Author Topic: Dead or Alive 2 Endings  (Read 10562 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:50:16 pm »
Snow Puma made a pretty darn good point about Dead or Alive 2's endings in another thread.

They're deep.

Nevermind that they're short, make little sense at first, or kind of random, there really is something about them that's got charm.

Like Jan Lee's ending for example.  The guy goes crazy Bruce Lee and punches the shrapnel out of a tree. HIYAAAAAAH!!

Sure, for any normal person that'd be a total WTF moment, especially after having spent an hour playing through Jan Lee's story mode, but there really is a lot more to his ending than meets the eye.

If you read in the instruction booklet for Dead or Alive 2 for Dreamcast, there's mention about a game called Tengu Daioshi, which is a game played by Tengu to determine who the strongest is.  How Tengu Daioshi works is that a tengu challenges another tengu, and whomever is able to knock down the biggest tree between them gets crowned strongest, with the loser having to shine the victor's shoes for a week(tengu wear shoes?)

Anyhow, as inane and random as Jan Lee's ending is, I think there's a little more to it than meets the eye.  He's not just hitting a tree.  By smashing through and knocking over the Tengu's tree he's in fact exerting his dominance over the tengu, pretty fucking cool when you consider a tengu's mythological status as the pinnacle of fighting prowess.

Japanese mythology says that it was tengu whom first passed down martial arts to humans, and for a human to come up and beat the shit out of a tengu and knock down their tree and yell out "What, bitch!? Slamintoaslimjimtotheextreme!!" isn't just an achievement for a tournament fighter, it's the top of the stack.  Jan Lee struck down all them wannabe punksters when he toppled that tree.  He was all like "Tengu daioshi mother fucker! Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?!"

Exaggerations aside, I just wanted to share the significance behind Mr. Lee's ending.  Just like Snow Puma said, Hayate awakening in his ending and being all like "I'm a ninja!...And I can fly!" was pretty cool too. :D

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:14:47 pm »
I always dug Ayame's ending...

DOA2 totally pwn3d me man, I love that game, still play it on DC all the time

Doctor_Raven

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Lone Guardian of Cybertron
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:26:18 pm »
I thought the Tengu taught Ninjitsu and not Martial Arts. That was more of a Chinese monk thing <.< >.>
ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 02:16:54 pm »
Billie:  "Behold!  I am the miyama's woman tengu!"
That ending was cool too.  Ayane just has that Akuma-ish vibe about her as far as DoA is concerned.  I think it has something to do with being cold, uber powerful, and a secret character in DoA1.

Raven: You called me on it.  Tengu taught ninjitsu, and my scheme would have worked too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

All this talk about DoA 2 makes me want to go out and get an X-box so I can play DoA 2 Ultimate.

Cole Tyger

• The Dark Lord of Overkill
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Master of the K-girl Fanfic
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 02:33:43 pm »
Quote from: Hyperguy
Billie:  "Behold!  I am the miyama's woman tengu!"
That ending was cool too.  Ayane just has that Akuma-ish vibe about her as far as DoA is concerned.  I think it has something to do with being cold, uber powerful, and a secret character in DoA1.

Raven: You called me on it.  Tengu taught ninjitsu, and my scheme would have worked too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

All this talk about DoA 2 makes me want to go out and get an X-box so I can play DoA 2 Ultimate.

your better off with a copy of hardcore for the PS2

the pressure sensitive button set up on the xbox makes the game a stone bitch to master

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 02:34:54 pm »
Pressure sensitive?  But I thought that there was similiar technology already in PS2 controllers.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 12:55:51 am »
So I was thinking of cosplaying as Ayame

:og

daitanuki

• A kinder, gentler Custom title.
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime?
Re: Dead or Alive 2 Endings
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:59:43 pm »
Tengu taught ninjitsu, and my scheme would have worked too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Whoa.  I'm weighing in way late here, but what the hell.

I'm sure that you're mistaken on that.  Japanese myth features a samurai, (whose name escapes me, but I would be happy to look up) who was taught bushido by a tengu and went on to great victory at the end of the warring states period.

I've never heard that idea about tengu teaching ninjitsu exclusively, but I know of several examples to the contrary.  Where did you get that impression, by the way?
Apan, Papan, Apepapedingdingdång

Take it!

Mediocrity

• Idea Factory Fan - PLEASE IGNORE
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • the neverending sunlight is so blinding it's cruel
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:53:34 pm »
I thought the mythical progenitor of ninjutsu was an ogre named Ongyo-ki. He had the power to duplicate himself and become invisible (the first kanji of ninja is "to disappear").
"My son is sixteen, my wife is dead, and you're an asshole." - Jessie to Citan, Xenogears: A Rope of Robots, Part 19

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 04:28:31 pm »
Whoa.  I'm weighing in way late here, but what the hell.

I'm sure that you're mistaken on that.  Japanese myth features a samurai, (whose name escapes me, but I would be happy to look up) who was taught bushido by a tengu and went on to great victory at the end of the warring states period.

I've never heard that idea about tengu teaching ninjitsu exclusively, but I know of several examples to the contrary.  Where did you get that impression, by the way?
Could be.  It's been a long time since I first heard of it.  I looked it up on Wikipedia and the most they mentioned of tengu and ninja were these passages:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Historical examples of ninja include Minamoto no Yoshitsune, who employed surprise as a major weapon in his victories. He is said in a popular folktale to have been educated by a tengu to learn the tactic and became a ninja. In truth, he was taught by Buddhist monks who educated him with Chinese books like The Art of War.

Quote from: Wikipedia
There are many myths and legends concerning ninja, who were most prevalent during Japan's feudal era and often served daimyo, or feudal lords, for secret missions. Their special abilities are also often exaggerated, such as becoming invisible, turning into animals, jumping over buildings, and the ability to fly and foresee the future. These myths were caused by secretive natures of ninja and confusion with Tengu and yamabushi.

I'm guessing Minamoto may vary well be the samurai in the myth you were talking about.

daitanuki

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 04:40:36 pm »
Y'know, I'de never put two and two together, but yeah, Minamoto was indeed the guy I was referring to.  He was the originator of a sword school that I have a book about, but I'd never realized that he was the guy who was supposedly tengu-instructed.

I'm still confused by the ninja part.  I've never heard reference to that, and his school is a samurai school that was taught to high-ranking families.  The subsequent leaders of his school had close ties to prominent daimyo and even the shogun, but the book has no indication that there was any association with ninja.

Not that that's something that you brag about.  ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with DOA beyond the typically cinematic portrayal of ninja.  What role do the tengu play?

Take it!

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 02:50:05 pm »
According to the Tengu boss in the final boss fight of DOA2, "Everything is my delusion!"

That's all he says, but from that we can rationalize that some of the natural diasters/story elements have some sort of connection to him.  Which doesn't make any sense at all.  The only other time he appears in the game is during a trippy dream that I think Kasumi has of him dancing in a clock tower.

daitanuki

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 02:54:40 pm »
He says "delusion?"  Not illusion?  That's awesome!

So, some freaky tengu shows up and tells everybody, "I'll hallucinating all of you!  It's my world, baby.  Y'all jes' livin' in it!"

I gots ta' play this game.

Take it!

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 01:46:36 pm »
Yessir.  "Delusion."

And what's crazier is if you fight against him with English voices on.  He sounds much more happier, and belts out "Everything is my delusion!" like a surly drunken shopping mall Santa.

If and when I get an X-Box I'm going to hunt down DoA 2 Ultimate.  It's like a classic in my eyes.

Cole Tyger

• The Dark Lord of Overkill
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Master of the K-girl Fanfic
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 04:22:51 pm »
Yessir.  "Delusion."

And what's crazier is if you fight against him with English voices on.  He sounds much more happier, and belts out "Everything is my delusion!" like a surly drunken shopping mall Santa.

If and when I get an X-Box I'm going to hunt down DoA 2 Ultimate.  It's like a classic in my eyes.

uh-huh

you just want to see helena in her harem girl costume

Mediocrity

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 04:33:39 pm »
Is beating off to DOA even possible? I thought they made anything remotely sexy really short or hard to see.
"My son is sixteen, my wife is dead, and you're an asshole." - Jessie to Citan, Xenogears: A Rope of Robots, Part 19

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 10:24:18 am »
That's why you use the fanart and doujinshi for that kind of thing.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Mediocrity

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 02:01:17 pm »
Well, duh.

Bluelyth

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 04:55:44 pm »
Theres also something called "pause" .... ^^

As an added bonus, you get to rip into your buddy when he's complianing that the buttons keep sticking .. "yeah, sure they do!" ^~