Author Topic: Azumanga Daioh Fighter FAQ  (Read 8478 times)

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • I *WHAT* like a lesbian?!
    • Deviantart Gallery
Azumanga Daioh Fighter FAQ
« on: February 11, 2006, 04:33:03 am »
Since nobody has ever really cataloged a FAQ on Big Snow Games' Doujin-fighter featuring the Azumanga girls (much less one in english). I feel I should share and catalog what knowledgte I've gleened from both playing the game and translating the (rather lacking) manual) on the game's website.

Gameplay:
This game feels alot like a strange version of Guilty Gear with some interesting additions. The game uses standard controls for a computer fighter (namely p1 uses the arrow keys and N,M,<, and > while player 2 uses U,J,H,K for directions and Z,X,C,V for controls). All the following controls are listed for when the chracter is facing to the right:

:f  Moves the character closer to the opponent.

:b  Move your character away from the opponent and blocks high and jumping attacks

:d  Crouches, turning your attacks into low attacks and your blocks into low blocks

:u  Jumps, you can combine this with a direction to jump in that direction

:d :u  Super-jumps, same a regular jump, only higher and (with a direction) farther.

:b :b  Retreats using either a backstep or a backdash

:f :f  Rushes at the opponent with either a lunge or a dash

:p  refers to the N and Z attacks. They are quick and weak, they can also be canceled into :s or :hs

:s  refers to the M and X attacks. They are the middleground between :p and :hs . They can be canceled into :hs

:hs  refers to the < and C attacks. They're the most powerful and slowest of the basic attacks.

:dust  refers to the > and V buttons. They activate some special features and use up the Super bar to do various things.

To throw your opponent get close and use :b / :f  :+ :hs

Recover quickly in the air or after being knocked down by pressing any attack button at the right time (usually when falling or about the fall).

Any two attacks launched at the same time cancel each other out. ANY 2 attacks, weak attaks can even be used to cancel out/parry supers.

:f :dust  Activates a counterattack of sorts. Uses 1 super.

:qcf :dust  Activates a staggering attack that leaves the opponent open. Uses 1 super.

:a :qcf :dust Activates an aerial sort of dust attack that floats the opponent. Uses 1 super.

Ending certain combos with  :dust  Finishes the combo with a special pursuit attack Uses 1 super.

:d :d :dust  Activates "Burst" mode when your character has low (flashing) health and at least 3 Supers. In Burst mode a new super attack becomes avaiable and you have infinite supers. After your Burst mode finishes, you will not have any more supers for the rest of the round.

Pressing  :dust as a move is executing will cancel that move and allow you to start a new one instantly. Doing this uses 1 super.

Menus:
If you can't read the menus the mode selections are essentially:
Arcade mode (says CPU)
VS CPU
VS 2P
Training
Options
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 05:06:19 am by Snow Puma »

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
Re: Azumanga Daioh Fighter FAQ
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:33:33 am »
Ayumi Kasuga (a.k.a. Osaka)
Osaka excels at change-up games and faking out the opponent.

Returning with the Tide - :df :hs

Umbrella Monster - :f :s

It's a Shisa -    :qcf :p
       An invibile projectile hits anyone Osaka points at
It's NOT a Shisa - :qcf :s
       A fake-out version of the above

I'm Afraid of Thunder! - :qcb :s
       A bolt of lightning nearly hits Osaka (and hopefully hits someone else in front of her).

Osakan Standup - :rs :hs
      Osaka does a flip that knocks opponents into the ground. Also available in the air

Achoi - :sho :p
      Osaka sneezes, damaging opponents near her.

Osaka's Hidden Potential - :d: :d: :p
       Osaka holds an eggplant and a falcon, powering up her attack the next time she uses "It's a Shisa", "I'm Afraid of Thunder", "Osakan Standuo", or "Achoi".

Super - Sea Cucumber! - :qcf :qcf :hs
       Osaka throws a multitude of wiggling Sea Cucumbers at the opponent (hits high and low)

Super - I think I'll go wake you Up - :qcb :qcb :hs
       Osaka considers waking you up, deals a small amount of damage to anybody standing right next to Osaka unless you follow it up with either of the following:
 :c :f :hs
       Osaka walks towards the opponent with a knife and is siloetted with light. Deals a decently large amount of damage.
:c :b :hs
       Osaka takes out a pan and laddle to wake you up, hits 5 times for a close range/anti-air super that deals tons of damage.

Burst Super - Zween! Mark II - :qcb :hcf :hs
       A beam of gundam proportions from Osaka's finger
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:03:27 am by Snow Puma »

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:33:53 am »
Spot for Chiyo

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 04:34:12 am »
Sakaki-san

Sakaki-san is actually two characters in one and it will take good positioning and tactical thinking to become skilled with her and her cat, Yamamaya.

Movement:
      Sakaki's controls are slightly altered from the other girls. The most noticable change is that when you press left or right, Sakaki does NOT move. Instead her cat moves with the :b and :f commands. In order to move Sakaki you must either hop backwards ( :b :b ), jump ( :u ), or dash ( :f :f ). This slight change gives Sakaki herself fewer options for getting close to an attacker. Yamamaya, however will have no trouble getting into an opponent's face as he can slide right through all attacks and even right through the opponent to flank them. Utilizing Yamamaya and Sakaki together is the most important skill you must master to win.

Attacks:
      Sakaki's arsenal of kicks are all quite useful. Both :p  and :d :p  are quick light strikes that combo incredibly well together and into other moves. Sakaki's :hs  and :d :hs  both are fairly slow to connect, but deal decent damage. It's Sakaki's :s  and :d :s  that covers the middle ground between speed and power you can also delay and possibly change-up Sakaki's :s by pressing :b  or :f  while attacking. Doing this will result in a delayed hit that strikes either high ( :f ) or low ( :b )

Meteor Hit - :a :d :p  or :s
Knocks opponent to the ground with an aireal strike.

Flying Dragon Kick - :qcf :s
Rushes at the opponent with a powerful flying roundhouse. use this to cover ground while maintaining an offensive,

Flying Tiger Knee -  :sho :s
Multi-hit anti-air and great juggle all in one. I use this move alot as a counter and as a great combo finisher. Also available in the air.

Four Gods Legs - Sticking? :sho :s
The manual mentions what I can only read as "Sticking" I think it means something like  :gp , but I'm not sure yet. Until I know how to use this attack, I'll leave this here.

Go Maya! - :qcb :p   or :s  or  :hs
Has Maya attack the opponent. :p is a low rush attack  :s is a high/anti-air jump and  :hs  is a damaging close-range bite and scratch mini-combo

Super - Hanami Festival Hunter - :qcf :qcf :hs
Sakaki dons her kimono and takes a shot at her opponent with a pop-gun. Heavy Damage in a single mid-range hit. "You killed it Sakaki-san!"

Super - Maya's Angry! - :qcb :qcb :hs
Maya unleashes his inner spirit and deals a massive number of hits to an opponent that stands on him.

Burst Super - Sakaki's Illusion - :p :p :f :s :hs
Sakaki does a quick-change act, transforming into her culture festival waitress garb, her gym uniform, her Dad-cap waitress outfit, and finially her "Punk Boy" costume. Each copy of Sakaki hits the opponent for a decent amount of damage. Each hit of this combo must connect with the opponent for this attack to work.

EX Sakaki

Meteor Hit - :a :d :p  or :s
As above, an aerial hit that knocks the opponent into the ground.

White Tiger Dance - :qcf :s

Blue Dragon Dance - :sho :s
Also available in the air.
   Art of War Dance -  :rs :p

Torso ? - :qcb :s
Also available in the air.
   Ghost Photograph - :qcf :p

Sakaki's Reaction - :qcb :p

Super - Dance of the Void - :a :qcf :qcf :hs

Super - Transformation - :qcf :qcf :hs

Super - Red Sparrow's Dance - :a :qcb :qcb :hs -> :p :p :s :s :hs :hs :p :s :hs :hs

Super - Paranormal Phenomenon - :qcb :qcb :hs

Danger Super - Sakaki's Illusion - Burst :p :p :s :hs
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:14:39 am by Snow Puma »

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 04:35:15 am »
Spot for Yomi

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 04:36:38 am »
Spot for Tomo

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 04:37:21 am »
Spot for Kagura

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 04:39:06 am »
Spot for Yukari

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 04:40:42 am »
Spot for Nyamo

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 04:42:12 am »
Spot for Kamineko

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 04:42:53 am »
Spot for Chiyo's Dad

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 05:17:43 am »
Any additions or tip/tricks are more than welcome. Please feel free to comment and/or ask any questions you have.

LordRyunson

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 08:50:12 pm »
Uh yeah, about that....

These people forgot to add Kaorin to the mix, not to mention Mr. Kimura and his wife! There are a few Azumanga characters left out of there... Unless they are unlockable boss characters!

Yuka Takeuchi Fan

• Loseriffic Pervert
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Yuka Takeuchi Fan's Severe Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 10:50:11 pm »
Where might I be able to find and play this game? I'm a BIG Azumanga fan, so...

That's about the only thing I think you've missed so far aside from the unknown moves.

Civility is overrated, don't you think?

King Zarkon

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Planet Doom Represent
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:28 am »
what about mr. tadakiechi? is he in this game?

LordRyunson

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 03:10:36 pm »
Either Mr. Tadakeichi is a hidden character, or a special move by Chiyo. She rides him, and uses him to knock down an opponent. Or sic him into battle, like Galford does with Poppy in Samurai Showdown.

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 11:52:37 pm »
Sadly Kaorin, Mr. Kimura (he would have made a great secret character), and his Wife are not in the game. I have spots for all the secret characters and regular characters. I've haven't translated the rest of the manual and I'm trying to find the most reliable version of the game to upload (there are a number of issues with the game randomly crashing as it opens for weeks on end.

Mr Tadekichi is featured in a few of Chiyo's special moves and also in one of her supers.