Author Topic: CoA Forum Meta Thread  (Read 7641 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
CoA Forum Meta Thread
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:53 pm »
I'd say we're long overdue a forum restructuring, and I'm open to suggestions.

Seems like people talk about other hentai series a lot in the Viper forum, so I added a general hentai forum.  Please discuss any nonViper hentai games, series, anime, etc. there.

I know a lot of hentai forums have specific sections for downloads for cg sets and doujinshi and stuff, but would people be interested in seeing stuff for that here?  My main concern with that is that it might attract a flood of mindless leechers who don't contribute to discussion and only post to ask for reuploads.

Like this scenario for example!

HG: "I dare say chap, happenstance, the plot of Viper V8 is quite riveting in its own regard, though not the pinnacle of--"
sasuke5000: "wher dwnlard link? u giv nao!"
ssjKefka: "thanks op for dl! five staers!"
HG: ":("

One of the things I like about the Congress of Awesome is that we do take out the time to talk about things from time to time, as opposed to being a hub of file share links.

And it's a bit hypocritical for me to take this stance with a General Downloads board already in place, but seeing as how that really doesn't feel like it's adding anything I'm considering axeing that as well.  There are people who have joined just to post links with their affiliate ids in there, yet whom never contribute to discussion.

Also, I'm considering merging the video games forum into general discussion.

Also, if anyone would like a mod position(And the duties and responsibilities therein!) now would be a good time to ask.  Albeit, since it has been rather slow lately there isn't much to moderate for the time being. >_>

Edit: Considering adding a PC98 Forum, CG Ripping Forum, and Photoshop Forum.  Please provide feedback.

As for the PC98 forum, the idea behind this is that there aren't many around.  There are a few, though I feel like this is a nice niche that could be fulfilled here.  We've already cornered the web on Viper discussion, and while I don't think the PC98 forum would be as popular, it just seems like a natural progression since a lot of people here already play PC98 games and many Viper games are also on the PC98.

CG Ripping Forum:  Though a lot of hentai communities*(we're moreso a community that has hentai in addition to otaku content, not just) have forums for sharing CG sets I don't see many specifically for ripping and distributing HCG.  Of course, this would be for us to post the stuff we've ripped and not to post second hand rips.

Photoshop Forum: Essentially, a forum dedicated to posting joke images made in Photoshop.  Sorry if the title's a bit general and misleading.  We've been doing this type of humor for years now so I figure a forum's in order.  *(Though now that I think about it, it's kind of like the Viper Thumbnail Forum in a way, though with a broader scale.)

I try to be careful when adding forums because I don't want to spread things out too thinly.  O_o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:10:56 pm by Hyperguy »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: CoA Forum Meta Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »
PC98 forum: Enthusastic Thumbs Up!
You know, some of the board's other popular series (Lovers/Green, V.G., Lakers, etc.) all got their start on PC98, so I'm sure there's enough to talk about.  I highly support the addition of this board.

Photoshop forum: Thumbs Up!
Good idea, but I'd like to see it include all created content, not just imagery.  For example, Bill's music would have gone in there, as would all these Miki kitbashes that are flooding my Carrerachan sidebar.  I propose the name "Look what I made!"

CG Ripping forum: Thumbs down.
I'd rather see torrent or direct download links for CGs in the Content Share forum. Anything someone ripped or scanned on their very own would go into the Photoshop/"Look what I made" forum.  (The only problem I see what this suggestion is where to put information about ripping, not rips themselves, such as that thread about decode logic for the Lakers OZM and OZ2 image files. Of course, I supplied rips for those so the answer would be Photoshop/Look Ma forum for that example.)

Mirai Doft

• Hero
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • *¬*
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »
I propose the name "Look what I made!"

Or maybe "Original Content, Do Not Steal!"
I like big bOObs and I can not lie!

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »
PC98 forum: Enthusastic Thumbs Up!
You know, some of the board's other popular series (Lovers/Green, V.G., Lakers, etc.) all got their start on PC98, so I'm sure there's enough to talk about.  I highly support the addition of this board.
I suppose it would fulfill a niche.  I know there's quite a few games I'd like to make topics for as well.  Forum created.

Photoshop forum: Thumbs Up!
Good idea, but I'd like to see it include all created content, not just imagery.  For example, Bill's music would have gone in there, as would all these Miki kitbashes that are flooding my Carrerachan sidebar.  I propose the name "Look what I made!"
Or maybe "Original Content, Do Not Steal!"
In a way, the Super Arts forum was like this, but had far too broad and vague of a definition.  Ideally, it should be a place for things users have created.  I think tacking on "Art" on the title before made it seem too vague and the reference to Street Fighter 3 may have been too obscure. O_o

I like both suggested names, but of them I think Original Content's more to the point.  If anyone has a more illustrious, descriptive, or catchier name to contribute, please do so at any time, though for now I think 'Original Content''ll do.

CG Ripping forum: Thumbs down.
I'd rather see torrent or direct download links for CGs in the Content Share forum. Anything someone ripped or scanned on their very own would go into the Photoshop/"Look what I made" forum.  (The only problem I see what this suggestion is where to put information about ripping, not rips themselves, such as that thread about decode logic for the Lakers OZM and OZ2 image files. Of course, I supplied rips for those so the answer would be Photoshop/Look Ma forum for that example.)
I guess from the perspective of a downloader more concern would be on the content and not so much where it came from, so it would make sense to just drop it into the Content Share forum.  And if the contributor would want more emphasis on the fact that they made it we could just let them post it in the Original Content forum instead.

Info on CG ripping could go in the hentai forum, but if it's about the technical aspects and not just the content of the game itself it really should go into the Original Content forum.

Edit: I really was overthinking this.  Original Content's a great forum name now that I've thought about it.

My problem with "Original Content" as the name for the board is that it feels like it excludes hacks, edits, and rips.  I'd rather it be a forum where people could post up things they've worked on, regardless of them being wholely original or derivative.

Ack!  I can't think right now.  Or I'm over thinking.

In any case, I feel like I can come up with something good if I keep hacking at it. O_o

Something that ties into the whole 'congress' theme would be neat, though calling it something like 'The Showroom' or 'La Galleria' sounds a little too stuffy for my tastes.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:46:26 am by Hyperguy »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »
"Original Content, Do Not Steal!"

I am not above admitting when another's suggestion is better than mine.  And that's better!  I likes.