Author Topic: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)  (Read 209278 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Re: It's a thread! (Games discussion, etc.)
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56:18 am »
Agreed.  They've completely revived this series in the same fashion they did with Metroid Prime a little over 10 years ago.  Shame the same can't be said for Punch Out or Donkey Kong.

In fact, I'd be astonished if a Kid Icarus game didn't come out for Wii U sometime next year or early 2014.  With a much improved multiplayer experience its got the basis to properly utilize online gaming in ways other Nintendo series can not, or have to be subverted to do so.  Nintendo needs to come out swiging hard to catch up to Xbox Live and PSN, and I'm not sure New Super Mario Bros U and Super Smash Bros U are going to be enough.  They need a game that can deliver both co-op and multiple competitve modes, and neither of those have got it. (Maybe they can with the Metroid series, but Kid Icarus is the hot commodity right now while I think Metroid has run its course for a while and needs to take a couple of years off or be relegated to secondary status on the 3DS for a game or two before coming back on the home system. I love Metroid but its gone three titles in a row on the home system and needs a break.)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
You're making all the wrong assumptions, JGOO. Punch Out and Donkey Kong's worldwide sales far exceeded Kid Icarus (not to say KI didn't sell well; it did great for a portable release). Nintendo doesn't usually milk IP unless its got Mario on it, so i don't expect another KI anytime soon.

Wii U's code name implies its going to be thematically a true social-networking game console. I say we'll all be pleasantly surprised come Tuesday.

It's been six years since Retro's last Metroid. I would like to see the company do something fresh with the IP that isn't another Prime game. I'll also settle for a Star Fox game from Retro :purplerupee

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 08:22:17 am »
You're making all the wrong assumptions, JGOO. Punch Out and Donkey Kong's worldwide sales far exceeded Kid Icarus (not to say KI didn't sell well; it did great for a portable release). Nintendo doesn't usually milk IP unless its got Mario on it, so i don't expect another KI anytime soon.

To my knowledge there wasn't a single nationwide commercial campaign for either Punch-Out or DKC Returns.  There was for KI: Uprising.  I think this shows Nintendo thought those two were average games at best while Kid Icarus was something that could be a hit.

At least,  it would be if the 3DS had been priced more reasonably over the Christmas holiday (when most kids get theirs).  There just aren't enough 3DS's out there to push Kid Icarus over the top.  All my cousin's kids and all my coworker's kids seem to have DSs, but they're usually the older models: Usually originals with a few DSi or DSi XLs.  I don't think any of them have a 3DS.  I get the impression that parents just don't think its worth it to upgrade to the newest platform, especially at a $250 price tag.  Might improve when its sub-$150 this Christmas, but by then Kid Icarus will be old hat. (On the other hand, KI is clearly targetted toward older players so maybe this is a moot point.)

It's been six years since Retro's last Metroid. I would like to see the company do something fresh with the IP that isn't another Prime game. I'll also settle for a Star Fox game from Retro :purplerupee

Five actually (Metroid Prime 3 was 2007), but they did do Donkey Kong Country Returns since then, so they've shown a pregressive slide in quality (Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 2 > Metroid Prime 3 > DKC Returns)

They also did Mario Kart 7, which looks reasonable and plays better than I expected when I tried in Target for a minute or two, but like Kid Icarus it's market is small so it won't gather attention or acclaim (and also, no nationwide commercial campign.)  Plus, Mario Kart has pretty much worn out its welcome after the difficult to play MK DS (5) and the rediculously unforgiving MK Wii (6).

And according to Wikipedia, Retro's Wii U title that they're working on is Star Fox Revolution.  I don't know what to think of this.  I want a good game but with the track record I'm worried they'll screw it up somehow.  On the other hand, surely they can't be as bad as Namco and Q-Games were at stewardship of the franchise.  Between Assault and Command the two of them damn near wrecked it and was only saved by how well Star Fox 64 transitioned to 3D.  (Actually Command wasn't that bad, but the tactical style gameplay wasn't what anyone expected, and in my mind didn't do enough to erase the absolute stink of Assault.)  Revolution better come out swinging and do some fantastic (and new) things, becuase Kid Icarus Uprising's sky battles are a far superior tunnel based shooter to anything we've ever seen from Star Fox, and may have stolen all its thunder.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:09 pm »
I'm still very much excited about the Wii U hardware, but Nintendo being coy with any actual news of future game development is hurting them.

Certainly didn't hamper the 3DS to hype up Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, yadda yadda well before the system's release.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
Wait, whut?

What are you talking about? They announced a crapton of games for launch - more than I recall for any other system being announced.  I'll concede that some of these may arrive a few months after launch, but is that really a problem?  Did you buy a Wii, Xbox360, or PS3 in the first 2 or 3 months of launch?  (PS3 maybe, but 360s were generally hard to find until after Christmas, and Wiis were exceptionally scarce for many months.)

Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Darksiders 2
Mass Effect 3
TANK! TANK! TANK!
Tekken Tag Tournment 2
Trine 2: Director’s Cut
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
Aliens Colonial Marines
Wii Fit U
Sing!
LEGO City: Undercover
Just Dance 4
ZombiU
The Avengers: Battle for Earth
Assassin’s Creed III
Rayman Legends
Rabbids Land
YourShape: Fitness Evolved 2013

If Nintendo is serious that Wii U won't suffer the supply problems that Wii had, then they've learned a lesson from the DSi and 3DS launchs of the past couple of years, where hardware was plentiful but games were few and weak and sales started off very slow as a consequence (and remain so for 3DS)

Now "coy" is pumping up titles that we won't see until 2013. I wish they'd move E3 to about February so everything on the table games-wise comes out by holiday season, instead of all this BS that Microsoft and Sony partners were showing slated for release next year.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 01:48:40 am »
Welp. Guess i'll be putting up my 3DS for sale. You gonna do the same, JGOO?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 07:07:12 am »
Why?  And no, I'm still enjoying it.  Still playing Kid Icarus about once a week, trying to complete some of the easier remaining challenges.  And only up to world 6 in Super Mario 3D Land (didn't play for a long time while going through Kid Icarus but resumed it last weekend when I was out of town.)

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:51 am »
I'm assuming he says this because of the announcement of the 3DS XL.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 07:14:35 am »
Yeah I figured that out later in the day.  Weird that I saw the story on my local paper website and not on usatoday.com or cnn.com though.

Just like with the DSi, I'd prefer an XL version as it better fits the size of my hands, but I'm not dropping an additional $200 for it.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
You could sell the old one to fund the purchase of the new one. I always do that when there's a better model.

Quite furious the white XL ain't coming to North America :rage

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:02 am »
When was the last time you played a non-Dragon Warrior RPG, JGOO, besides your current one?

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 07:04:46 am »
I was replaying Skies of Arcadia Legends for about the 5th or 6th time late last year.  It remains to this day the finest RPG I've ever played.  (Xenoblade is very good but there's *too much* and it takes away from the overall experience.)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »
I played Skies Legends for about 10 hours and remembered not being too thrilled by it, namely the high enemy encounter rate and the primitive graphics.

Lunar and Grandia are some of my favorite RPGs, so i feel a bit alienated for not completing what is essentially a sequel to those games in spirit.

g0f3r

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • Insert witty catch phrase here:
    • Now Playing:
      ・Mass Effect , Fallout New Vegas
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 01:44:04 am »
Grandia really is an amazing game. Ties with Legend of Legia for me.
"Spam, eggs, sausage, and spam"

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2012, 11:28:56 pm »
I thought Legaia was moderately entertaining, but very mediocre (Legend of Dragoon as well if you've played that studio's other RPG).

Grandia is absolutely brilliant. It's only marred by Sony America's localization (i can't believe Working Designs didn't snatch it up).

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2012, 08:03:39 pm »
New Super Mario Bros 2:

9.2 out of 10

Pros: Better than the first. Maybe the most purely fun Mario game I've played since Super Mario World.  No stage is so incredibly hard to absolutely piss you off (though the warp cannon stages can be quite challenging.)  Good use of all of Mario's skills, including some Raccoon-tail flying, butt stomp, kicking shells into things, and bounce jumping off of enemies to reach higher ledges.  Not impossible to collect all the Star/Moon Coins - decent replayability of stages trying to collect them all.  Warps are not a given (hard enough to find them, then have to complete a very difficult running and jumping stage) and go to truly special worlds (like SMW) instead of just advancing a few regular worlds.  The minishroom isn't needed quite as much as NSMB1, and is easier to obtain for when you do need it.

Cons: Short, and maybe too easy to collect all the Star Coins and Moon Coins and complete all levels.  Some enemies underutilized (ie, Fire Bros. only appear in one level.)  The always fun Megashroom only makes three appearances.   Another pretty weak story, doesn't even explain why you should or need to collect one million coins.  Maybe if you were to finance the Toad Orphanage or something, I could get behind that, but they don't explain it all.  And the ad campaign makes such a big deal about coin collecting, although it doesn't matter one bit.

And a MILLION coins??  I've cleared every stage in every world (normal and special), finding all alternate exits, and collecting every Star Coin and Moon Coin in the game, and I finished with a paltry 45,000-something coins. Ain't no way I'm playing the game through 22 times over to get to a million.  When I started, I thought it would be easy to maybe finish with 400,000 - 700,000, putting a million in reach with a little extra effort. Nintendo may have well said ten million and it would have accomplished the same amount of dissatisfaction.  I'm just glad one million isn't needed to access some kind of final boss or special ending because then I'd be pissed.

As it stands, it's worth the real coins you have to put down for the game just for the fun factor, but don't get your hopes up that you'll be swimming in a bath of coins.

Also, Kid Icarus: Uprising only $15 at Best Buy today (Sept 4)

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 12:38:57 am »
I liked Mario games back when they were a special occasion, but now they're churning out the fella yearly.

If i have to choose a NSMB game (i have yet to touch one), i'll probably try the upcoming Wii U game. The coin gimmick didn't really grab me from the trailers of NSMB2.

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:43 am »
I'm playing Bullet Witch again.

Please stop me.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
    • Now Playing:
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
I love playing obscure Japanese games.

Never gets old.

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:39 am »
Just in case any of you have been witnessing how Resident Evil 6 alienates friends and family all across the internet, and are wondering who to listen to, and you've decided to listen to me because you know I'm the real deal honey baby: RE6 is legit, get it. Or play the demo. Then get it. Because it's good.