Author Topic: I need help with the viper text extactor tool  (Read 9488 times)

mikey89

• Casual VIPER Fan
I need help with the viper text extactor tool
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »
im trying to translate a viper game but have no idea how to or where to start. could anybody help me.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: I need help with the viper text extactor tool
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:03:13 am »
You could start with the script.

What is this magical viper text extactor tool that you're talking about?

First I've heard of an extactor tool.

I mean, I got up early and came to the meeting on time and asked about possible extactor tools for text but no one there seemed to know what I was talking about.  And all of the refreshments were gone.  In the rain. :(

mikey89

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:20:16 am »
well that sucks with the refreshment and the rain. Well here what ive got and  have no idea how to use it to translate text? what is the best way to translate the text?

TextExtractor (Sogna Pack) 2.4MB (ADDED, 4/26/2008)
Extract the japanese text from Sogna games while they run. Alternative to Oh Text Hooker (see last post on this page.)  Uses a different method to grab text - gets an image of the text area displayed on screen, breaks it up into a grid and compares the content of the grid to a database to determine the character.  Supports logging text output to files.  Includes a built in web-based translator function for fully automated, albeit poor quality, translations.  Supports most Windows-based Sogna games and some PC98 games via the Anex86 emulator with standard font bitmap.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
Uhm, yeah. The translate function broke.  Looks like Yahoo redesigned Babelfish since the last time I used this.  They changed around the page format to better fit the Yahoo style and made the page output UTF-8.  So I've had to bugfix it.  (At some point I'd also prefer to switch over ot the now more accurate Google Translate, but that's more work than I wish to tackle right now.)

See if this updated version works better for you.  Keep in mind most translations are very poor - you can follow the general context but you'll miss the details.

if you're looking to translate a game, you'd be better off extracting the text into a file (via the log function of the program), and then translating it manually (or cutting and pasting into Google Translate, which does quite a bit better job but isn't perfect.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:43:10 pm by JG00 »

mikey89

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:19 am »
oh ok thx for the help. It seems like someone would have invented something by now to translate games like this?

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:17:03 pm »
It's moreso like, since every game engine is different, different games need different kind of tools for translation work.

Sometimes you get lucky and find a series of games by the same company that use the same engine, or tools that work just with text like Oh Text Hooker.

Most of the other times it's the arduous process of finding a way to extract from the script from the game, translate it, and insert it back into the game.  I'm not speaking from experience translating, moreso from experience extracting data files from several different game types.

JGames

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:22:30 am »
Lucky you mikey, I can't even get the raw text to show up. Just get ??????? for some reason.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:20 am »
Very basic question on my part, but do you have Japanese fonts installed and have Japanese set as the default language for non-unicode programs?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:54:21 pm »
Yes, you need to have the Asian languages installed and configured as Hyperguy stated.

mikey89

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:54 am »
No i don't have Japanese downloaded. im not really sure if it the default language. how do i have Asian languages installed?