Author Topic: About computers  (Read 4917 times)

Ugenixdoujinwave

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • if you aint got haters you aint doin shit...
About computers
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:02:26 am »
hi peoples any computer guys out there??

I have a few questions,

I have a an old IBM M52 desktop, a Lenovo thinkcentre... I'm not sure if it can take a DDR2 PC6400 memory stick

from what i read in the old manual ... it takes 4200 or 5300.. doesn't mention about 6400

I guess the 6400 was built after IBM m52 (serial 8113-33U) stop production of this type of desktop

it has a PCI-express mother board.. im not sure also about getting a new videocard..im getting this Nvidia Quadro FX1700 with 512mb.. Im not sure if this motherboard can handle that much video ram.

any help guys???

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: About computers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:02:13 am »
All DDR2 memory is supposed to be backwards compatible with other DDR2 sticks.  DDR2 cannot replace regular DDR though becuase the notch is in a purposely different location.  So you should be able to use DDR2-6400, although its likely to run at the 533Mhz speed of 4200 or the 667Mhz speed of 5300, rather than its full speed of 800Mhz - timed to support the maximum speed of your motherboard.  This will probably not be noticible by you.  I do not recommend mixing DDR2 memory of different types though.  If you're doing a replace you're okay - if you're planning an upgrade I'd reconsider replacing all memory sticks instead.

I don't think PCI-Express (or AGP) cares what the video memory size is.  The memory is controlled by the GPU on these cards, not the CPU or northbridges.  I foresee no problems here assuming you've made the right selection in port size.  If its a PciE-16x video card (which it likely is), make sure your motherboard can handle 16x cards (which it likely does) and not just 1x (which some of the earliest PciE motherboards could only handle.)  Most motherboards also don't support dual video cards or Crossfire configurations either, so do research before you go down this path.

For this advice I expect you to post some new artwork for us :D

Ugenixdoujinwave

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • if you aint got haters you aint doin shit...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »
All DDR2 memory is supposed to be backwards compatible with other DDR2 sticks.  DDR2 cannot replace regular DDR though becuase the notch is in a purposely different location.  So you should be able to use DDR2-6400, although its likely to run at the 533Mhz speed of 4200 or the 667Mhz speed of 5300, rather than its full speed of 800Mhz - timed to support the maximum speed of your motherboard.  This will probably not be noticible by you.  I do not recommend mixing DDR2 memory of different types though.  If you're doing a replace you're okay - if you're planning an upgrade I'd reconsider replacing all memory sticks instead.

I don't think PCI-Express (or AGP) cares what the video memory size is.  The memory is controlled by the GPU on these cards, not the CPU or northbridges.  I foresee no problems here assuming you've made the right selection in port size.  If its a PciE-16x video card (which it likely is), make sure your motherboard can handle 16x cards (which it likely does) and not just 1x (which some of the earliest PciE motherboards could only handle.)  Most motherboards also don't support dual video cards or Crossfire configurations either, so do research before you go down this path.

For this advice I expect you to post some new artwork for us :D

haha!!! thanx.. yes u will get a Cala treat..

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:07:24 pm »
Cala in a bunny girl outfit would be sweet.  Never seen one of those.  And it's Year of the Rabbit and almost Easter, too.