Play for challenge? or fun?

Hardcore
1 (10%)
Casual
2 (20%)
Mixed
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Hardcore gaming vs. Casuals  (Read 14801 times)

MMX

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Bang the doll slowly.
Re: Hardcore gaming vs. Casuals
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »
If it's even legally allowed to refer to MMOs as "games", why then sure.

But it's not, so you're all not.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:52 pm »
Are you upset because you have no friends to play MMOs with? I'll be your friend! =D

Trapani21

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 12:25:47 am »
Those of us who play MMOs would fall under "Hardcore Gamer" automatically, I think.

Just a thought,I mean we sit and play these games for countless hours a week just grinding up to that next big advancement or whatever, hardcore gaming? Try the grind from 1-40 to get your mount in WoW. Or even worse, the grind between 30-70 in MapleStory to get your third job!

MMO players = Hardcore.
How about Turn-based strategy games? Those can take days to complete one campaign, building your territories and armies, waiting for the right moment to set out and conquer. Takes dedication to have that sort of patience.

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 01:30:57 am »
To me, MMO's are the same case as Nippon Ichi titles. It's LONG, but it's not HARD. Having patience vs. boredom is one thing; have actual gaming skill is another, along with patience to withstand huge amounts of frustration instead of boredom. Trust me: grinding in an MMO is NOTHING like having your ass handed to you about a dozen times versus a boss who has cheapness coming out the ass (and you dying solely because of a single mistake or bad luck)

The hardest of the core for RPG's is Shin Megami Tensei. Either merely playing the main-stream game (Nocturne counts as "main stream") or facing off against the Ultimate Bosses in the spin-offs RPG's requires some seriously mad skills, dedication and patience (therefore, makes instant hardcore). ALL of the ultimate bosses in the spin-offs need absolutely maxed out stats, abilities and levels. And even then, the bosses will hand your ass to you on a silver platter without the right tactics and gallons of luck.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Dragon Quest Builders, Princess Peach: Showtime!
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 11:47:05 pm »
Or maybe you're just busy/disinterested in console games?

If I was disinterested I wouldn't have bought it.  Busy is more accurate.  During the week I get maybe 2 hours of video games (about 2 one hour sessions is all I can work in) but on the weekends I can load up with quite a it more (2-4 two or three hour sessions) - giving me about ten hours a week for games.

THEN WHY DON'T YOU GIVE IT TO ME I NEED IT NOOOOOOOWWWWW ;_;

Uhm... No.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 11:54:52 pm »
Are you upset because you have no friends to play MMOs with? I'll be your friend! =D

I used to have MMO friends.  Then they got pissed at me because I kept leaving their shitty ass MMOs out of massive boredom.  And then I realized I had fucking MMO friends and I sent them all mail bombs as revenge for not fucking knocking some sense into me earliera nd reminding me that I had MMO friends and that if I was any righteous, just kind of American, I'd have killed them all, for both our sakes, ages ago.

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 11:59:05 pm »
To me, MMO's are the same case as Nippon Ichi titles. It's LONG, but it's not HARD. Having patience vs. boredom is one thing; have actual gaming skill is another, along with patience to withstand huge amounts of frustration instead of boredom. Trust me: grinding in an MMO is NOTHING like having your ass handed to you about a dozen times versus a boss who has cheapness coming out the ass (and you dying solely because of a single mistake or bad luck)

The hardest of the core for RPG's is Shin Megami Tensei. Either merely playing the main-stream game (Nocturne counts as "main stream") or facing off against the Ultimate Bosses in the spin-offs RPG's requires some seriously mad skills, dedication and patience (therefore, makes instant hardcore). ALL of the ultimate bosses in the spin-offs need absolutely maxed out stats, abilities and levels. And even then, the bosses will hand your ass to you on a silver platter without the right tactics and gallons of luck.

Yes.  That's totally hard.  Spending hours... "grinding" to max stats, and then downloading a TXT guide to help you defeat the final end boss who has more HP in his little finger than your entire party can legitimately have, only to die 1 out of 10000 attempts because luck is a factor.

Holy SHIT I can't believe you just said that.  Coming down on MMOs and grinding and then going on about a game that requires LUCK MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.  Grinding is repetition.  Whether that's doing one smallt hign for little gain repeatedly, or attemping one HUGE thing for massive gain, repeatedly.

Cashino

• 魔王
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Females beware: I have tentacles.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 02:23:10 am »
a game that requires LUCK MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE. 

Actually, all the ultimate bosses are fairly predictable and completely optional. And I might've exhagerated on the "needing gallons of luck" part. For some, luck is more for the sake of convinience and being careful can compensate for this; hell, in some cases, being clever can eliminate the need for it.

Also, the main stream games just have an insanely deep system. Aside from back attacks in the early stages of the game (which are about as uncommon as they are in most other RPG's), they don't require too much luck.

Grinding is repetition.  Whether that's doing one small thing repeatedly, or attemping one HUGE thing repeatedly.

Yes, I know. However, there's a distinct difference between doing a thing that requires little effort and a thing that requires extensive focus.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:48:03 pm by Cashino »

wakatabaka

• Casual VIPER Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 03:51:27 am »
Casual Gaming - An hour of leisure time with my wii.
Hardcore - ZOMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING OUT OF THEIR SOCKETS
(no offense to teh MMO's mind you)

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 07:44:13 pm »
MMO's tend to make people mean. At least while they're playing the MMO.

I am mostly mixed, except for 4 games:

Baten Kaitos, BK Origins, Diablo II LOD (yes, it's not dead yet), and FFTA. Freaking Moogles.

Being hardcore is fun for a little while, until you realize "Wait, I have to spend HOW many more hours until I can put on that helmet? WHAT? Emerald weapon has HOW much HP?!"
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »
BK was awesome @.@ still haven't picked up Origins for some weird reason... too lazy to find it I guess

FFTA... haven't played that in ages... at the very least you can play as multiple races unlike FFXII or Revenant Wings PFEH STUPID HUMES EVERYWHERE

Xierfrogs

• End Boss
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • How Was Your Eye Surgery, Chaos-Prostitute?
    • The Guillo Dance (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:47 pm »
BK was awesome @.@ still haven't picked up Origins for some weird reason... too lazy to find it I guess

Origins is better. (IMHO)

they made the battle system more streamlined, and took out the need to interrupt thine combos with *photograph*. Also a lot of useless magnus got taken out, like how healing magnus turned into rotten food after a while, usually right before a boss fight:

"OH NOES MIZUTI HAS 5 HP I NEED CRABCAKE PLX...*searches frantically for crabcake* WHAT YOU SAY? CRABCAKE IS TEH ROTT3N?!?!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!"
so yeah, they took out that bit there...
"The American people have spoken. And they said: 'Durr, I likes chocomut ice cream'"-The Onion

MMX

• Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:50 pm »
aww but I loved the food going rotten

I like how in order to get the cheese magnus you have to get some milk and then wait a while to get the yogurt and then wait further to get the cheese ^.^
mmmm and yet still somehow edible!