Forum > General Discussion

Super Mario Bros. Movie

(1/2) > >>

JG:
High hopes for this. Not because I'm so into a movie featuring Mario or video game characters and stuff (didn't care much for the recent Assassin's Creed or Sonic movies) - but the teaser poster seems to give a lot of happy little details.

If this is any indication of the full movie, its shaping up to be one of those movies you have to pause every few seconds to catch some background detail, like hammers, music note blocks and P-switches in the antique shop, Delfino island fruit, a Toad carrying a cheep-cheep in a bag after winning a festival game, or the region patches on the back of Toad's backpack.

Moge:
Had pretty low expectations for the movie, but I'm very pleased after watching the Direct. Jack Black absolutely stole the show with his Bowser performance. Chris Pratt was meh as Mario, but everyone expected that :P

Especially love the visual style they've gone with, that western Pixar/DreamWorks look mixed with the official Nintendo style.

JG:
I didn't care much for either of the voices. Bowser's is, in the games, much deeper and growling. Seems like Jack Black's bowser will be a bit funnier, but he didn't seem as menacing as he really should have.
Chris Pratt's Mario though... ugh. It may be the anchor weighing it all down. (Could be worse though, since I can't get Dewey Duck out of my head when I hear Ben Schwartz's Sonic the Hedgehog.)

Given the general excellence Illumination has displayed in recruiting voice actors for previous works (Despicable Me series, Sing, etc.) the SMB movie trailer did not enthuse me. I didn't see anything in the trailer to make me go 'wow', but heard enough to make me go 'hrrmm'. Show me more Mario, more Luigi, and at least a peek of Peach: don't have Bowser and Toad monopolize it. Its called The Super Mario Bros Movie, not the Bowser and Toad Movie.

I am less interested in it now than I was before the trailer. And since that's the only goal a trailer has, I have to give it a failing grade.

G-1:
I honestly do like the aesthetic in the Mario scene. I can see where the original anime movie had some influence.  Im really interested to see the Wrecking Crew part of the story though.

Moge:
Even though Peach wasn't in the trailer, her look was leaked shortly before the trailer was released.

The growly Bowser voice from the games just isn't suitable for talking, and especially isn't suitable for singing since I hear there's gonna be some lyrical music.

I'm surprised that the visuals didn't impress you, JGOO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version