Author Topic: the fuck is up with Zangief's stupid spinning piledriver?  (Read 11148 times)

dookdookdook

the fuck is up with Zangief's stupid spinning piledriver?
« on: August 14, 2005, 06:05:42 am »
what the hell? Why did capcom make that move so stupidly impossible to do? I mean ok I know it does damage, but anybody who's anybody knows when you try to pull the move off you jump around like a dumbass like 50 fucking times.

I don't ever pick his ass just because his moves are stupidly impossible.

Capcom should invent a "stay the fuck still, bitch" button.

variable_viper

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 12:13:36 pm »
well capcom and other game developers likes to exaggerate... umm "special" moves. even though its impossible to do in real life... its nice to watch some one get pummulled with that move.

anyways, im not a zangief fan... id pick clark steel of the KoF fame anytime.

Argentina Back Breaker:
 :hcf    :k
Anime Gals' fanservice= Nose Bleeds

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 12:24:19 pm »
It's possible. I've performed Spinning Piledrivers a number of times. But if this is giving you trouble, don't play Hugo in SF3. He's got a super that's a 720 motion.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 08:02:17 pm »
For a while there, I thought you were talking about doing the move IN REAL LIFE...

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:34:15 am »
Quote from: DualSoul
For a while there, I thought you were talking about doing the move IN REAL LIFE...

<---_Would Pay to see that

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 01:31:02 pm »
Gimme a dummy and a trampoline and a video camera, and you might just see it, Bill.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 07:15:18 pm »
They made it near impossible to do because of the amount of damage it does.  In the original Street Fighter 2 Zangief's spinning pile drive did half a life bar of damage.  If anyone could do the move easily, than just imagine how cheap playing as Zangief would be.  Even though you're putting extra work into pulling the move off, it pays off because it deals a jackload of damage.

Even though the motion's rather difficult, there's ways to make it easier to pull off.

Like, for example...

If you jump in as Zangief, you can do the motion in the air, and complete it just as you land.  That way you'll throw your opponent immedietly after you hit the ground.

Plus, there are "stay the fuck still, bitch" buttons in Street Fighter 2.  If you do either Zangief's standing fierce kick or punch he'll stand still long enough for you to get the motion in in order to throw.  It takes lots of timing, but the point is that you can't move while in the middle of a standing attack.  Maybe the window of opportunity is small, but you can still buffer the motion into a throw.

Also, it's possible to do a full 360 degree motion without Zangief moving at all, but in order to do that you have to be extremely quick, or have a joystick.

One thing that's especially cool about Zangief's spinning pile driver is that unlike other special moves you can end the motion in any direction and still be able to do the move provided you've done a full 360 degree motion.  That also allows you to spam the motion.  If you do the motion twice and press punch, 2/3rds of the time the throw'll activate between the first and second 360 degree motion.

variable_viper

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:46:36 am »
hmmm.... that was very informative... anyways, correct me if im wrong. remember final fight? is hagar the 1st capcom character to ever perform teh spinning pile driver???

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:30:17 pm »
I believe so.  After all, Final Fight came before Street Fighter 2, and in the US instruction booklet for SF2 it mentions that Zangief borrowed the spinning clothesline and pile driver from Haggar.

Echelon

• Serious VIPER Fanatic
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・VIPER-RSR
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 09:36:44 pm »
Not really on the subject itself, but on the subject of Zangief ...

Easily one of the most annoying characters in MvC2. =P

Him and his stupid unblockable grabs, but I guess it does make sense, still he's just ... annoying.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 11:36:44 am »
Personally, I never used the big characters in fighting games...I think they're overly powerful and too limited as far as movement and techniques/strategys go.

I'm a speed guy.

So Zangief and Potemkin be damned!

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 11:49:46 am »
You'd be surprised what the big guys can pull out. They may not be top tier, but they've got more than enough to hold their own.

Hyperguy

• Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 02:36:55 pm »
Quote from: Echelon
Him and his stupid unblockable grabs, but I guess it does make sense, still he's just ... annoying.

It can be annoying, but you know, that's why there's throw escapes, ukemis(safe fall), and recovery rolls.  If he tries to throw you, you can throw at the same time to cancel the throw, ukemi to reduce damage if you've already been thrown, and a recovery roll to move away from your attacker if you get knocked down near them.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 11:16:13 pm »
Besides, the point of a throw is to get around a block and damage an opponent. The whole point of a throw is to deal unblockable damage.

variable_viper

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 09:39:59 am »
yup, i agree on that point besides, most big fighters have "unbreakable" throws (if you're grabbed, expect to kiss the pavement!!).

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005, 11:46:53 am »
Quote from: variable_viper
anyways, im not a zangief fan... id pick clark steel of the KoF fame anytime.

Argentina Back Breaker:
 :hcf    :k

I'm more of a Daimon man myself.  Doesn't help that Leona's the only Ikari team member I actually like either.

Other methods for landing Z's SPD.

While getting up after getting knocked down (Of course most won't be dumb enough to be that close to you while your on the ground.)

Immediately after blocking a move.  Done this tons of times after blocking Cammy's Cannon Drill in SSF2.

After missing the Banishing Fist (The green hand move he got in SSF2T.).

SF3's Alex > any other SF grappler, bar none.

:hcb  :+  :p

Can't believe it stayed the same motion for 4 games!

Honda's changed after just one into the SPD command.

Yuka Takeuchi Fan

• Loseriffic Pervert
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Yuka Takeuchi Fan's Severe Waste of Time
Re: the fuck is up with Zangief's stupid spinning piledriver?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 12:30:21 pm »
Things I just can't help but think about now...

-Actually, the SPINNING piledriver wasn't used by Haggar in Final Fight until the second game in the series. In the first one, it was the non-spinning version (so you just ground the enemy's skull into the ground, but didn't proceed to tear half his head through the gravel in the process).

-I always tend to pick the GIRL characters in video games... But imagine one of THEM with a spinning piledriver! Why, I'd pick them no matter HOW stupidly slow they moved!

-You could probably pull off about 270 degrees in mid-air with a REAL spinning piledriver, or at least that's the best I can do with my pillow so far. Suppose it doesn't help that MY vertical jump doesn't top five feet.

Civility is overrated, don't you think?

Mediocrity

• Idea Factory Fan - PLEASE IGNORE
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • the neverending sunlight is so blinding it's cruel
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 12:37:02 pm »
I can't do 360's no matter how much I try. Since I'm a Rock player in CvS2, I spend like twenty minutes trying to do his 360 command throw and I can only pull it off by accident.

Shermie's pretty much the only grappler I'm remotely skilled with, and that's because she has no 360/720.

I wish Hugo didn't exist. Poison could have just as easily been 3S' grappler, and she's infinitely easier on the eyes than half that game's cast.
"My son is sixteen, my wife is dead, and you're an asshole." - Jessie to Citan, Xenogears: A Rope of Robots, Part 19

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 03:44:01 pm »
Potemkin's a grappler with no 360s.

YeldellGW

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 09:27:41 am »
Potemkin's a grappler with no 360s.

So are most SNK grapplers.  Don't mean that SNK didn't think of commands just as annoying though...

F, B, D, U+button, never liked this one either.
Gaira's new throw command in SSZ-SSZS, wtf was wrong with the old command?!