Author Topic: Star Fox  (Read 18939 times)

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Star Fox
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
Gotta get the quotes off Bolse and Venom, too. I noticed Pigma's intro dialogue was different without Peppy.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:19 pm »
This one is better:

I can't find one that has all sets of the quotes though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:41:56 am by JG »

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »
make one of your own then?

emulatorz?
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 09:56:50 am »
Not a bad idea. We'd just need some software to make the video.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »
They are great fun to listen to.

"You'll be seeing your dad soon, Fox"
"I'll do you fast, Peppy old pal."
"Stick to the pond, froggy"
"What the heck?"
"You-ah good, but I'm bett-ah!"
"Uhhh! Uncle AYndross!"

Claver

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:33 am »
"My beautiful reward!  Ah-haah haaa!"
"Daddy screamed REAL good before he died!"

That second quote I thought was kind of chilling and creepy for Star Fox.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 05:14:36 pm »
That is true.  But then again that's how Pigma rolls.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:53 am »
That is true.  But then again that's how Pigma rolls.

Don't you mean "How he barrel rolls"?

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
Don't you mean "How he barrel rolls"?

Touche.

SilentBun

• VIPER Initiate
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 06:36:40 am »
I really wish that nintendo would actually make a new Starfox game instead of a third party developer so that we may finally have a new game that would be at the same standard as Starfox 64.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 10:03:16 pm »
I really wish that nintendo would actually make a new Starfox game instead of a third party developer so that we may finally have a new game that would be at the same standard as Starfox 64.

Agreed but the franchise has been a total disaster since then.  Granted they're slowly working in the right direction (Command > Assault > Adventures) but they're a long way for nailing it on the head like they did with the original and 64.

Adventures wasn't a bad game but had far too little Arwing action and clearly felt a little out of place (as the original game in mind wasn't in the StarFox fold but was modified to be so after development began.)  Not to mention that Beyond Good & Evil came out about a year later and was basically the same game but done a helluva lot better. (Recommendation!)

Assault is just way too short, coming in at a first-time clear of around a paltry 7 or 8 hours.  With minimal replayability I tired of it after about three days.  This is one of those games that goes from $50 to $20 in about six months.  You know the type.

Command at least deviates little from the franchise storyline, and the strategy aspect is nice, but I found the stylus-based control just plain goofy.  I felt like I had to look at the bottom screen too much while all the action's supposed to be on the top.  Good in theory, poor in practice.

In all honesty I think we'd be better off if Nintendo kept the focus on the brands that work, like Mario and Zelda, and more cautiously expanded their other assets, as they've done with Metroid and are currently doing with Pikmin.  StarFox has been mismanaged to the point that I just about don't care anymore, much as Big N did with the Wario and F-Zero series. (See also Sega with Sonic, or Capcom with Mega Man.)

That's not to say though that right now's not a good opprotunity to promote the series to the Wii.  I'd love to see a (longer) Assault-type game that utilizes the Wii Zapper in the sans-Arwing stages and the Wii Wheel while piloting the Landmaster.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »
I concur with JG and SilentBun on this one.  We are long overdue for a good Starfox game in the spirit of Starfox 64

prominence

• God-Emperor
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 08:54:18 am »
I agree that Assault was way too short.  Also the stages without an Arwing could be rather annoying.  The game did feel quite a bit like the good old 64 game, especially the final mission.  A new game for their new system could come out so well, if they do it right.
The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.  -Dune-

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:25 am »
StarFox has been mismanaged to the point that I just about don't care anymore, much as Big N did with the Wario and F-Zero series. (See also Sega with Sonic, or Capcom with Mega Man.)
Really? What's been wrong with recent F-Zero games?

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
Star Fox, for me, ended with Star Fox 64.

I believe honestly, Star Fox is one of those game series that besides the blatant crap factor of the games released after a point...was actually killed by its fanbase.

If I have to read one more Star Fox fanfiction I am going to shoot nuns.

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:47 pm »
Just shoot nuns anyway...

Er...i mean...look. A distraction.
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »
If I have to read one more Star Fox fanfiction I am going to shoot nuns.

Yeah but isn't most fanfiction crappy anyways by definition?  If it was good it might actually have been published.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:16 pm »
Really? What's been wrong with recent F-Zero games?

Did you actually play either GX or GP Legend?!?  Ugh.

F-Zero is a mirror of StarFox: very good on SNES, absolutely fantastic on N64, and quite a step down in quality since then (in part by 3rd party developers screwing it all up.)   Of course F-Zero's fallen much farther, having all but been replaced in the Nintendo lineup by the Mario Kart series.

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 10:10:11 am »

F-Zero is a mirror of StarFox: very good on SNES, absolutely fantastic on N64, and quite a step down in quality since then (in part by 3rd party developers screwing it all up.)   Of course F-Zero's fallen much farther, having all but been replaced in the Nintendo lineup by the Mario Kart series.

I played GX and loved it.  Of course, the N64 version was awesome as well - randomly generated courses ftw!  Although I DO admit that a lot of the CG endings for the characters on GX were either just lol or eww altogether.  Try beating the game with Dr. Stewart (think that was his name... drives the Golden Fox) if you don't believe me...  O_o;  Regardless, I'm awaiting a Wii F-Zero game, hopefully with custom tracks as well this time; I love making my own stuff in games.  :3

On-topic, I'd also like to see a Wii Star Fox game too.  Though I enjoyed Starfox 64 over Assault, I still enjoyed some of the on-foot levels where you could switch vehicles... although putting all three in one level made things a bit unbalanced imo.  Most of the time there was hardly any room to fly around in the Arwing, it felt like.  That, and the tank felt so sluggish and awkward compared to 64... though it DID feel like a tank, lol...

VelcroStraps

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 12:34:35 pm »

I didn't play GX, but a friend of mine, who usually has good taste did, and he really enjoyed it. What specifically did you find bad about it?

I've ignored the handheld F-Zero games personally, and never really considered them major branches of the franchise, they just strike me as negligible offshoots.