Author Topic: Server Maintenance - Spring 2021  (Read 2510 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Server Maintenance - Spring 2021
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:49:24 pm »
Some maintenance is needed on the server hardware in the next two weeks.

This afternoon about 3:30 local time I heard a loud pop from the server closet - the server had powered off and the UPS was whining about a line fault. While I initially thought the UPS had blown a fuse, I ultimately traced the problem to the server's power supply, where it likely blew a capacitor and is now dead. (The power supply had a 5 year warranty but its now at 5 years 7 months so.. nuts.) Fortunately I was able to replace the power supply and cables with a unit from an older PC, which will get us by until a permanent replacement can be obtained. I have now ordered one but being an older model its got to ship from California by truck and probably won't arrive until at least next weekend. It will take a good hour or two to replace the temporary power supply with the proper replacement after it arrives but I will notify everyone here a day before it happens.

Why can't I just use the temporary full-time? First because it belongs to another computer, second it is only 80 Plus rated not 80 Gold so it's a riskier unit to use on server hardware, and third because it only has enough plugs to power the main hard drives and not the backup (the server has a RAIDed pair of SSDs for the main hard drives, and an older spinning platter hard drive for backup.)

It goes without saying that when you guys buy stuff from the For Sale page, a good portion of the profit I make goes back into paying for server components. I'm not saying you have to buy stuff to earn your keep around here - providing exclusive art work or even good conversation are perfectly good methods, too. But if you've been lurking around and want to show some support, consider starting up or expanding your collection with some of my genuine Sogna items. I've got my first restock in ten months recently and hope to post a few new items in the next few days: RSR DVD; V6, GTS, and V16 Windows; GTB Ex version; and the Lanjerie trio, to name a few. If you're interested in any of these, drop me a line and you might be able to get them before I make them available to the wider public.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: Server Maintenance - Spring 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:53:15 pm »
I am tentatively planning on doing this maintenance Tuesday morning or early afternoon (American time), March 30. If I can't do it at this time for some reason, I will attempt for same timeframe on Wednesday.

If all goes well the server will be down approximately 45 minutes.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: Server Maintenance - Spring 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:30:49 am »
Installation of the new power supply is completed and all functions of the server (including backup drive) are fully functional again.