the icing on the cake.

There's no rape leading to that ending, though I think down one story branch it's possible for her to get raped 3 times.  Once by the hotel guests, once by Takayuki, and once by the lesbian couple.

It's such a nice game I wish that I wish they'd make a sequel.

Edit:

Found the intro on Youtube:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:41:36 am by JG »

Nitorin

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-BTR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Titanfall
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 01:12:14 am »
I played a long time ago.I think my version was in japanese >_>

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:52:11 am »
DEEP PURPLE FOREVER!

<---- has purple hair fetish. Purple hair = instant win.

Also that is like one of the best, and probably most iconic, scenes in that entire game.  Poor Ayumi takes so much crap in that game

But she takes it a lot better than some other heroines.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 04:37:33 pm »
ahhh yes, Makoto the chef.  sadism ftw X_X

EnsignRyusei

• Mechaphile
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 04:55:42 pm »
O shi-
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/LeoStenbuck345/Various%202/BadEnd.jpg
Visual Novels
Concentrate your mind
!MASTER SPARK!

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 08:49:14 pm »

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 11:31:13 pm »
SAUCE NOW ROBOT BOY

Looks like Tsukihime.

Fate/Stay Night is my current favourite.  Don't think it'll be dethroned anytime soon.

EnsignRyusei

• Mechaphile
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 01:28:55 am »
Looks like Tsukihime.

Fate/Stay Night is my current favourite.  Don't think it'll be dethroned anytime soon.

To be specific, its from Kagetsu Tohya, a sort of 'sequel' to Tsukihime
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:33:09 am by EnsignRyusei »
Concentrate your mind
!MASTER SPARK!

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 09:40:05 am »
Thanks dude, +rep

EnsignRyusei

• Mechaphile
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 11:21:19 am »
And i like where this is going
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/LeoStenbuck345/Various%202/DFC-1.jpg
Visual Novels

Also, fuck yeah delicious flat chest
Concentrate your mind
!MASTER SPARK!

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 07:46:15 am »
Also, fuck yeah delicious flat chest

D=

Tetsaru does not approve of the loli chest...  nice scene, but the chest is epic fail.  That poor guy has nothing to grope or titfuck... ;_;

/end bakunyuu-lover bias  >_<