Author Topic: Viper Games/SGS.DAT Tools  (Read 77382 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: Viper Games/SGS.DAT Tools
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 06:34:20 pm »
Some of the SGSs do that.  Guynarock for example has an extra byte in the middle of the file that serves no purpose (almost as if someone was adding up the indexes by hand and miscounted)
My unpack/repack program can fix that issue.

Viper fan

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 06:30:46 pm »
You can solve it if first you right click over the file and select "check graphic", then it becomes a sgs sogna dat file and you can view, preview or anything you want ;)

Anyone knows how to listen the PCM files? i used some programs but they play wrong

Thanks for this forum and the aplications, they are cool. Now i can use this in my projects (if i got time) XD
And sorry for my bad english :P

janusmaxwell

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 08:14:26 pm »
how does grapholic work?

I just put it on my comp to see the stuff from the Viper Typing game, and it's not working.

I thought I'd need to open the .DAT file, but a window pops up saying that's not supported by Grapho.

Rai

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-M1
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 08:44:30 pm »
Did you right click and select "change/check graphic"?

XheroX

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 01:24:07 am »
Sorry if im late on this but I wnated ot thank JG00 for the viper typing cheat.. its awsome, Cause I can,t beat it alone. But Does anyone have a problem when they click some of the bigger words and they dont work... (my only guess be is that it types to fast??)

well thats a problem I have, and it prevents me from beating cala.. maybe ill try again some other time. just curious if I wasnt alone on this??

Regardless I really appreciate it JG00 ^^
I Kill Bitchess for less....

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:24 am »
It even breaks on me sometimes. To help, all I can say is wait until the word is shown on screen and the counter counts down one digit before pressing the button.  Don't click another button until the clicking sound stops from the first.
Also, the program can't handle the dashs between compound words: you need to enter those manually so keep a finger on the minus key while running the cheating app with the mouse.

I can supply VB6 source code for anyone savvy enough to make further improvements (such as support for more levels, especially FINAL STAGE.)  I had long wanted to rip the text from the game and type it back automatically, requiring no user input whatsoever but that proved too difficult at the time.

Seitaridis

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 06:02:38 pm »
Yup, the ANM files are the images.  You should be able to extract them provided you have the plugins DecSognaANM.GHP and DecSognaDAT.GHP.  If you downloaded your copy of Grapholic from the Viper Animations thread you should have them already.

Say, do you have DecSognaANM.GHP and DecSognaDAT.GHP separately? The Viper Animations Tread's link of grapholic doesn't work anymore.

td854

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:15 am »
Trying to make some GIFs, i've made a few from RSR and F50 using grapholic to extract the files from the SGS.DAT but as i moved on to M5, grapholic just reports an error when i try to extract from the DAT. Can anyone give some advice on how to extract the ANM from the M5 DAT.

Also, i have yet to get the Unpack.exe to extract files that are actually readable by AnmEditor from any of the Vipers, they just appear as invalid files though the full list is there, but any successful extraction by Grapholic of the same files will work fine.

So basically, i need to know why Unpack.exe isn't extracting files from any Viper correctly, and why Grapholic is reporting an error midway through opening the SGS.DAT of M5.

-Thanks

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 11:08:42 pm »
Unpack.exe doesn't decompress the files, so it only works on uncompressed files (which is alot of them)  We've learned quite a bit about the SGS.DAT file, WIN, ANM and PCM files since I made that program, so it's not as useful as it used to be.  But it still comes in handy on things like Guynarock and M5.  If you Unpack and Repack the SGS, removing the ANM file(s) that Grapholic chokes on, you can make an SGS.DAT file usable in Grapholic.  The problem is, finding out which ANM file(s) it blows up on.

And this ain't easy.

We can kind of tell which files did work because as Grapholic extracts them they get written to your Temp folder as (probably C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp\Temp####\ - turn on hidden files and folders if you can't find it)
But when it reaches the problem file it aborts and wipes out that folder.  So we need to monitor the folder for changes and log them before it gets a chance to delete that folder.  I don't have anything on hand right now to do that but I can whip up a FileSystemListener app in the next few days if you haven't solved it by then.  If you've got Vista and can use the Shadow Copy function, it might do the trick.
Once we identify which file is at fault we can strip that one out of the manifest file and Repack.  Then it might work.  If it blows up again we just repeat the process.

td854

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:55 am »
yeah I was totally trying to grab that Temp folder before it got deleted c.c

s8905076

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:43 pm »
I got some problem for using Typing_cheat . I unpacked "typing_cheat.zip" & "typing_cheat_src.zip"
in the same folder with Viper Typing . I used the cheat program while i ran Viper Typing , but it's didn't
work . Some message occur "Viper Typing not running" , but typing program was running . I don't know
how to solve the problem . Can anyone help me ?

BTW , these tools are very useful , thanks for sharing .^^ 

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 08:45:05 am »
I got some problem for using Typing_cheat . I unpacked "typing_cheat.zip" & "typing_cheat_src.zip"
in the same folder with Viper Typing . I used the cheat program while i ran Viper Typing , but it's didn't
work . Some message occur "Viper Typing not running" , but typing program was running . I don't know
how to solve the problem . Can anyone help me ?

Are you running Vista?  I have not tried any of my software on that platform.
That message comes up when it can't locate the Viper Typing window (either by window class name or by title).  Vista might not name the window the same as earlier versions of Windows for some reason.
Or Vista might just be blowing up the whole window search thing anyway for security reasons, as the API call is borderline unsafe.  My use of it is safe but I can see how it can be misused to interfere with other apps that are running.

Another problem with those apps I discovered the other day: Yahoo recently redid the Babelfish transation engine that I utilize in TextExtractor.  They changed the url to babelfish.yahoo.com, modified the output file structure, and changed text encoding to utf-8 (which VB6 can not interpret on its own.)   I'll be fixing this stuff up a bit.

Rock

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 11:25:00 am »
Can anyone please provide a guide to how to use grapholic, to me its a very complex tool, I tried using the readme txt inside but I just cant manage to make them work I dont know what to put in those change T options, I have no clue regarding using all of this tools. If anyone is so kind to please put a guide would be awsome and really appreciated. Thanks.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 12:57:11 pm »
are you using the english version of grapholic??
BlackShadow

Rock

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:26 pm »
are you using the english version of grapholic??

Yeah, the same one on the first page

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 12:22:06 am »
What are you trying to do?  What files are you trying to open?
BlackShadow

gandalfrockman

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:55 pm »
This is probably a silly question; but has anyone found a way to repack the sgs.dat file in such way that it can be run by a viper game?

I only ask because Im looking at doing a machine translation project, and havent found a solid method for text insertion yet.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 07:05:33 pm »
I know JG made a program that'd repack Gunyarock's sgs.dat files.  No clue if the game could be run after that, but I think there's a good chance it would.

But in the case that you were adamant about having a translated version you could also try recreating the game with a visual novel software engine like Renpy or Visual Novelty.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »
See the first post in this thread for the Pack/Unpack utility.  This will unpack all the ANM, PCM, and WIN scripts used by VIPER games based on the SGS engine.  Text is in the WIN files, but some of them are compressed and or encoded in an unknown format.  Some of the later ones have the Japanese text in uncompressed Shift-JIS format.  You may want to look into 黒い灯影's many posts on VIPER-RSR WIN file editing: he's made more headway than anyone else in performing an actual in-game fan translation. (Speaking of which, he needs a good swift kick in the butt to get that going again.)

gandalfrockman

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 11:37:17 pm »
Thanks much for the info/advice. 
Yeah I tried the pack/ unpack stuff but most of the games crash if I try and run them with the repacked sgs.dat.
Also some of the games have the text in the text.us/text.fr/text.jp/etc file instead of in the wins file.
Recreating the games in renpy or visual novelty is an intresting idea, but likely to wind up being more work than just creating a solid way to insert text into exsisting games.