Author Topic: Variable Geo Custom Sprites  (Read 7618 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Variable Geo Custom Sprites
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:19:20 pm »
So...

Variable Geo Custom sprites...

Uhm...

There's really not much to discuss about them, so here they are:

Wait, wait, no, I have something to say!  In Variable Geo Custom for the PC (which you can download at theunderdogs.org) you can access the game's sprites by going into a character's folder and changing the extension on the VGC file to BMP.  From there, when you look at the sprites they're all in various shades of black and blue.  I then took them into Photoshop and ImageReady and switched out all of the colors on them with colors from their actual 1P outfits, which I got from screen capping AVG2 for PS1(Custom doesn't show correctly on my computer).

Normally a sprite sheet for the amount of sprites each character has would be several dimensions long, so I did the next best thing and compiled them all into animated gif files, with each gif frame being a set of game animation frames.  So, in order to use them, you'd need a gif animator in order to extract sprites from individual frames.  Sounds like a hassle, doesn't it?  You're right!  Actually, I wanted to work on these a little more before putting them up, but thought that some resourceful people might appreciate them all the same.  Like, for example, people who animate sprites.  I think it's safe to say that people who animate sprites are at least going to have a gif program.

Don't worry, I'll put them up on the main site for all you nonanimating sprite afficiandos after I'm done working on them.  Consider this thread like a prerelease exclusive to forum members or something.  With hats.

You might notice the colors on the projectiles and hitsparks are also messed up.  I'm going to have to go back and fix that.  I also haven't extracted sprites for Satomi or Tamao yet.  That's because it actually takes a good amount of time to switch out the colors on each of these sets.  I'll post them later. Once I'm done extracting and correcting color on projectiles, I'm going to try animating some characters for great justice.

Oh! And one more cool thing.

It looks like in mid-developement of the game someone at Giga thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if in game you'd get to see the VG girls in their skivvies?"  I looked around each girl's sprite sets and noticed that some of them have sprites of them in their underwear.  I'm guessing the reason why not all of them have them is because the feature must have been taken out before the game was finished.  However, they were left among the game's regular sprites for some reason.

Here's the ones I found for Ayako, Satomi, Jun, and Manami:

That's probably all of them.  I didn't find any others when I glanced at other girl's sprites, though it wouldn't suprise me if Chiho had one, because she's got the most animations in the game(somewhere around 50).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:23:28 pm by Hyperguy »

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
Re: Variable Geo Custom Sprites
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 07:24:19 pm »
I thought those were swimsuits for some reason.

And Kaori was among the few that had a sprite in her unmentionables as well.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:03 am »
Please post it.  I don't think I've seen it.

Now that you mention, they do seem a lot more like swimsuits.  After all, Satomi wears white cotton panties.  Manami's undergarments are the same thing she wore in the ova.

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:16:24 pm »
Sent it via FTP.  Should be with the last batch of pics I sent you.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 01:15:52 pm »
Thanks.  That reminds me, I still have to go through those images you FTPed to make sure I received them all.  How many am I supposed to have, and at what file size?

Yesterday I extract gifs for the rest of the VG fighters.  Here they are:

Chiho:

Kaori:

Tamao's a secret character you can play in Vs. Mode ^_^

I'll post Kaori in her swimsuit next.  I forgot to bring it with me when I was uploading files. O_o

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:42:09 pm »
Seeing a megane-ko in a swimsuit makes me happy. =]

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 08:48:03 pm »
Thanks.  That reminds me, I still have to go through those images you FTPed to make sure I received them all.  How many am I supposed to have, and at what file size?

Sorry for the late reply, but here goes.  Can't recall the actual sizes of the files, but I did double check each time I sent them.  You should have every pic that were on the CDs.

Seeing a megane-ko in a swimsuit makes me happy. =]

Ditto.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 11:49:12 am »
Okay, thanks.  I'll convert them to lossless png format and put them in the gallery this week. =D