Author Topic: Smile!  (Read 16404 times)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
Smile!
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: Smile!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:58:10 am »
:D!!

What impeccable timing.  Just finished DQV this week.

DEBORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! :<

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »
DQ9 Early Impressions

The Good:
- You get the Alchemy Pot early and monsters seem to drop a higher rate than they did in DQ8.
- Nice naming scheme for 3rd person characters.  Celestrians are all named after constellations (Aquila, Columba, Tucana, Cygnus, Corvus, etc.); the Alchemy Pot is named Krak Pot; and the master of Alltrades Abbey is, naturally, Jack of Alltrades.
- Explaining why the main character is special and immune to curses, though not as artfully crafted as DQ8.
- Battles done on a 3D field with selection-to-action rendering. Characters now run around the field and jump to the enemy to attack (think Crono Trigger), which is an improvement over the classic "your guys in a line vs the enemy line" setup still used as late as DQ8, but not as well done as some other titles like Skies of Arcadia.

The Bad:
- The character customization ain't all its cracked up to be.  Theres only 8 to 10 choices for all features and many of them look too much alike.  Some features like height are imperceptible differences, and others, like hair, get covered up by helmets and such.
- Lack of humor.  Unlike the King from DQ8, your "conscience/battle records" tag-along character Stella is more annoying than funny.
- Ability to hire and fire team members. I find this disrupts the game flow and prevents quests that deal with one of your team member's backstory.  Your team members basically become mercenaries and only the main character is important.  RPG games aren't as fun that way.  This is why 4, 5, and 8 are the best in the series.
- For a DS game, there's been absolutely no need to use the stylus so far 10+ hours in.  You "can" use it to navigate and select menu options, but its easier to use the d-pad and buttons.  I hoped game features or miniquests would have relied on some kind of stylus or microphone use by now.

The Ugly:
- Playing the amnesia card for the main character again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:30:58 pm by JG00 »

Moge

• Forum Administrator
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
    • Now Playing:
      ・Transiruby, Splatoon 3: Side Order
    • Onna Hole
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:00 am »
Wish i had time to play this but FF XIII demands my attention for the time being. 

Really hope DQ IX sells through the roof.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:43:59 am »
The Good:
- Nice naming scheme for 3rd person characters.  Celestrians are all named after constellations (Aquila, Columba, Tucana, Cygnus, Corvus, etc.); the Alchemy Pot is named Krak Pot; and the master of Alltrades Abbey is, naturally, Jack of Alltrades.
Didn't notice that right off the bat!

- Battles done on a 3D field with selection-to-action rendering. Characters now run around the field and jump to the enemy to attack (think Crono Trigger), which is an improvement over the classic "your guys in a line vs the enemy line" setup still used as late as DQ8, but not as well done as some other titles like Skies of Arcadia.
I like how this makes battles seem more dynamic, but to be honest I think fighting enemies on a line is part of what makes a Dragon Quest game.

The Bad:
- The character customization ain't all its cracked up to be.  Theres only 8 to 10 choices for all features and many of them look too much alike.  Some features like height are imperceptible differences, and others, like hair, get covered up by helmets and such.
I like how with some of the options you can make characters from earlier games and even some other Toriyama designed characters.  I wish they'd allow for more saves though.  You don't get the option to uses the character customization much with only one save.

- Lack of humor.  Unlike the King from DQ8, your "conscience/battle records" tag-along character Stella is more annoying than funny.
I'm not that far in, but I'm missing party dialogues already.  The NPC dialogue seems up to par so far though.

- Ability to hire and fire team members. I find this disrupts the game flow and prevents quests that deal with one of your team member's backstory.  Your team members basically become mercenaries and only the main character is important.  RPG games aren't as fun that way.  This is why 4, 5, and 8 are the best in the series.
Do you think this was added because of Wi-Fi play?  I can understand SQ-E wanting to downplay NPC parties if they'd rather you play with friends.

- For a DS game, there's been absolutely no need to use the stylus so far 10+ hours in.  You "can" use it to navigate and select menu options, but its easier to use the d-pad and buttons.  I hoped game features or miniquests would have relied on some kind of stylus or microphone use by now.
I actually like how they omitted stylus use completely from DQV(save for the slime minigame).  Here it feels a little tacked on, but moving with the stylus feels a little more intuitive once you get the hang of it.  However, for more intensive parts the d-pad's much more reliable.

The Ugly:
- Playing the amnesia card for the main character again.
Ugh!  Funny how they always still remember how to fight.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »
Other neat names: Wight Knight. Dr Phlegming.

Also, you can create more customized characters at the Quester's Rest inn in Stornway, HG. You have all the options you have when creating the main character.  I regret not making my party look like and naming them after the RSR quartet though... That woulda been awesome.

I'm now sorely missing the monster arena sidequests from DQ8.  15 hours in and exploring the countryside is such a bore.  Having those bonus monsters to hunt was added spice. Also don't like that theres only 1 metal slime at a time in the Quarantomb. Even if you can find it amongst all the Earthenwarriors it runs away immediately.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »
"I am no longer Jack of Alltrades.  I am become the Master of Nu'un!"

Ahh, the classic Dragon Quest wordplay witticisms were indeed sorely missed  :bigtran

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »
Hot damn. O_o

Just finished the main quest, and I've got to say,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't tried DQVC yet, but after finding out that it has some cosplay sets(see attachment) that let your party dress as characters from previous games I may have to take out the WFC connector.

Particularly for the Debora and DQ3 Soldier ones as they're my favorites.  It's not in the screenshot, but I do hope Soldier's battle bikini is somewhere in the mix.

I've heard that some of the set pieces are normally available in the game, but so far have only been able to find
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
 It looks like some of the rare things, like headgear and character cosplay pieces come from grottoes and DQVC.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:19:54 pm by Hyperguy »

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »
Damn, you've made progress alot faster than I have.  I'm going very slowly and focusing on finding items for Krak Pot to cook up.  I think I've got something like 42% completion rate on the Alchenomicon now though. Im also trying to complete some of the quests requiring you to have a level 15 job.  So I only get a fygg every few nights where I could get one a day if I was really trying.

I'm about 61 hours in and Batzorig has just run off to the north.  But I've also been to Swinedimples since thats the only area to find Ice Crystals and Thunderballs.  Having to spend alot of time fighting Mad Moais for the bazillion Royal Soils you need for everything.  Even stealing them it takes a good while.  The only cache for them is just north of Porth Llafflan but the recharge rate on that site is something like 18-20 game hours (yikes!!) and the two times I've raided the site I've only found one Royal Soil each time.  I know I've used at least 40 in alchemy so far so thats a lot of dead Mad Moais.

DQVC = good but not great.  I got a Miracle Sword my first time (and its shown up again since so its not especially rare) - that became my hero's sword until last night when I finally forged the more powerful Inferno Sword.  (And if I can pick up enough Russurrocks tonight, I'll reforge the Miracle into an Uber Miracle.)  The main advantage of DQVC has been to obtain some of the rarer items for alchemy earlier than I could find them in caches or monster drops. Maybe one or two of the daily items is worth buying though.  Others are simple things you can make cheaper like Strong Medicines or worthless things you already have too many of through the natural course of the game, like Slimedrops.

Friday night I got my first special guest at the Inn and obtained Tsarevna Alena's costume from DQ4.  Can't wait to get Morrie or the cursed king's costumes from DQ8.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »
I figured that I'd have access to more materials after scenario completion so went ahead and did it first so I could spend the rest of endgame crafting.  You definitely have more recipes completed than I have.

Finally got to try DQVC.  Not sure how often the guests change, but I got Angelo and Alena on my first go.  And Alena even gave me an additional item for being a fighter(dress+black tights)! Angelo gave me a templar top.  I've been logging into it each day but they still haven't left the inn.  Some of the DQVC items are nice in that you can use them to buy ingredients that would take a while to refresh otherwise.

And I wish the game had netplay instead of local area, since I can't say there's anyone in my area who'd be interested in playing.  It makes sense though, since communication is limited compared to say, an MMO.  It'd be much easier to talk to someone from across the same room than to try to scribble down a long message with the canvas.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:35 am »
Heh, I sitll haven't completed the game.  I've been focusing too much on the alchemy (67% completion) and quests though (79 completed).  My characters are all around level 50, too, wearing all but the most powerful classes of post-game achmeized armor and weaponry - things like Uber Miracle Sword, Blinding Bow, Ballistick, Scourge Whip, Phantom Mask, Catropic Armour, Sacrosanct Armour, and Sizzling Bikiki top and bottom.  A story boss hasn't given me any problem since Leviathan (though the Grotto bosses are a little more of a challenge)

I'm over DQVC for items. It was good a couple of weeks ago before the story had progressed far enough to find some of the items Sellma sells but by the time you can get to Swinedimples you're at a high enough level to march or sail to any item caches you need for alchemy.  Royal Soils (100) and Nectars (200+) are the two items to always buy unless you want to do alot of stealing though.  Nectars aren't as bad, since they can be found in three places and regenerate quickly (2 game hours?) but the soils only show up in two places, only 1 or 2 available each time, and take 20 game hours to regenerate.  DQVC could be better by throwing in some of the rare alchemy items more often, especially the ones you'll need several of.  For example, last week they had a "slime sale" going on and Sellma said "pick up a Slime crown" or some crap like that and of course no slime crowns ever showed up for sale - just garbage like Slimedrops, Sloods, and Batterfly wings. I could really benefit from some Slime crowns. Some Orichalcum and Reckless Necklaces or Lucky Pendants, too.

DQVC is great for buying rare clothing though. I think some of it is only available at DQVC, like this week's skeleton suit items.

DQVC is also good for buying mini medals (about two a week are available) and getting some new quests.  And of course the special guests.  It may be coincidence but so far both characters were released on a Friday, after 2 weeks of play, Alena 3 weeks ago, Angelo a week ago. (New DQVC "sales weeks" start every Friday, too. Since this week's sale started on Friday the 13th they're running a "scary" sale.)  Presumably, someone new will show up this Friday.  They may be releasing the guests in alphabetical order too (which would be very unexciting as everyone could guess the next character out.) If DQ6's Ashlynn shows up next we'll know its being done alphabetically.  I really want to see Eight show up to see whether he talks or merely gestures at you.

I wasn't aware Alena gave a special gift to martial artists.  All I got was her dress.  I'll have to change jobs and go talk to her as Martial Artist then... I wonder if Angelo gives out a special item to Priests? The exact item I got was called "Templar's togs" but I don't recall what job class my hero was when he appeared. I also wonder if he'd give you a special item when you gain the ability to add Patty to you party, since he seems to have taken a liking to her.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »
It may be coincidence but so far both characters were released on a Friday, Alena 3 weeks ago, Angelo a week ago. Presumably, someone new will show up this Friday.  They may be releasing the guests in alphabetical order too (which would be very unexciting as everyone could guess the next character out.) If DQ6's Ashlynn shows up next we'll know its being done alphabetically.

I think these questions have now been definatively answered.  Ashlynn it was.  Expect Bianca in two weeks.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 02:20:39 am »
But I want Debora nowwwwwwwwwwwww! D:

Ah well, at least she's only a few weekends away. :<

JG, at the level you're at you should be able to steamroll right over the final boss.

And I think DQVC's selection is also influenced by level and story progression.  I did see a slime crown the first time I logged into DQVC and I believe that was on a Thursday(You can steal them from King Slimes otherwise).  I'd say the real benefit is being able to buy ingredients without having to rely on respawn rates.  It's a nice way to stock up on some of the more common, yet long cooldown ones.

As for minimedals, those become much easier to get once you get to 10 floor grottoes since mimic and cannibox spawn there fairly often and you can steal medals from them.  Sometimes they'll even drop one after you've already stolen one!

I got Templar's togs from Angelo too.  It looks like just as you predicted, a new character is released every Friday, while the other characters still remain accessible.

I was thinking it would be randomized and that they would check in and out of the hotel, though it looks like a year from now people will be able to update their DQIX and expect to see all characters unlocked.

I didn't play DQVIII, but isn't Angelo more of a paladin than a priest?  In any case, as for the details of Alena giving me her stockings for being a fighter, my main character is a fighter and was around level 52 when I talked to her.  I'm going to assume that in order to get extra items from cameo NPCs the character has to be at least level 40 in that profession and it may or may not be limited to main characters.

Didn't know a thing about Patty being able to join your party.  That must be from a downloadable story quest.  Currently I'm trying to reach max level via grottoes and mass producing cozy hats to make more money(you can buy the materials cheap and sell the hats for a 220g profit).

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 05:30:17 pm »
I just beat the main quest today, and yes, I did steamroll him.  I don't think it was so much due to my level though (51, 52, and two 50s) but due to the superior equipment I had alchemized up that point. This was my team upon completion (not all equipment is top level but the body armor and weapons are):
* Level 51 Hero/Minstrel: Uber Falcon Blade, Ogre Shield, Mithrel Helm, Sacrosant Armour,  Murky Mittens, Transparent Tights, Acroboots, Raging Ruby, carrying Minstel's Manual (Gritty Ditty ability) and Swordcraft in Summary (Gigaslash and Gigagash attacks)
* Level 52 Martial Artist: Combusticlaws, Empowered Shield, Golden Tiara, Sizzling Bikini Top, Heavy Handwear, Slick Slacks, Thug Boots, Mighty Armlet, carrying Martial Artists Manual (carries tension to next battle), and Core of the Claw (Hand of God attack), mastery of shield too so she blocks about 10% of attacks
* Level 50 Priest: Ballistick, Ethereal Shield (awesome for magical mending), Maid's Mop, Ethereal Armour (even more awesome for mending), Mayoress's Mittens, Transparent Tights, Sheepskin Shoes, Raging Ruby, carrying Priest's Primer (Wave of Relief ability, which is highly useful against the later bosses), Secrets of the Sheild book (blocks critcal attacks)
* Level 50 Mage: Scourge Whip, White Knights Shield, Phantom Mask, Jaguarment, Mayoress's Mittens, Sizzling Bikini Bottoms, Wizard Wellies, Utility Belt, carrying Mage's Manual (Weakening Wave ability, not that it works against bosses), Wands and Beyond (in case my priest and minstrel went down I could change to a wand and get them back), and Working With Whips (Serpent's Bite attack)
I also brought along some Sage's Elixers and Yggdrasil Leaves to the final battles, but didn't need them.

He did knock out my mage with a critical hit in round 3 but Zing from my priest got her back right away.  He lasted 14 rounds against me.  I am a little surprised he doesn't attack three times in a turn like the final boss of Rhapthrone does at the end of DQ8.

DQVC's selection is not influenced by level and story progession.  Its entirely random. If it was based on anything sane, I wouldn't have acquired a Miracle Sword around level 20, or wouldn't see the garbage thats up there this week.  Every item that Sellma has today I had at least 33 of. (And anyone who can't find more than enough Coagulant for their needs really isn't trying at all.)

I've got 60 minimedals now, so its not like I'm hurting for them.

I did some research on the special characters and found out that each will give you four items: one for talking to them in any class, a second for talking to them while youre hero is the same type (martial artist for Alena, priest for Angelo, and mage for Ashlynn), a third when the inn is fully upgraded (whatever that means), and the last one when a quest is completed (for Alena its #157) but none of the quests have been released yet. I am not sure if you have to be level 40 to unlock these extra items or not. But per the Japanese version which has been out alittle while longer, none of the characters will ever leave the Inn, so we've all got time.

Yes, Angelo has some paladin in him but his official character type in DQ8 is templar.  He hails from Maella Abbey, so he's got enough priestly influence, and his primary role in DQ8 is that of healer, so I think priest works best.  I'm disappointed you haven't ever played DQ8 though HG. Dig your PS2 out of the cloest, go get a copy and start playing. (It'll take about 100-110 hours to get through the main quest.)

Acquiring Patty as a team member is a downlodable quest (#125). I think you have to complete #123 before you can transgress it though.  Just talk to her after clearing Erinn's quest and it's supposed to start. By the way...

As far as money goes, I'm just selling off extra pieces of platinum (NE of Bloomingdale and also E of Swindimples), mirrorstone (walk off the W side of Hermany and loop back around via Urdus Marshlands, or also sail due E from Hermany until you find a coastline), and mythril (S of Gerzuun).  Each of those brings in a pretty penny and aren't very hard to get to.  Sometimes I also go to the places Gleeba Guineas are found. I make sure to visit these sites once a day and have built up quite a stockpile which I've been selling off in order to afford those ludicrously expensive items that start becoming available late in the game.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »
Just confirmed that you can get an extra item from cameo NPCs with just a level 1 job.  Managed to get an extra item from Ashlynn by switching main character to mage, then I went to Angelo as level 1 priest and also received an item.  I think it's restricted to main character's job, though with Jack's Knack it's easy enough to switch to the appropriate job as you're standing next to them and switch back.

I talked to a friend about it, and they told me that you can get additional items from them by talking to them on your birthday and by talking to them on theirs(Not sure when some character's birthdays would be, I assume it's listed on a wiki somewhere).

And I don't have a PS2 any more, though what I can do is pick up DQVIII at my local (lol)Gamestop and play it on PC via PS2 emulator. :D

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:26 am »
Just confirmed that you can get an extra item from cameo NPCs with just a level 1 job.  Managed to get an extra item from Ashlynn by switching main character to mage, then I went to Angelo as level 1 priest and also received an item.  I think it's restricted to main character's job, though with Jack's Knack it's easy enough to switch to the appropriate job as you're standing next to them and switch back.

That's exactly the approach I was taking, although now I've gotten my main character up to at least level 20 in all jobs except Sage (which I just haven't gotten to for him yet) and Luminary (which I have yet to unlock)

I talked to a friend about it, and they told me that you can get additional items from them by talking to them on your birthday and by talking to them on theirs(Not sure when some character's birthdays would be, I assume it's listed on a wiki somewhere).

I have not heard about the character's birthdays getting you anything but I have indeed heard that some NPCs, if not all of them, will give you something on your birthday.  I beleive its regular items you can get in blue chests or via DQVC though, like Birthday Cakes, Party Poppers, and Christmas Cakes.

I've now completed 114 quests but only seven grottos.  Of the 17 quests outstanding most are unavailable to me becuase I don't have a high enough grotto level map to unlock them.  I've also spent alot of time up on Slime Hill in the last week trying to advance my characters up to level 50 in their non-primary jobs so I can invest skill points in the abilities which apply to all classes (like Natural X + 10).  I'm considering reworking my team for the really high level grottos (which I've read are extremely hard) to include something like 2 martial artists (for high strength and agility) with full Shield expertise (so they can carry shields with martial artists otherwise can't) and either two sages, or one sage plus a minstrel.  I'll equip one character with my Sacrosanct armour, and the other three with Uber Miracle Swords, so they all have built in regenerative abilities.  Obviously I'd also like for every character to have have Full Spear+Thunder Thrust or Full Axe+Hatchet Man for taking down the huge experience monsters like Metal King Slimes and Platinum King Jewels in one blow (I already have two characters doing this and it works pretty well on the Liquid Metal Slimes on Slime Hill)

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »
Looks like we lost some posts during the transition...

Before the downtime I'd posted here that Friday' night's new character (Kiryl) was a curveball.  Not only did it break the alphabetic streak, which is a good thing, it wasn't the right character to do it with, as Kiryl adds nothing to the backstory or special gear for new players.  Regarding backstory, he's from the same chapter in DQ4 that Alena is, so she's already told the story of the Tsardom of Zamovska.  Secondly, he's also a priest which Angelo had covered.  Kiryl's torso equipment is identical in stats to Angelo's, and his shoes are identical in stats to Ashlynn's, so a new player gains nothing but an extra pair of clothes while established players get nothing of notable value.  I was really expecting a Warrior, Thief, or Minstrel.

Also, it's time to rant on the weekly DQVC sale.  Rings? Rings!?! You gotta be kidding me.  Besides the Sorcerer's Rings (which are damn rare until very late in the game and you need several to make some of the alchemized equipment, though none of it particularly great), there doesn't seem to be much of value here.  I might change my mind if a Rousing Ring shows up, since its the hardest/most expensive of the Catholicon recipe rings to make.  But I sure as hell don't need more Gold, Prayer, or Agility Rings and its getting to the point where 4 or 5 of the 6 items is standard recipe items liek Flurry Feathers or Brighten Rocks which are pentiful enough in the wild.  What I really need to see is Reckless Necklaces or Lucky Pendants.  You need a terrible amount of those (maybe 20 of them?) to make all the advanced equipment and the game gives you only three in red chests during the main story, and the rest are a puny 10% chance in Rank A chests  Yikes!  This has become a huge bottleneck to my alchenomicon, as maybe 90% of the equipment yet to make requires the Rank S equipment, the 5% or 2% dungeon clear equipment, or a Lucky Pendant.  The other 10% of equipment takes Orichalcum.

I am making short work of the grotto bosses though. Basically all I do is double Kabuff, double Magic Barrier (unless I'm up against a non-magic user like Atlas or Nemean), and double Gritty Ditty, and then go to town on them, periodically using Multiheal to keep my HP up.  100% shields on all characters doesn't hurt either. I generally find that using a Paladin (or two) and a pair of Sages makes putting up these spells in the first two turns a snap.  Paladins may be slow but they'll let you Kabuff early while your sages use Magic Barrier, plus Knight Watch rocks against the physical bosses. A single Sage with Twocus Pocus is enough to do the healing, but I like to have two along just in case a lucky hit takes down one sage I can Kazing them back to life with the other.  The first itme I fought Trauminator he nearly got me becuase he blew away my lone sage with a back-to-back Gigaslash/Laser combo and I was fortunate to get a Zing to work on the next round.  My deepest grotto cleared is level 42 now (I have a 47 that I've not tried yet).  But I have yet to find a Silver grotto as needed for Princess Simona's post-game quest and its starting to bother me.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 05:22:08 am »
Looks like we lost some posts during the transition...
It's because you posted while we were in maintenance mode.

Staff have the unique ability of being able to post even while in maintenance mode.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »
Nera showed up at the quester's rest today, and they're having a week long sale on Dragon Quest 3 items!  Hooray!  I have hunch they'll offer some helms at least on one day of this sale.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »
Veteran's Helm showed up for me tonight, but I already had one.  But this actually looks to be a good week, as three of the other five items were new equipment to me - its been weeks since that's happened.

Still working on finding a silver grotto so I can advance the damned post-game storyline... :/
Also getting bored leveling up on Slime Hill.  I miss the Metal King Slimes that thrived on DQ8's Slime Hill. Open to suggestions on a better place to level up past about level 50.