Author Topic: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)  (Read 209309 times)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
Re: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:55 am »
Played Skyward Sword for about an hour and got the practice sword.

The motion-controlled sword swinging feels especially good. All i wanted out of Twilight Princess back in 2006.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2013, 12:56:50 am »
TP was lazy sword control. Any swing of the Wii remote caused a slash. Red Steel did it better, and Skyward Sword took its cues from that.

I still kind of miss the combos from Wind Waker though.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:02 pm »
What are your thoughts on the Wii U, JGOO?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:01 am »
1. Still waiting on some good games.  New SMB U isn't different enough from New SMB Wii to really be all that exciting, and nothing else in the selection excites me.  Nintendo Land is nice if you like Mario Party games, but I don't.  Wii U badly needs some other first party franchises.  Pikmin 3 is coming, but that's really not enough.  I still think a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising would be nice.  A Zelda is at least three to four years off (3DS title is needed first), DK is hitting 3DS right now so its not coming to U anytime soon, and Metroid is back in the vault for a few years.  Maybe its time to give Star Fox another go, especially with U's improved netplay and split screening so multiple players can play at once instead of it being a one-player-only game.  Or a *good* Mario Kart (more like Double Dash, and much less like Wii); F-Zero might fit the bill for a racing game if done properly (more like F-Zero 64 and less like F-Zero GX)

2. Same slow network card and/or poor reception antenna as the Wii.  It takes over an hour for system updates to occur. But the Xbox sitting right beside the U can download updates in just a minute or two.

3. Doesn't allow alteration of screen aspect.  I have to pipe the HDMI through a selector that appears to trim a little off the sides and bottom.  Ths I can see more of the edges on the gamepad that I can see on the screen.  Being able to adjust this either in the system settings or in games would be nice.

4. Power-off isn't power off.  Just like the Wii it goes into a hibernation state instead of turning completely off.  The big problem is that this mode will still send a signal though the HDMI about 10 seconds after powering down, which throws my HDMI autoselector back to the Wii U input (which is black screen) and then I have to manually change it back to TV input.  Happens about 50% of the time.  This likely wouldn't be a problem if Wii U had an HDMI input for the TV line, like the Xbox One is going to have.

5. Becuase of above problem, Wii U TV Mode only works if your TV has more than one HDMI input, or your TV line uses something other than HDMI.  My TV only has one HDMI port, and both the cablebox and Wii U want it, hence why I need an autoselector and why Wii U TV Mode doesn't work for me.  Again, HDMI input like Xbox One will have solved this problem.

So unless there's a game you really want for it, my current recommendation for Wii U is to wait. Alot of retailers are starting to give $25 gift cards with purchase; before long it'll become $50 or they'll start packing in another game with it (likely SMB U or Arkham City.)  When that happens, that's when you should get it.  Probably get a great deal on a Wii U at Black Friday (since PS4 and Xbox One will be out by then) and the game situation should be much improved.*

*Note that this is a problem suffered by almost all new systems. Nintendo usually always has a Mario game ready, and Microsoft lucked out with the original Halo, but GameCube suffered for a while, as did PS3 until enough games came along to offset what the competition could offer. I actually think Xbox One will suffer early next year with lack of a Halo or Gears of War game.  They've apparently gone all-in on Call of Duty: Ghosts, but PS4 gets it too.  PS4 looks to have the more solid launch lineup, which is high praise from me since I don't own a PS3 (God of War, Drake Trilogy, and umpteen Metal Gear sequels haven't been enough to convince me to ever buy one.)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »
I'm quite sick of the NSMB games, and i haven't even played one! I eagerly anticipate the next console Mario at E3 however.

Zombi U is flippin' amazing if you're into survival horror (not action horror). Pretty much the best game on the system for me thus far.

Kinda pissed i'm hearing about a Premium White coming. I feel like a sucker for buying the soon-to-be obselete standard.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »
I'm quite sick of the NSMB games, and i haven't even played one!

Best: New SMB Wii (very good solo or multiplayer)
Next Best: New SMB (good but some stages too frustrating to top Wii version)
Next Best: New SMB U (probably best multiplayer though but solo is rather bland)
Worst: New SMB 2 (the whole coin collecting focus ruins it)

Don't know if Super Luigi U will fit above or below New SMB U.  Apparently its the same game, but with Luigi as the lead and changes to each stage to be somehow "different" or more challenging.

Personally liked Super Mario 3D Land more than any of the New SMB games.

Zombi U is flippin' amazing if you're into survival horror (not action horror).

I'm not.  I have heard its good though, so if it shows up as one of those $10 Black Friday specials I'll jump on it.

Kinda pissed i'm hearing about a Premium White coming. I feel like a sucker for buying the soon-to-be obselete standard.

I thought that was Japan only.  I'm not sure how much more they'd throw in for a Premium model - 64GB flash memory perhaps?  Frankly I see that as diminishing returns, becuase you can just use USB sticks if you want more storage (ie, 4GB Xbox 360 much better value than the 250GB model unless you download a huge amount of content, since its limited to 32GB via USB.)  I think the 32GB of flash in the Wii U Deluxe is more than adequate, plus all the extra goodies they throw in like the powered docking stand.  Unless they added another game or a Wii RemotePlus I wouldn't justify the extra cost of Premium over Deluxe.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:08 am »
Pretty much only interested in the 3D Marios, including 3D Mario Land if i ever get an XL. Here's hoping for some new 3DSXL colors at E3.

Woops. By Premium White, i meant a Deluxe White SKU to replace the Standard.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:22 am »
I'm sure we'll see new 3DS colors this year. Its long been rumored that Super Mario 3D Land will become a pack-in game, likely with a Flame Red model.  Might also see some special editions for Pokemon X and Y.

As far as other Nintendo E3 news goes:

YES! = Super Mario 3D World. Cat Mario that climbs walls and always lands on its feet = Winner.

Doubly YES! = Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Love this series.  Better if it weren't overshadowed by all the other Mario games that have come out recently (New SMB U, Super Luigi U, Mario Kart 8, etc.)

YES! (but want to see more) = Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Two Worlds. Paper Mario meets Link to the Past?

Meh = Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze. That's two DKC games in the same year. Only Mario ever gets such nice treatment from Nintendo.

Second Meh = Wind Waker HD arrives with a Master Quest option or fail.

Bummer: Smash Bros U and Mario Kart 8 delayed to 2014. On bright side, Mega Man as playable character in Smash Bros is very intriguing - could mean Capcom & Nintendo team up to make Smash Bros vs Street Fighter some day.

MIA = No Kid Icarus, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, or Kirby properties announced.  Not counting the long-overdue Pikmin 3, all the eggs seem to be going into Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Donkey Kong baskets these days.

Dammit = Don't know why my local Best Buy doesn't get a preview kiosk.  Bigger town than most of those on the list.

And for non-Nintendo news:

1-upped: PS4 looks to have the choke hold on Xbox One.  Cheaper machine, appeared to show off better graphics capabilities by having multiple different games to preview, and not tripping over its own feet with the resell or daily verification plans.  MS needs to change or clarify positions or risk running third place well into 2014 (or fourth if Ooya does well)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »
The whole Nintendo lineup, including the preview of Monolithsoft's new Xeno series entry.  (Flying + transforming) x mecha + RPG = exciting.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2013, 04:35:32 am »
Microsoft: Crimson Dragon, KI3, D4... Oh man, these three games alone make me want a Xbone. Well, almost; Microsoft's blatant greed (flooding the 360 dashboard with ads, paid avatar jank, zero free games with Gold membership, paywall to use Netflix, etc.) over the course of this generation is about to become even more suffocating.

Nintendo: Did absolutely the bare minimum. All your old favorites but now in HD! Admittedly not bad when you consider Nintendo's ho-hum press conferences from previous years (that largely pandered to non-core gamers). Retro's secret game being another DKC follow up was hugely disappointing.

Sony: Made all the right moves by emulating Microsoft's old battle strategy: creating a consumer and developer-friendly environment while slapping together the most uber spec console possible. A definite buy for me in the near future.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »
Microsoft's blatant greed (flooding the 360 dashboard with ads, paid avatar jank, zero free games with Gold membership, paywall to use Netflix, etc.) over the course of this generation is about to become even more suffocating.

Sadly, yes. Microsoft is focusing so much on the non-game aspect that the game aspect is being seriously threathened.

Nintendo: Retro's secret game being another DKC follow up was hugely disappointing.

Sadly, yes.  And a 2D side scroller no less.  Had enough of those with the other DKCs and New SMB games lately.  A true 3D DK might have worked, but this just looks like more of the same.

Sony: Made all the right moves by emulating Microsoft's old battle strategy: creating a consumer and developer-friendly environment while slapping together the most uber spec console possible.

Sadly, yes.  Not being especially innovative, but playing it safe seems to make them happy.  At least they learned their lesson about initial price points. (Should have taken cue from Sega Saturn that a $600 PS3 would be a problem. Also lucked out that BluRay won the format war over the technically superior, and cheaper, HD-DVD.)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2013, 01:29:31 am »
Still in the XB1 bandwagon JGOO or will you be making the switch to PS4?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2013, 08:09:39 am »
Neither excites me at this point.  They're going to have to have a better launch title selection for me to even consider buying one at or near launch.  If Halo 5 was a launch title for Xbox One, I'd jump on it.  Since PS exclusive games are far less innovative than Nintendo or MS first party titles, I doubt there's any game that could get me to buy a PS4 at launch.

The only systems I've ever bought at or near launch were SNES (way back in the day) and first Wii (if you consider February to be near launch after it came out in November, but it was the first one I'd seen for sale in stores.)  I usually wait at least 9-12 months after release to pick up new systems, and not until there's a "killer app" game.  The exceptions were primarily due to the exceptional launch titles of Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Of the systems I bought new (not second hand) and weren't gifted to me as new (NES), these were the games to finally convince me to get one:
SNES: Super Mario World, packaged with system
GameGear: Sonic the Hedgehog (GG version) - my folks wouldn't let me get a Genesis, but let me get a GG
GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine, packaged with system
Game Boy Advance: Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Playstation 2: Dragon Quest VIII (by this time, the PS2 had been out for many years and was already on the slim model!)
Nintendo DS: Mario Kart DS (disappointing!), packaged with system
Xbox 360: no particular game, the only system I bought new on a whim on a huge $100 off Black Friday sale from Dell (but quickly discovered Halo 2, which in turn led to Halo 1)
Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo 3DS: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Xbox 360(S): no game, first one broke down in the middle of my Gears of War 3 campaign
Wii U: Super Mario Bros U (yes this game was a launch title, but I didn't get the system until an offer came along to reduce price)

Every other system (GameBoy Color, N64, Genesis/SegaCD/32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, TG16, NEO*GEO, and 3DO) I bought secondhand, either because I was cash-strapped in college or early career or never had an opportunity to buy them new in thier heyday.

FUN FACT: I am one of a terribly small number of long-time gamers that never owned a first model Xbox or first model Playstation (though I did buy a broken one for $5 and tried to repair it without success.)

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:00 am »
Does your 3DO still work?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:30 pm »
Probably.  I probably havent had it out in 8 or 9 years.

I got it for the only reason anyone should get a 3DO: Star Control II, one of the very finest games ever, and even after 20 years, still in my top ten games of all time for all systems.  It's that good.  It originally came on PC in the early 90s, but the original PC version only worked in true DOS, it stopped working right in Windows.  Plus the 3DO version had animated cutscenes, upgraded graphics and sound, and full voice.

Of course, one can now get the open source port and play it again on PC (or other devices), complete with all the 3DO upgrades and more stuff to take advntage of new PC thingies (like high screen resolutions.)  I usually play through it every other year or so.  Since its completely free, I can not recommend this game highly enough.  In fact, I'm surprised I've only ever mentioned this game once, and haven't yet dedicated an entire thread to it.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »
I remembered i tried to put Star Control II (port) on my Xbox1 years ago, but it had so many files that i always got an error when trying to transfer via USB 1.1 (painfully slow). Now that i have a laptop i can easily play the game on my TV without any hitches... one of these days :bigtran

Are you saying you never owned a PS1, JGOO? I can imagine just owning an N64 exclusively back then would of been very painful, unless you had a lot friends over for multi.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
Not if you had one of these.

I received one in late 1998 or early 1999 in exchange for taking the cd64comm.exe source code, fixing the egregious timeout bug in it, and wrapping it in a DOS based SVGA+mouse GUI for an arcade company in Brazil who was looking to make arcade cabinets based on the device.  I don't know if they ever got that far along with the idea, but the software I wrote for them worked just fine.

Also, at that point in my life I was in college, so I had enough other activities to keep me busy, and found enough games to play on the first generation or two of emulators (I remember the days before MAME came along).  I really did not miss not having a PS1.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:34 pm »
Watching the emulation scene grow back in the late 90s was truly a thing of beauty. Not until the mid new millenia did i start to enjoy playing the classics through a modded Xbox; i'm hesitant to play any game without the big screen experience, even point-n-click adventures.

I see you caved into the Pikmin hype, JGOO :karindance

Not surprising considering how barren the Wii U library is. I'm waiting until the eventual holiday price-drop to pick it up and getting Wonderful 101 instead.

Is the challenge mode in Pikmin 3 confined to cave exploration? I hated how there wasn't enough diversity in scenery in 2's challenge mode.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2013, 07:39:26 am »
Agreed.  Would much rather play on TV than on PC.

It's not an experience thing - I have a decent monitor and video card, and have one of the Xbox 360 controllers for Windows. I just find games made with a PC version as the priority as lackluster. Games designed specifically for a console are almost always of superior quality.

Caved in?  I've been a fan of Pikmin since 2001. :rattydance

Wii U library is improving by leaps and bounds over next 6 months.  I've got Super Luigi U, Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, and Smash Bros 4 on my watch list.  I don't have nuthin for Xbox.  (Not a GTA fan.)  And lets not forget Link Between Worlds for 3DS either.

I haven't tried Challenge mode yet.  I don't think its all cave exploration based on the pictures I've seen though.  Seems to use the same terrain as the normal levels (of which, sadly, there are only four.)  On the other hand the scenery is gorgeous - especially how well the water and snow look.  The good thing about challenge is its a Bingo mode, where you have to collect the right fruit to make a Bingo or fill your entire card, with enough tricks to swap pieces with an opponent or screw them over.  It's quite similar to the Gokuraku VIPER Paradice game mode.  Soon as I finish off the story mode this weekend I'll try out challenge mode and give you a better report.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 07:37:28 am »
Beat Pikmin 3.  Final boss wasn't the hardest but at least it requires 4 of the 5 Pikmin types to defeat.

Like the previous Pikmin games, its not particuarly hard and there's plenty of time to 100% clear it.  The new enemies are fantastic and there's great variety in them, most showing up less than 5 times.  The detail in scenery is spectacular, but sadly there's only 5 areas, one of which is dedicated to the final boss so there's only 4 truly explorable levels (tropical forest, backyard garden, snowy tundra, rainforest river.)  There's enough fun here for a week ro so, but the story mode replay value is nil since there's so much time available.  At least int he first Pikmin, hardly anyone beats the game fnding all the spaceship parts, so you could replay it to see how quickly you can collect them all.  There's a worldwide stats page shown at completion of the game, and 60% or so of the players are finishing it at 100% on first play, so... not very hard.

I couldn't try the Bingo battle mode.  Requires two active players and my Wiimote's batteries need recharging.  I was hoping for an AI second player.  I did try the single player Mission mode though, where you're given a fixed amount of time to clear simple stages (similar to but not the same as the four story mode levels.)  This is actually a pretty decent challenge, but as it doesn't advance the story in any way,  its a ho-hum add-on.  Would have been better if they mixed these levels in with the story mode as optional side-quests in some way.