Author Topic: Fun things to do in Breath of the Wild  (Read 6392 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Fun things to do in Breath of the Wild
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:57:54 pm »
Cheats and tricks can be found all over the place. What are some of the things you've come across in BotW that are just plain fun to try or watch?
Try to keep spoilers to a minimum. Otherwise make use of the spoiler tag.

I'll start:

* Talk to people wearing only your undies. (I.e., no equipped clothing, like at start of the game.)  It's amazing that they coded some specific responses for this unexpected occurrence.

* Talk to people willing to change your horse's mane or gear while riding Epona (assuming you have a Link amiibo to unlock her).  They'll pretty much refuse to mess with perfection.

* Take Wolf Link into a fight with Maraudo Wolves (assuming you have the Wolf Link/Midna amiibo from Twilight Princess HD).  Wolf Link is the alpha.

* Watch the dog at a stable for a while on a sunny day. It'll roll around on its back after a while.

* Watch Pikango the traveler at his canvas in either Kakariko or at various stables for a little while.  He's painting style is quite animated.

* Refuse to sell Beedle a beetle you've caught. (Don't worry, he'll make the same offer the next time you talk to him.)

* On horseback, use a Frostspear (or perhaps any other long reaching ice weapon) against a mounted Bokoblin. You freeze more than just the baddie.  (Now that I finally unlocked it, I want to try Stasis+ on either the horse, if it'll let me, or the rider to see if only one stops or if they count as a single unit like with the ice weapon.)

* Use a fire weapon to set a Hinox's feet ablaze and watch as he stomps and hops around trying to put out the flames.

* Throw a Stalmoblin's arm. (Not a Stalbokoblin or Stallizalfos - those arms react as you'd expect.)  Apparently there's something peculiar about the shape of moblin arms.

* Mount a Stalhorse, ride it to a stable and try to register it. The stablemaster isn't so sure...

Arizona

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • If I get killed it's your fault!
Re: Fun things to do in Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:45:24 am »
Employ needlessly complicated solutions on relatively simple puzzles

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:49:39 am »
For some reason it's significantly more difficulty to do motion controlled puzzles on the Pro Controller. After countless attempts i switched to the Joy Cons and solved a ball-rolling puzzle on my first try.

It's slightly easier aiming with the Pro Controller however.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
* Stand on a skull cave, just above one of the eyes and drop round bombs into the hole - the shape of the eyes cause the bomb to roll into the middle of the skull where you can detonate and blast all the enemies inside in absolute safety and anonymity.  Bonus: If there's a bomb barrel or two inside, you may blow an enemy clean out of the skull's mouth.

* Drop some meat or fish into the frigid Spring of Wisdom atop a certain tall mountain.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:11:23 pm »
* Throw a bomb at an Octorok seed coming toward you. It actually bounces back at you! (This may be very difficult to pull off but it happened to me by accident today.)  Makes one wonder what else can bounce off of Octorok seeds... :chicken

By the way, dropping an ingredient in the Goron Hot Springs doesn't do a thing. The temperature there is actually below burning level. But all the stones around the hot springs will roast your food.  Not sure it qualifies as hot springs if its actually cooler than the surrounding area...

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:38:41 pm »
* Block the view of then talk to someone who's looking at something in the distance (the two kids down the hill from the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab for example)

* After uncovering a Korok on a mountain top, throw his rock off a cliff and hit a pigeon to kill it.  (This is hard to do, but there's a lot of bluebirds in the Hebra mountains and I got one of them on the west summit.)

* Get chased around in a thunderstorm by a chuchu. Chuchus not only attract lightning (assuming you aren't equipped with metal weapons), when they get blasted they'll spit out yellow jelly!

* Pick up a Stalnox's eye and watch its body grab for it.

* Pick up and then try to throw a Stalblin's head. (Instead of an overhand throw, Link drop kicks it.)

* Carry a Stal enemy's head into a town and watch the reactions you get.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:54 am »
* Use Cryonis to lift a fish out of water. It needs to be right near the surface to work but it'll flop around on top of the pillar if you do it right. (This is actually a decent way to capture hard to catch fish.)

Rai

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-M1
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 12:24:14 am »
I've tried that fishing method, plus sneaking, arrows, bait, and the swimming hood's spin attack, but the only method that comes close to meeting my desired level of efficiency is bombs. I mean, it feels crude to just blast the water and watch them float to the top for easy collection, but in a Zelda game where they give you infinite bombs there's also little reason not to use them as the solution to every problem possible.

Here's one: try setting fire to the Forest-Dweller's equipment set aside for the "Test of Wood". Found this because I was hoping to train my sensor on another FD's Sword in the area and was trying to get the reserved one out of the way...

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:16 am »
Here's one: try setting fire to the Forest-Dweller's equipment set aside for the "Test of Wood". Found this because I was hoping to train my sensor on another FD's Sword in the area and was trying to get the reserved one out of the way...

Did something happen right away or only when it burned away?  I seem to remember getting my sword on fire when a bomb (which you have to use quite often in that trial) set some of the tall grass near the beginning on fire and I walked across the edge close enough to light up the sword.  But I put quickly it away to make it stop burning and continued on.

Of course, if you let it burn away its effectively an unequip action, just like if you dropped it, threw it, or changed weapons.  Unequipping the sword, bow, or shield fails the test and makes you start over.  The bow is a particular problem because it only has about 10 shots in it before it'll snap and you absolutely have to use it to take out the bomb arrow bokoblin archers.  That was a very hard and annoying challenge compared to most in the game.

Rai

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-M1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:16 am »
Sorry, shoulda been more specific. Not during the trial itself, but outside of it while the equipment is laid against a log next to the Korok that administers it. It may only show up there after completing it once? I don't think I noticed it the first time, but that could just be due to all the mist...

Rai

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-M1
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
I'm not normally one to act like a psychopath in games like this, but after hearing the rumour guy's tip about what happens when you take a swing at the Goron boss, I'm now interested in seeing how every other NPC reacts to Link attacking them out of nowhere. May Hylia have mercy on my soul.

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:25:51 pm »
Got a pretty funny reaction when striking the Gerudo queen

Beat the game yesterday. Total playtime came out to "over 150 hrs" when i checked the log :o

There's still so much more i can do but i'm taking a break. Anybody who hasn't finished the game should seek out every memory to get a slightly extended ending.