Forum > Japanese Pop Culture

Otaku

(1/11) > >>

HMD:
This is for discussion of otaku. I personally detest them. There's a fine line between playing video games and watching anime, and posting stupid shit on a message board at Hyperguy's expense (literally; he pays money so you can act stupid).

What are your views on otaku culture, or lack thereof?

R-9:
I think that anyone who uses the word "Otaku" casually doesn't know what the word actually means.

Albert Einstein loved science, but Nikola Tesla actually forgot who he was when he was engrossed in his work. An "Otaku" would be the fanboy equivalent of Tesla. Or a Red Sox fan. True Otaku will self-destruct on their own. The rest aren't worth directing even the tiniest measure of impotent rage towards. I have real concerns that leave me no room for such a wasteful indulgence.

tsar:
Let's deport them. They're on the wrong side of the Pacific.

HMD:
Khris you said it wrong. I thought I made it clear that it will always be the wrong side of the Pacific.

Jesus.

R-9:
Now that I have finished my Plutarch, I can now enact a more complete summation of my feelings on this issue.

The anime fandom is not deserving of any more scorn than sports, nor wrestling, or any other fandom that inspires fierce devotion in its followers. They have not attempted any harm to me, including but not limited to the following.

-They have not attempted physical injury upon me, my fellows, my family, nor the porperty of all listed.

-They have not spread lies, nor sullied my honor in any other way.

-They have not pushed upon me intoxicants, any manner of smokable leaf, halluciogenic reagents or pills, opiates, nor any powder or stone created from the coca plant.

-They have not pushed upon me any form of religious conversion.

-They have borne not other malice against me, lasting or otherwise.

It is perhaps noteworthy that most of the other denominations of society have attempted one or more of such actions against me previously. To give in to a paleolithic proto-emotion would show an unforgivable weakness of character on my part. My mind, thankfully, is ruled by reason.

A single point, however, may be conceded: Giving in entirely to the stereotypes and preconceptions of one's culture or subculture does one no boon. In my interactions with the greater fandom, I have indeed met many charming ladies. While not exactly "fantasy girls", I believe I was better off knowing them and enjoying their company. If you can't look past something as trivial as yaoi, there is really little more to say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version