Author Topic: Any other import gamers here?  (Read 8293 times)

importgamer13

• The Professor Tomoe of the forum
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Fan-fic writer. Anime/manga fan. Import gamer.
Any other import gamers here?
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:44:52 pm »
Aside from my ID name here,i am an import gamer.I have about 37 japanese games,and 1 european game,and i was wondering how many other members of the site are import gamers as well?

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Any other import gamers here?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 10:05:10 pm »
The only 2 games I ever imported were the Japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes for Sega Saturn and Dragonball Z Legends for PS1. I can't mod my PS2 and can't afford a swap disc or anything else.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

importgamer13

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 10:13:41 pm »
The only 2 games I ever imported were the Japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes for Sega Saturn and Dragonball Z Legends for PS1. I can't mod my PS2 and can't afford a swap disc or anything else.
I hear that...i mostly go for stuff that doesn't have a region lockout,or what have you.
There are some exceptions,such as i have a Japan Saturn and a USA Saturn. (One of my Japan Saturn games requires a Japan 4MB RAM cart,which I have ...so i needed a Japan Saturn to play that one.)

I also have a modified Genesis which can play USA and Japan Genesis/Mega Drive games)
My SNES has had the 'tabs' taken out so it can accept Japan Super Famicom games.

My other systems i either have convertors,or are systems with no region lock-out.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:46:38 pm »
I am not an import gamer, but I respect you for it, I can't afford that type of hobby lol. My career takes all of my monies.

I am however an "Import Listener" in the fact that I listen to more Japanese bands and own more albums/DVDs/Merchandise than anyone I know...

importgamer13

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:21:50 am »
I am not an import gamer, but I respect you for it, I can't afford that type of hobby lol. My career takes all of my monies.

I am however an "Import Listener" in the fact that I listen to more Japanese bands and own more albums/DVDs/Merchandise than anyone I know...

I agree with you there,import gaming can be quite expensive...three of the games i imported cost $100 or more....
(Shodai Nekketsu Koha Kunio-Kun,SNES bidding war,about $109)
(Dungeons and Dragons Collection,Saturn+4MB RAM cart $105,I was the only bidder)
(Rockman Mega World,Genesis Buy it Now price $119,after insurance of my choice $129)

Myself i have some Japanese CD's also,alot of my video game music CD's and many of my anime music CD's came from Japan,we got an anime store near my house that i get alot of game/anime soundtracks from.I  got some posters/wall scrolls/figures from Japan there also.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:26:49 am by importgamer13 »

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:29:52 pm »
Been importing games and soundtracks for some time.

1st import game if I recall was Cyberbots for the Saturn.

1st import soundtrack was Vampire Hunter OST.

While I only import titles that either interest me and/or have no chance of hitting the states (Vampire Collection comes to mind), my soundtrack collection has grown rather large over the years.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:53:45 pm »
My Import CD Collection is as follows...

X Japan BEST Fans Selection
X Japan BEST (DVD + CD)
Gackt - The Sixth Day
Gackt - The Seventh Night
Gackt - Crescent
Gackt - Mars
Moi dix Mois - Dix Infernal
Moi dix Mois - Nocturnal Opera
L'Arc en Ciel - Awake
Nami Tamaki - Greeting
Megumi Hayashibara - Single Collection Vol. 1
Megumi Hayashibara - Single Collection Vol. 2
Castlevania SOTN OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Final Fantasy X-2 OST
Kingdom Hearts OST
Final Fantasy VIII Piano Collection
Final Fantasy X Piano Collection
Dir en Grey - Withering to Death
Hikaru Utada - Exodus
X Japan - Last Live (DVD)

I need more X(

importgamer13

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 02:38:48 pm »
Been importing games and soundtracks for some time.

1st import game if I recall was Cyberbots for the Saturn.

1st import soundtrack was Vampire Hunter OST.

While I only import titles that either interest me and/or have no chance of hitting the states (Vampire Collection comes to mind), my soundtrack collection has grown rather large over the years.
Cool!

My 1st import game was Sailor Moon R for SNES

My 1st import soundtrack was Bubblegum Crisis Best Collection

With import games i usually go after titles that interest me as well,although there were two or so that came to the USA much later,and on different systems,such as...

Rockman and Forte SNES,i got it,and later it hit the USA GBA.I still have both versions.

Rockman X3---I originally got the PS1 rerelease version,but found out the Mod chip required to play it would be touchy to put in(it needed one of those 'stealth' mod chips,which people have a hard time installing,i heard one wrong move would fry your PS1,and that's coming from a buddy of mine who puts regular mod chips into PS1's all the time),so i later got the Saturn version,and it was recently,when the USA got the Megaman X Collection that the USA finally got this special version of X3.I keep the Saturn version,because i like the j-pop opening and ending(They put in basic theme music on the X Collection version instead of the J-pop),i kept the PS1 version also,my pals said even the PS1 rerelease is something of a collector item now.I play the X Collection version the most.

Another slight exception is Castlevania- Symphony of the Night...I have the USA PS1 version,and when i began importing Saturn titles,i finally got the Saturn version,Akumajo Dracula X- Nocturne in the Moonlight.With Nocturne,i like to play as Maria most,but i also play as Richter,and I try to get the new items for Alucard.If i'm just playing to enjoy the basic plot,etc,i throw in my PS1 version,so i get use from both versions.

Other import titles i have bought include a bunch of the Sailor Moon games (I currently have 14 of them...lol),as well as many Ranma 1/2 titles and a bunch of import Kunio/River City Ransom titles,with some odd titles here and there,such as Dungeons and Dragons Collection and a few other Rockman titles.

lumberjack33

• OK
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Dojinmule
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 03:06:05 pm »
I only really import if the game will be radically different when it gets a domestic release (Ouendan) or, bearing in mind I live in the well known gaming third-world England, if the publisher is taking the piss a little with the release (Animal Crossing) or are not planning on releasing it at all (Katamari Damacy).

On the by and large, I prefer to support the local industry wherever possible, as the situation probably isn't going to get any better if they don't have the money to do so. The same largely goes for anime and manga.

Anyway, my import collection sits at 1 Japanese game and about three or four US ones.
DOJINMULE - dojinshi on the emule network, now with over 400 dojins

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »
I import games as well, but not as frequently as I used to when the only console I had was a Super Famicom/Nintendo.  I still purchase the occasional PS2/PC game from time to time.

I'm actually more prone to import anime DVDs.

importgamer13

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 06:03:25 pm »
On the by and large, I prefer to support the local industry wherever possible, as the situation probably isn't going to get any better if they don't have the money to do so. The same largely goes for anime and manga.

Anyway, my import collection sits at 1 Japanese game and about three or four US ones.

I agree.I prefer the versions to my country (USA),but in alot of cases (not all though),the games i imported didn't get a USA release,such as the Sailor Moon games,and many of the others i have.I actually have the USA Release of the SNES Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, which i bought the day it came out...since i have that version,i felt i didn't really need the Japan version of that one.With games like Megaman and Bass,and Megaman X3(on the X Collection),those came out long after i had imported the original titles,but that is admittedly a risk people take as an import gamer.You may import a title,and it may come out in your country at a much later date,possibly on a different system.

the only European title i have is Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.It was at a local used shop that deals with import games,and i bought it for $9...it didn't have the book,but it has the original case.I got it for a reason that many people tease me about...it features Robotnik/Eggman on the cover...lol...but i had more than enough money for it on that day,and it doesn't have a region lock-out,so i can play it on a model 1 or 2 Genesis without any problems...and i only recently got the USA Sonic 1 on the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2,but i like having this one European game among my collection of Japanese games,but...that's just my own oddness for you...lol
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 06:11:11 pm by importgamer13 »

importgamer13

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 06:08:04 pm »
I import games as well, but not as frequently as I used to when the only console I had was a Super Famicom/Nintendo.  I still purchase the occasional PS2/PC game from time to time.
I know what you mean,the Super Famicom/SNES had some great games that didn't make it to the USA...i think my SNES has the most of my import games overall,though i also have import games for...
NES
Gameboy
Gameboy Advance
Genesis
Game Gear
Saturn
PS1

Aside from my import SNES games,i also have 3 games that require the import Sufami Turbo adaptor for SFC in Japan.I have two of the SD Gundam Sufami Turbo games,and i have Sailor Stars for Sufami Turbo.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 07:19:31 pm »
I have several Japanese Virtual Boy carts, a few Saturn imports, and my Game Boy Color is a european version.  The VB and GBC don't need a converter; one of my Sats has a tempermental modchip.

I have a few imported PC game originals too, but I presume you were referring to consoles.

importgamer13

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 03:27:40 pm »
I have a few imported PC game originals too, but I presume you were referring to consoles.
import games in general,even PC is cool.Mine are mostly console,except for a few import handheld games i have for Gameboy,GBA,and Game Gear.

importgamer13

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 08:28:17 am »
So far the last import game i picked up yet was Kunio-Kun Nekketsu Collection 3 for GBA.I wanted that one because it has 'Technos Samurai' on it,as well as 'Ike Ike!Nekketsu Hockey Bu'(AKA Crash N The Boys Ice Challenge,which got cancelled for the USA).

I have my eyes on a few more japanese games that i want,such as....
Dracula X- Rondo of Blood- PC Engine
(I forgot the exact name,but it's a Kunio soccer game for Sega Genesis)
Golden Axe 3- Genesis

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 01:42:25 am »
On the topic of recently imported games, my most recent one was Aoi Umi no Tristia LE for the PS2... it's still sitting on my shelf in shrink-wrap... my friends tell me I hate gaming, and sometimes... I think they're right.