Author Topic: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)  (Read 209286 times)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
Re: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »
You ever played Beyond Good & Evil JGOO, or any other game resembling Zelda?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2014, 07:53:32 am »
Yep.  Beyond Good and Evil was very good.

StarFox Adventures is of similar mold, but not all that good.

Assassin's Creed somewhat fits in that style, but is more attack/escape/stealth oriented and much less puzzle-solving.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:20 am »
BG&E was the most fun i had in a Zelda game since Ocarina. Shame it was kinda short and bombed spectacularly.

I've thought about playing SFA, but then i remember how much i hate DK64 and Rare's late obsession with collectathons. Did you ever beat that game, JGOO? That game and FF8 made me swore off 100% completion for every game i played. Now i just go for the ones i really enjoy.

I have yet to touch an AC. With so many sequels, i don't really feel the urge to play them.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:07 am »
I didn't think BG&E was short.  I recall it being as long or longer than Ocarina of Time.

I don't recall SFA having much in the way of collectibles, but its been about 10 years since last played.  I did beat it; it's not very hard.  It's mostly just annoying babysitting the kid dinosaur while you roam the world and fight baddies.  He's like a more annoying Navi.

AC4 (the one with the pirates) really is spectacular.  I wasn't all that enthused by what I saw from the first two games set in medieval Levant.  My interest peaked a little bit with AC3 set in the Revolutionary War.  I jumped on AC4 when Best Buy put it on their daily deal at $15 several months ago, especailly since the market for games has sucked this year.  Loved it.  I hope AC3 will show up on Gamestop or someone else's cheapo games list this Black Friday. (AC4 might as well.)  Last I saw, AC3 for Wii U is in Best Buy's bargain bin at $12.99 but not the Xbox360 version (which I'd prefer)

I dont go for 100% completion unless its a reasonably attainable goal (such as the journal in Bravely Default, or the badge sets in Hyrule Warriors)

Agreed that Ubisoft pushes out AC titles too quickly.  But they've settled on an 18 month release schedule between titles, so part 6 is undoubtedly well underway now that #5 (French Revolution) is on the horizon.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2014, 02:03:29 am »
Granted it's been many years since i touched BG&E, but the game is much shorter than Ocarina. Played through the game twice.

Which Wii U title are you most looking forward to playing in 2015? That last direct had me salivating in the mouth. My vote's for Splatoon.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2014, 08:16:25 am »
Which Wii U title are you most looking forward to playing in 2015?

The new Legend of Zelda of course.

Unless it's delayed to 2016, in which case it'll probably fall to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Regarding other big 2015 releases, I am less enthused about Halo 5, since it seems to be going to a multiplayer, team-based campaign game (ala Call of Duty) rather than the single player Master Chief-focused campaigns from the first four.

Granted it's been many years since i touched BG&E, but the game is much shorter than Ocarina.

Is BG&E beatable in one sitting?  My brother once bet me I couldn't go end to end in OoT in one day without dying or turning the game off and I proved him wrong.  Probably my greatest video game feat.  (But he still has the ultimate one-up by once beating Contra solo without dying a single time, which is extremely impressive.)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2014, 03:18:35 am »
Did your brother play the XBLA Contra? I know that game had the don't die achievement.

Off course BG&E is beatable in a day, not that i've ever tried. Technically it is possible to beat Ocarina in under 30 mins thanks to a newly discovered glitch.

What's your opinion on Majora's Mask? Seems to be the darling of the series for a lot of fans, but i remember being quite underwhelmed at the time.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:56 am »
Did your brother play the XBLA Contra? I know that game had the don't die achievement.

What's your opinion on Majora's Mask? Seems to be the darling of the series for a lot of fans, but i remember being quite underwhelmed at the time.

NES Contra.  XBLA is the arcade version.  I have no idea which is the more difficult to complete without dying (probably NES, if there's even the existance of a don't die achievement in Xbox)

Majora's Mask has its moments, but I dot think anybody would really consider it the drarling of the series.  Maybe most underrated, but nowhere near best overall (should be clearly behind LttP, OoT, WW, and SS).  The N64 version required that extra memory pack, so alot of people passed on it, especially as things like Playstation appeared and started to dominate.  And it is much more difficult than OoT, becuase you have only 50 minutes or so to complete a task before the world resets.  Link keeps whatever he's got (masks, songs, etc.) but the rest of the world reverts, which means you sometimes have to beat the area boss again to complete the tasks in an area, so it can become a little tedious if you're trying to get heart pieces from difficult tasks like the Goron Race or Milk Delivery.  So it's less of the linear adventure than most Zelda games are.  And Termina seems very small compared to OoT's Hyrule.  But you get to wear different suits and act as Deku Link, Zora link, or Goron Link - something I wish they would bring back in one form or another in the future.

It's coming to 3DS in a few months.  Zelda fans ought to get it if they passed on the N64 version (or failed to acquire a GameCube Collector's Edition disc).  Unless you hate Tingle, becuase this is the game that introduced him.

By the way, I now own an Xbox One.  Was too tough to pass up Best Buy's one day deal on Saturday.  Prices just dropped $50, came with AC5 download code, Best Buy was throwing in a full year of Live for free (which I needed to buy this month anyway), and I had $10 in rewards zone certificates and a 10% off single item coupon about to expire.  Plus I wanted a 3D-capable BluRay player as I intend to buy a new TV in the next few weeks to replace my 11 year old 1080i/720p model.  Going to get a top-of-the-line or near-top-of-the-line 4K 3D-capable model to take me through the next 10 years of gaming advances.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:32:18 am by JG »

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2014, 08:43:41 pm »
Are there any games you're dying to play now on the XB1? I'm really interested in playing D4, and i guess Halo, but that game's riddled with bugs i hear.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:13 am »
Unity is only one now.  And Halo 5 whenever it comes along.

Might be interested in Titanfall, Shadows or Mordor, or Halo Collection, when they drop to bargain prices, but don't consider them must-haves.

Disappointed at how slow Unity is progressing.  Black Flag got going right away and really grabs hold of you and won't let go.  Unity is so dull and slow in comparison.  Too many people on the streets so you can't free run there, and buildings are not consistent in height so you can't run across rooftops either.  Too much climbing up and down makes the story go even slower.  Buildings placed so closed together and so tall that you become disoriented and have to look at the map too often to figure out which direction you need to go.  Everything feels cramped.  Highly detailed, yes, but too restrictive.  Only played about 4-5 hours so far, and while the side quests are neat, I have yet to consider this "a fun game" yet.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2014, 02:04:21 am »
I'm surprised you didn't pick up Sunset Overdrive. That's probably the most Nintendo-like game on the system. Got decent reviews too.

Smash Wii U is sooooo good. The game feels really balanced from a casual perspective; no duds like Melee Bowser anymore. Only wish there were group lobbies like in Mario Kart 8, but supposedly that's coming in a future update.

Captain Toad's out next week. No interest in that, JGOO? I'll probably get it sometime next month.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »
Haven't seen Sunset Overrdrive for sale anywhere for Black Friday or might have got it.

I still maintain that Captain Toad should have been a 3DS game.  Not sure its right for the TV-based platform.  Probably will pass until it hits the bargain bin (which I expect to be faster than most first party games)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »
Captain Toad is already discounted at $40.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #253 on: December 09, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »
Anybody hyped by any of the games shown last weekend?

It's nice to see Street Fighter return to form with graphics that don't burn my eyes.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »
You finished Bravely Default JGOO?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #255 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:43 am »
I have not.  My gaming time has been seriously curtailed the last few months.

I really want to finish it though.  I got up to chapter 7 in spring, then got waylaid at work for several months, started the game over from scratch and got up to chapter 8 by October, and now I've been stuck again.  Not going to start over this time though.

When I have got time to play lately, it's usually to be Hyrule Warriors.  Adventure Mode is oodles of fun and ties in so well with the original NES Zelda map. I even purchased the DLC pack to start playing through the Master Quest adventure mode map (and later on, the Twilight and Majora's Mask maps)

AC Unity is just about dead to me.  It's extremely boring, just task after task of going to some location and stealing some item or killing somebody and hoping the game doesn't crash along the way and make you start over. No sense of adventure, humor, or fun like there was with Black Flag.  (I've heard AC Rogue is getting the better player reviews becuase its based on an engine that works [Black Flag engine] and has the high seas adventure more fitting of a direct sequel to Black Flag.)  Also, Shadow of Mordor arrived last week following Black Friday sales and is likely to supplant Unity during Xbox time.  Don't think I've been so disappointed in a game that came with such high fanfare since the Sonic the Hedgehog relaunch in 2006.  That is bad company for AC Unity to be associated with.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
Ubisoft seems to be stumbling over its own feet lately, and it seems it has had an affect on both their sales and stock. They'll return to form soon enough though.

You ever finished Batman?

Gave up Smash U after a week. Game needs a community lobby like Mario Kart 8. Having to enter friend codes again... yeah, i'm not going to do that. Great game otherwise. When it gets cheap i'll consider picking it up again.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:49 am »
No I stopped playing Batman when Bravely Default came out.  Plus I was getting frustrated by the Bane fight, it had proven to be very repetitive for a few days before then, and too many of the Riddler's riddles are absurdly vague or even when you know the answer they require just the right standing position and camera angle to clear.  Not worthy of any game of the year accolades in my opinion.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »
I've only touched the first hour of Arkham City, but from what i can tell, that series has the most brain-dead combat i''ve experienced in a modern beat 'em up. Great production values though.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #259 on: December 25, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
Yeah Batman is kinda dull fighting.  Attack, parry, and occasionally throw in a batarang or cape whip stun.  Shadow of Mordor is made by the same group, so its extremely similar gameplay.  Somewhat better though since the combos are easier to pull off and it gives a few bonus moves to pull off executions and kill the orcs easier.  (Shadow of Mordor is a hybrid of Batman: Arkham games and Assassin's Creed. Basically Batman's gang fighting mixed with AC's freerunning and assassination moves, with a bow to replace the batarang/firearms for long range.)