Author Topic: Viper Games/SGS.DAT Tools  (Read 77385 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Viper Games/SGS.DAT Tools
« on: December 11, 2005, 08:29:32 pm »
A few of you have asked me to provide some of my custom tools for Viper game hacking and picture/text extraction.  This thread will only contain links to useful Viper game tools, and questions/comments about them.  Please keep images and other stuff in the other threads.  Technophobes can stop reading this thread now.

I offer no support or warranty on these. If they don't work, sorry. I made them for myself, not for general consumption. You can trust me though, they won't do anything disasterous.

DecomposeSGS 107KB (ADDED, 10/18/2014)
The one tool that gives you anything you want out of SGS.DAT.  Images, sounds, voice, decompiled code, game text: you name it.  And built-in converters to turn them into standard formats like PNG and WAV.  Also supports SGS compression so it won't choke on compressed files.

Convert EAV to AVI 6KB (ADDED, 10/30/2014)
Converts EAV format movie files used by the Gokuraku VIPER Paradice series to standard AVI format.  Replaces the old mvconv program (that wasn't written by me), since it stopped working in Windows 7.  Note that you may have to run in Administrator mode if you want to convert the movie files installed to the default directory under C:\Program Files\Sogna.

Sogna ANM Editor 28KB (ADDED, 12/8/2007)
Better than Grapholic for managing single ANM files.  Can't do a whole .DAT file in batch but can import new frames, change the order or remove frames, edit palette, export to new ANM files or export frames to BMP, GIF, JPG, or PNG (maintaining transparency for GIF and PNG formats).  Going mad building animated GIFs becuase you're always dealing with blue backgrounds and having to move overlays to the proper location?  This tool is for you.

SGS Unpack/Repack 15KB (VB6 source 9KB)
* These two programs will split or rejoin SGS.DAT files into thier component .ANM, .PCM, .WIN files, etc.  A manifest file is created with the unpack program that can be modified prior to running the repack program, thus creating a new SGS.DAT file.  Keep in mind that modified SGS.DAT files will NOT run properly in any Viper program, so you can't take V16 .ANM files and drop them into GTB and expect to make extended Akira scenes.  These tools are only meant to work with individual game files (in the event anyone ever figures out how to decompress them) or to build specialized SGS.DAT files that don't crash during Grapholic's extract process. (In most cases, you'd be better off with DecomposeSGS above.)

Viper Typing Stage 6 Cheater 8KB (VB6 source 6KB)
* This program will simulate the keypresses needed to get by the practially impossible Stage 6 in Viper Typing. Run it alongside Typing, and press the buttons that correspond to the text on screen and the proper keypresses will be sent to the Viper Typing program.  Does not handle dashes, so keep one of your fingers on the minus key.  There are seperate tabs for the monster levels and for the Cala level.  The monsters may make up phrases containing 2 or 3 of the button phrases.  Cala's level will only require 1 button press.  You still need to be lightning fast about which button you click, but its much more tolerable that trying to type all that garbage by yourself, especially when you get to Cala and need to type romanji RPG attack phrases at 100 words per minute.

TextExtractor (Sogna Pack) 2.4MB (ADDED, 4/26/2008)
Extract the japanese text from Sogna games while they run. Alternative to Oh Text Hooker (see last post on this page.)  Uses a different method to grab text - gets an image of the text area displayed on screen, breaks it up into a grid and compares the content of the grid to a database to determine the character.  Supports logging text output to files.  Includes a built in web-based translator function for fully automated, albeit poor quality, translations.  Supports most Windows-based Sogna games and some PC98 games via the Anex86 emulator with standard font bitmap.

And in case anyone missed them,
Grapholic - English version 3.47 MB
Viper Paradice/Lanjerie Movie Converter 8KB (This does not work in Windows 7, see Convert EAV to AVI above)
SGS PCM Extractor 1.1 127KB (ADDED, 7/25/2007)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:20:54 pm by JG »

Sesshoumaru

• Casual VIPER Fan
Re: Viper Games/SGS.DAT Tools
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:53:03 pm »
Thank You So Much For The Programs Got a Questin For You How Do I Know If A File Is Bad Or Not Like What You Said With Viper M5
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 06:34:00 pm by Sesshoumaru »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:56:09 pm »
Grapholic will stop processing at the first bad .ANM file.  At least, the version I had did. It woudl only extract a couple of dozen files for me, when I knew there had to be many more.

Sesshoumaru

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:04:17 pm »
ya see the viper m5 i got when i try to use grapholic it doesnt even load any just goes right to the error

Sesshoumaru

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 11:22:32 pm »
Hey JG00 i got good news for ya i saved a bunch of money on my car insurace by swithing to geico but really i found a program that lets u extract from Viper M3 its here http://www.cgdreamland.com/ just search for Viper M3
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:05:46 am by Sesshoumaru »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
A most excellent utility! Rips both the artwork and all the other stuff, too.
The file numering seems to indicate it skips every 2 out of 3 frames though on alot of the animations in the mov folder.  If anyone can figure out if this is normal or how to make it output every frame, please post that information in this thread.

Sesshoumaru

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:14:05 pm »
Don't worry its normal what it is is the program added the trans pictures and backround automatically so thats why some frames are missing

Bluelyth

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:03:22 pm »
Thats a very nice tool, thanks alot for sharing it.

One question tho, did anyone else get any distortions on the frames, like mis-aligned mouths? I got that on a good number of the images -_-

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 10:30:50 pm »
Give me some examples Bluelyth. I don't want to go looking at every one trying to find misaligned mouths :-P

Sesshoumaru

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:38:40 pm »
Sry but all my images came out fine i don't no what happened with yours

Bluelyth

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 11:29:36 pm »
Its ok, its probably cuz my computer hasn't been shut off in the past month =p Something could have happened to my ISO's also.  Aslong as I know its not the tool, it narrows down the problem. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 09:47:13 pm »
I'm now taking offers to help script the Viper games with my side-by-side game text extraction tool. All SGS games are up for grabs.  I can get the text out of GT1 and the Islands games through other means (the shift-jis text is wide open in the .dxr files) Can't promise anything on M3 yet.
So far I have V6, V8, V10, V12, GTS, and CTR rules finished. BTR (through Anex86) and M1 (which uses a 20 pixel tall font instead of 18) have been started, but the rules havent been finished.  Guynarock, V16, F40, F50, M5, GTB, and RSR havent been started but will be ready by the time I'm ready to release this to scripters.  Please send me a private message on which games you're interested in scripting, and I'll work out a plan of attack for this project.

If you know how to use Window's REGEDIT tool, that's a plus.  It'll certainly help extract save file information in case theres a rules problem later in the games than which I tested.

12/30 Update: Support for M1, F40, and F50 added. Had to pause for a while at F40 in order to support another new font set, since F40 uses a smaller font. I now have fonts for the common 18x18, the 20x20 used in M1, and the 16x16 used in F40. I'm aware that Typing uses yet another font, but I hope that's it.

1/1 Update: Support for V16, GTB, RSR, M5, and Typing added.  That should be it for the SGS games.  I'll take a peek at M3 to see how difficult it'll be to implement, as a side-by-side translation as I'm playing would help write a FAQ/walktrhough, but since we've got that M3 parser tool, it's not absolutely required.  So the only real work left are the PC98 games emulated through Anex86.  I've got access to BTR, Animahjong X, and the two Reserve games - so, five to go.

Oh, and I guess I should point out that you need Windows 2000 or XP to help out.  9x versions dont have the neccesary Unicode support to make this program work without alot of backwards programming tricks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:39:55 pm by JG00 »

Echelon

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 02:39:24 pm »
So I'm a little behind ... what does Grapholic actually do?

I'll probably have my hands on basically all of the Viper games soon, thanks to hentaimegaworld
(I got GTB today)

And the Lanjerie games are huge. o_O

Bluelyth

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 04:37:57 pm »
Grapholic extracts all the images from the dat files in many hentai games as bmps. Bmps are put in order to form the animated gifs we all know and love.

evilshadow

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 09:52:19 pm »
JG00 asked for this in my thread, so here it is:

Oh! Text Hooker ver 1.0

The latest version is 1.0, which was made in 2004...so it's pretty outdated. Plus, it needs a patch from the Hongfire forums for it to function properly. It's pretty primitive, though.

The patch can be found in the main site:

Oh! Text Hooker official homepage
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 10:17:41 pm by evilshadow »

Cypher666

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 06:18:56 am »
Hey guys...

I have just unpacked 2 Viper games and i came up with a big bunch of PCM files...
But how can i convert these into images? : O

Garpholic does not seem to able to do it.

thx ^^

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 06:33:50 am »
PCM files are sound files, so they can't be converted into images.

Cypher666

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 06:47:12 am »
ow.. that explains alot XD
aww.. offcourse, i should have known, it stands for the PCM audio codec
gosh that was stupid ._.

anyhoe... how can i rip the images then? : O
the files in the ANM folder should be the images right, graphicthingie does not suppert them files or something

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 07:30:14 am »
Yup, the ANM files are the images.  You should be able to extract them provided you have the plugins DecSognaANM.GHP and DecSognaDAT.GHP.  If you downloaded your copy of Grapholic from the Viper Animations thread you should have them already.

Cypher666

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 08:18:19 am »
thx for the help ^^''

But when I try to convert i still get the message:

"non supported format""

what to do? ;_;