Author Topic: Bang Doll's last new thread today, he promises  (Read 6210 times)

MMX

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Bang the doll slowly.
Bang Doll's last new thread today, he promises
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:00:17 pm »
What would you do

Say you have decided you're going to stop working full-time because you're in a dead end job and you don't have the skillsets you need to change your occupation/work environment.

You have two choices:

Go to the graduate school that would give you full tuition remission and thus save you assloads of money but you honestly don't think its programs interest you or would offer you very much for your future

or

Find some other program and you're pretty sure you wouldn't be able to receive any kind of remission or scholarship to attend but at least might have more interesting/better classes/programs for you to attend

As a corollary, how exactly does one "research" schools?  I've been trying to figure this out since high school.  Everybody's always like "oh school XX is good but I hear their program YY isn't even the top 2356 of the nation" and I'm like wtf... okay first of all... where did you hear that?  Second of all, do you really trust that statistic that some Joe Schmoe pulled out of his ass?  I mean have you even gone to the campus?  Have you spoken to the faculty?  Do you really believe that program YY is full of shit?  How can you compare similar programs at different schools unless you pretty much go and audit them in person... interview their staff and faculty... print out sheets of syllabi and course plans and... do something... I dunno, are there resources that specialize in this besides some lame newspaper's website that just goes about listing the top 100 schools in X diploma or whatever?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Super Mario Wonder
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: Bang Doll's last new thread today, he promises
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:18:29 pm »
Find someone who went there and ask them about it.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »
hey can i move these two new threads back onto the main board I put them here by accident because I was lurking here and decided to create new threads kty?

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:42:14 pm »
Usually the high school counselor's office has material on this.  However, there is almost no garuntee that it is up to date much less useful for graduate school.  Most university departments have this sort of information about grad schools.  One could go ask the professors of a particular department who they think the top schools are in their feild but that can be pretty biased.  My general feeling is that if you go to a R1 school (this means a top research university which most large state universities or large private universities are) you will get a pretty good graduate education regardless of the field, although there will be some spread.  It also really depends on what you want to learn/get out of it.   A smaller college may have a perfectly good Masters program in the field you are interested in even if they aren't as well known.

黒い灯影

• Mr. Monkey in the moon
  • Forum Administrator
  • Unleashing the monkey inside!!
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
    • Now Playing:
      ・Viper RSR
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »
Bangdoll's thread is brought to you by sucky cigarettes.
BlackShadow

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »
I bought my older brother a box of retro 80's candies.  Most of them sucked but there were indeed those old fake cigarettes that are actually bubble gum or whatever.

And had some Now and Laters.  I remembered Now and Laters.  When I was a kid I had no idea that they actually spelled out "Now and Later" because I was too much of a lazy dyslexic to actually read the packaging.  I thought they were spelled weird like "Nauenladers" or... whatever.

Bang Doll was a blissfully moronic child, he was.

Mirai Doft

• Hero
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • *¬*
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »
I thought they were spelled weird like "Nauenladers" or... whatever.

Bang Doll

You make my days better :3
I like big bOObs and I can not lie!

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »
That makes one of us.  They never tell you how tasty the paint chips are, at least not until you've already sampled their divine succor.  And then it's already too late.

Bitten by the hand that feeds.

C'est la cuvette.